Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: All Things Irish - RightNation.US

-----

All Things Irish

In preparation for tomorrow's festivities, here are are a few Cliff Clavenesque little known facts about the Irish:

The origins of "The Luck of the Irish" from Mental Floss...

“During the gold and silver rush years in the second half of the 19th century, a number of the most famous and successful miners were of Irish and Irish American birth. . . .Over time this association of the Irish with mining fortunes led to the expression ‘luck of the Irish.’ Of course, it carried with it a certain tone of derision, as if to say, only by sheer luck, as opposed to brains, could these fools succeed.”

Irish History Trivia

Dublin was founded in 988.

Jonathan Swift's tombstone reads, "He is now where fierce indignation can no longer tear his heart"

The Titanic was built at Harland & Wolff shipyard.

Saint Brendan is said to have discovered America 1000 years before Columbus. [Which would explain the Indians' fondness for fire water.]

Irish National Anthem

My Mind is Clean

18 Comments On This Entry

Click on the video and read the lyrics. This is one of my favorite Irish pub songs.

Three of the four are WELL-known (Titanic, Dublin, St Brendan).

scotsman, on 16 March 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

As Meatloaf would say, two out of three ain't bad. But since it's not two out of three, blow it out your ear.

MADGestic, on 16 March 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

Click on the video and read the lyrics. This is one of my favorite Irish pub songs.

Outstanding. :)

MADGestic, on 16 March 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

That is great. I am still rolling on the floor.

Mr. Naron, on 16 March 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

As Meatloaf would say, two out of three ain't bad. But since it's not two out of three, blow it out your ear.

I apologise for not being educated in America, and therefore actually knowing something about Ireland. If the three facts I mentioned are 'little known' to Americans, that says volumes about your education standards and your knowledge of other countries and cultures.
Both of which, the latter especially, are regarded by the rest of the world as a joke.
Scotsman,

US citizens know very little about their own country as well. It has to do with the cultural attitudes towards education and the bureacraticy the permiates the education system. The best thing they can do is to make education voluntary, allow parents to choose where and how students get the education, and get the federal government out of education all together.
bureaucracy that permeates, not bureacraticy the permiates.
Dodger:

Thanks for the reply. I hope I wasnt sounding too unpleasant about America and Americans, that wasnt and isnt my intent. As if I thought you are all ignorant yokels. That point was more about how the education clearly lets down Americans at a basic level. Not that you are naturally ignorant.

Rest assured, we in the UK are not all much better.

My point was to point out to the OP that the facts he thinks are little known are actually well known (with THAT film and all the documentaries since the late 90's, does anyone not know that the Titanic was built in Belfast?, my ten year old niece knows that). I'd expect most Americans to where the Titanic was built, to have heard of St Brendan's voyage, and some to know Dublin was a Viking city. At the very least, I would say the Titanic fact is extremely well known, St Brendan's to be fairly well known. Dublin an ancient city?, I'd expect most Americans to assume that even if they wouldnt know the exact date or the Viking origin/Viking conquest of Ireland.

American education and knowledge should be the shining example to everyone else. Sadly the opposite seems to be true: we learn from you how NOT to educate. Which is very sad.
I wasn't offended at all. I am a teacher in this system. I know first hand how it has failed and how the parents and bureacrats contribute to the failure.

You also have to remember with multiculturalism being a big priority in our system over the last 15 years European History has sort of taken a back seat. Since our population in our district is about 80% Mexican the push has been more towards Chicano studies and the influence of minorities in history. Perhaps in a place like Boston where the Irish population is much greater, they may know more about Irish historical facts than us Californians.

scotsman, on 17 March 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Mr. Naron, on 16 March 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

I apologise for not being educated in America, and therefore actually knowing something about Ireland. If the three facts I mentioned are 'little known' to Americans, that says volumes about your education standards and your knowledge of other countries and cultures. Both of which, the latter especially, are regarded by the rest of the world as a joke.

You're ignorant. I was referencing a TV character named Cliff Craven who always used the phrase "little known fact". It was a joke like you.
I loved Cheers, and Cliff was a my favourite character. John Ratzenberger (who lived in the UK for ten years before stardom) is a favourite actor of mine.

You said 'Clavenesque little known facts'. How else am I supposed to read that other than the facts you are about to impart ARE truly little known?. Thats the way I read it: that the facts in your post are not well known. My reply was to point out that they may be, but only in your country.

That some unpleasant disposition and temper you have btw. I am thankful you dont teach any of my family.

Perhaps in a place like Boston where the Irish population is much greater, they may know more about Irish historical facts than us Californians.

Ha ha.

The Boston Irish knowing any real Irish history?. Not a chance.

scotsman, on 17 March 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

I loved Cheers, and Cliff was a my favourite character. John Ratzenberger (who lived in the UK for ten years before stardom) is a favourite actor of mine. You said 'Clavenesque little known facts'. How else am I supposed to read that other than the facts you are about to impart ARE truly little known?. Thats the way I read it: that the facts in your post are not well known. My reply was to point out that they may be, but only in your country. That some unpleasant disposition and temper you have btw. I am thankful you dont teach any of my family.

You're like an annoying in-law. I have to phrase everything so you don't bite take it the wrong way. Not interested.

As for my disposition, I'm only irritated by you, Ole Miss and my 6th period class. Other than that I'm the happiest man alive.

scotsman, on 17 March 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Perhaps in a place like Boston where the Irish population is much greater, they may know more about Irish historical facts than us Californians.
Ha ha. The Boston Irish knowing any real Irish history?. Not a chance.

we actually agree on something. :D
Now, which way to the pub in Muckanaghederdauhaulia?
Here is another bit or "Irish Trivia", one that the Irish probably would like suppressed.

The Irish were the only ethnic group in American History to take up arms against America and join its enemy as an official brigade of the enemy military. In the Mexican American War of 1846-1848 they fought against the US as an official unit of the Mexican Army. They were known as the St Patricios ("St Patrick") brigade and killed many of their countrymen.

The bunkum that this traitorous unit was somehow not primarily an Irish construct is put to the lie as the unit's flag was an all-Irish symbology "Erin Go Braugh"

It is a blaring example of believers choosing allegiance to their religion over their nation. Is it any wonder that there was a question of Kennedy's loyalty to the nation versus his Catholic Religion? Catholics, especially Irish Catholics may not like this historical fact, but that doesn't change that fact.
Page 1 of 1

7 user(s) viewing

6 Guests
1 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Google,  Mr. Naron

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.