Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Rand Paul Should Stand His Ground - RightNation.US

-----
Kentucky Senate candidate Rand Paul has generated controversy over remarks regarding the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The drama culminated during an appearance on Rachel Maddow’s show on MSNBC where Paul stated, had he been in office at the time, he would have worked to change Title II of the bill, the part which entitles all persons to “full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation… without discrimination on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.” Paul expressed his belief that Title II is an encroachment upon private ownership rights.

The resulting hubbub has included Paul canceling a scheduled appearance on “Meet the Press” this Sunday. “I think [Paul] just had a long week and seems to not want to talk any more or keep his commitment,” NBC executive producer Betsy Fischer told the Huffington Post.

In a statement released since the Maddow appearance, Paul states:

I believe we should work to end all racism in American society and staunchly defend the inherent rights of every person. I have clearly stated in prior interviews that I abhor racial discrimination and would have worked to end segregation. Even though this matter was settled when I was 2, and no serious people are seeking to revisit it except to score cheap political points, I unequivocally state that I will not support any efforts to repeal the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Let me be clear: I support the Civil Rights Act because I overwhelmingly agree with the intent of the legislation, which was to stop discrimination in the public sphere and halt the abhorrent practice of segregation and Jim Crow laws.

Paul would have been well-advised to make his appearance on “Meet the Press” and defend his position. Paul went out of his way on Maddow’s show to unequivocally state his opposition to racism and institutional discrimination. Those comments have been ignored in favor of leveraging his libertarian stance to paint him as a reactionary bigot. Paul should not let that stand.

The appearance on “Meet the Press” would provide further opportunity to advocate a sober view of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as opposed to the sacrosanct space it currently occupies. Despite its necessity, the Civil Rights Act was a tragedy. It demonstrated the failure of many people to self-govern. Liberty requires self-governance, the ability to restrain one’s self from violating the inalienable rights of others. There is a direct relationship between a people’s ability to self-govern and their ability to retain liberty. This is why John Quincy Adams said, “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” In the absence of moral behavior, external government will fill the void; and external government never does the job as well as the internal variety.

Paul could easily make this argument, which is essentially the synthesis of his comments on record. As his campaign proceeds, hopefully he will keep in mind that it is not necessary to win over the antagonistic liberal media, only the plurality of Kentucky voters.

8 Comments On This Entry

If people would just listen to him, then they'd realize what he meant. The problem is, very few people listen anymore.
Posted Image

I can't imagine why people would think Ron and Rand Paul are racists...

It's certainly understandable that people would have a problem with dogmatic adherence to libertarianism being taken so far as to encourage that businesses be allowed to discriminate, right?

maxpower01, on May 22 2010, 11:04 AM, said:

Posted Image

I can't imagine why people would think Ron and Rand Paul are racists...

It's certainly understandable that people would have a problem with dogmatic adherence to libertarianism being taken so far as to encourage that businesses be allowed to discriminate, right?

You don't, can't, or choose not to recognize the difference between "allow" and "encourage"?

So, to follow said reasoning, anything that the government does not prohibit, is thus encouraged. Interesting...
I've seen this pic bandied about before. As we all well know, politicians have their pictures taken with random people all the time. It is not an expression of their beliefs. God forbid someone determine my beliefs by the company I've kept, or the pictures I've been in. It certainly wouldn't be accurate.

Businesses discriminate all the time, as do individuals. We teach children from the moment they can comprehend speech to discriminate against strangers; something most of them do naturally anyway. It's a survival mechanism. Discrimination is good. Discrimination is necessary.

Of course it is reprehensible to discriminate based on no other criteria than race or color. But something being reprehensible is not reason enough to make it illegal. What natural right of mine is violated by a store owner refusing to do business with me? The answer is none, as demonstrated by the necessity to craft a civil right to make such discrimination illegal.
So institutionalized racism and the widespread treatment of a segment of the population as second-class citizens should not be illegal? I think you are failing to really consider the full historical context of what was being fought against here. This isn't the case of a single private business deciding for whatever reason to refuse service to certain people. Blacks were treated as second-class citizens across the board, even 100 years after the end of the Civil War. This was an unacceptable situation for a civilized country, and it was dealt with, albeit far too late.

And yes, Ron Paul was just "randomly" posing for a picture with former KKK grand wizard and White Supremacist Stormfront founder Don Black. This was after he randomly kept campaign contributions from said White Supremacist, and after he said he would have voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and well after he published all sorts of racist garbage in his newsletter. He's certainly not a racist to any degree.
Institutionalized racism is a separate issue, as you plainly state. If you look at what Rand Paul actually said, he made it very clear institutionalized racism was unacceptable, and that he would have "marched with Martin Luther King Jr." to fight against it. In fact, he repeatedly asserts his wholehearted agreement with every aspect of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 except aspects of Title II which encroach upon private property rights. There is no room for misinterpreting him without malicious intent.

You'll forgive me for not trusting your judgment of some of Ron Paul's previous comments. Cite them. As for accepting campaign contributions and having photos taken, again, these are not actions which define one's views. Frankly, I could care less if either Paul is racist. That's the beauty of their libertarian ideology; its application prevents racism from becoming institutionalized! I'm far more concerned with the racist views underlying Progressivism, because its implemention actually intrudes upon my inalienable rights.

Walter Scott Hudson, on May 23 2010, 03:54 AM, said:

Institutionalized racism is a separate issue, as you plainly state. If you look at what Rand Paul actually said, he made it very clear institutionalized racism was unacceptable, and that he would have "marched with Martin Luther King Jr." to fight against it. In fact, he repeatedly asserts his wholehearted agreement with every aspect of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 except aspects of Title II which encroach upon private property rights. There is no room for misinterpreting him without malicious intent.

You'll forgive me for not trusting your judgment of some of Ron Paul's previous comments. Cite them. As for accepting campaign contributions and having photos taken, again, these are not actions which define one's views. Frankly, I could care less if either Paul is racist. That's the beauty of their libertarian ideology; its application prevents racism from becoming institutionalized! I'm far more concerned with the racist views underlying Progressivism, because its implemention actually intrudes upon my inalienable rights.

He'll cite something, probably an old and obscure newsletter that a friend of a friend authored or Dr. Paul edited. We've been round this bend before only then it was Republicans trashing Ron Paul and declaring him guilty by association.
MSNBC "doctored" the transcripts.
If you click on the above link it will take you to an article proving MSNBC doctored the transcript where Maddow interviewed Rand.
If you listen to the video and then read what the MSNBC transcript of the interview says, it is NOT the same.

I can't believe that crap journalists, not satisfied with telling you what to think now insist on telling you what you heard, too.
Page 1 of 1

Recent Entries

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Google

Righters' Blog Archive

Conservative's Forum

Conservative's Forum - Conservative news and discussion Forum.