Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: A Work Band, A Work in Process - RightNation.US

-----
A Work Band, A Work in Process

stickin_damud

If you have ventured to my RN page, you will have seen a black and white picture of a young lad perched at a snare drum with a goofy smile on his face. His smile shows the enjoyment he has in playing his instrument. That boy is me, of course. I have blogged about the experience of putting on a rock show for elementary students, and that I've been involved with music since I was 5 and have been in semi-serious bands for going on 30 years now.

Today, with a wife and children, the time I have for music is limited. But there is a group of guys at work with which I have been getting together for about 2 years now. We get together on the odd Friday lunch hour to practice. Other times we e-mail back and forth different song ideas to try out for some upcoming practice session. Thus far we've played 2 times for our fellow employees:

Dec 2005 - a pre Christmas show
Oct 2006 - a pumpkin carving contest (don't laugh....I said stop laughing!!!) :rolleyes:

I know, I know, not very glamorous but I've decided to go back and compile the list of songs we have put together. It really surprised me given the limited amount of practice time we have how many songs we have down. Practicing on average 1-2 hours per month since October of 2005 we have put together this list:

Pickin’ Up the Pieces – Average White Band
Shotgun – Jr. Walker and the All Stars
Soul Man – Sam and Dave
What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye
Pretty Woman – Roy Orbison
Stray Cat Strut – The Stray Cats
Crossfire – Stevie Ray Vaughn
Pride and Joy – Stevie Ray Vaughn
Free Ride – Edgar Winter Group
Little Wing – Jimi Hendrix
Swingtown – Steve Miller Band
Comin’ Home Baby – Dave Sanborn
Right By Your Side – Dave Coz
Moondance – Van Morrison
Domino – Van Morrison
Who Can It Be Now – Men at Work
867-5309 Jenny – Tommy Tutone
Mustang Sally – Wilson Pickett
Zoot Suit Riot – Cherry Poppin’ Daddies
Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen
Brick House – The Commodores
Morning Dance – Spyro Gyra
Red Red Wine – UB40 (Neil Diamond)
Urgent - Foreigner
If I Only Had a Brain – Harold Arlen (Wizard of Oz)
On Broadway – The Drifters
Mister Magic – Grover Washington, Jr.
Giving It Up for Your Love – Delbert McClinton
This Masquerade – George Benson

Now, just a note about how we pick songs. We have two guitar players who can switch between lead and rhythm, a bass player, a saxaphone player, and me the drummer. One of the guitar players and I do limited vocals (for me, it's very limited - Urgent and Money and back-ups to a few songs). We mainly try and do songs that have a sax part or where the sax can play the vocal line.

What do you think of our list? Quite the diverse musical styles but mostly revolving around rock, blues, and jazz.

We are available to play gigs in the Portland area during our Friday lunch hour, if anyone is interested.

0 Comments On This Entry

Stuff

Posted Image

Recent Entries

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Yahoo

Search My Blog