Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Top Five Greatest Warriors - RightNation.US

-----
Marcus Luttrell has written the forward to an interesting sounding book called The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps, and How I Trained America’s Deadliest Marksmen. It gets me to thinking how someone like Luttrell would rank among history's greatest warriors. He's got some of the most advanced training of all time. I bet at his peak he was in about the best physical shape of any warrior ever.

I by no means consider myself an expert on what makes a great warrior other than my understanding of his exploits. There have been countless warriors whose deeds probably deserve mention in any kind of list like this, but their names somehow didn't get written down or aren't well known to the average person.

My criteria is simple: it has to be someone who actually fought in combat and not just led an army. Famous generals don't count unless they did actual fighting.

5. Audie Murphy

As far as I know, the most famous American soldier from the biggest war in history who earned more than two dozen medals including the CMH. Like Sargent York from World War I, Murphy was from humble beginnings and seemed to just have a knack for combat.

4. David

Whether you believe it or not, dude killed Goliath. Sure he had God's help, but I might have pretended I didn't hear anything. He went on to lead a team of ancient commandos to unify his kingdom. Some of the stories are pretty harrowing.

3. Miyamoto Musashi

This is one of those guys who was trained since he could walk. I'm not exactly sure how his formalized style would stand up to others on this list, but I've held a real katana and it scared the crap out of me. So, although I know King David and Audie Murphy would fight dirty if they had to, I doubt they could hang with this dude if he had his sword.

2. Robert L. Howard

I rank him above Murphy because Vietnam was such a nasty war. I can't really say with any accuracy that he was a better fighter, though. He did make a career out of the military, so that's something. Oh, and he won a CMH and was put up for two more.

1. Samson

I know, he's a mythical figure. I might as well put up Hercules. But, no. Samson was a real dude even if you don't believe he was given super-duper strength by God. I believe he was, and he did whoop an entire army with the jawbone of an ass. Plus I like typing "jawbone of an ass".

My Mind is Clean

18 Comments On This Entry

I like your list, mind if I share mine.

5. Professor X - Leader, mentor, mental butt kicker ..and all without the American's with Disabilities Act.

4. Hank Hill - Make no mistake, the war against lazy jackassery is raging and setting a good example isn't as easy as it looks.

3. Goliath - From the 90's cartoon Gargoyles. If you watched, then you know.

2. Thrall - For the horde.

1. Moms - If raising the likes of us isn't a war then what is?
Alexander the Great?

MADGestic, on 13 April 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

Alexander the Great?

Hard to say. He was absolutely one of the greatest military leaders of all time. I'm not exactly sure of his personal combat skills.

needmoreammo, on 13 April 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

I like your list, mind if I share mine.5. Professor X - Leader, mentor, mental butt kicker ..and all without the American's with Disabilities Act.4. Hank Hill - Make no mistake, the war against lazy jackassery is raging and setting a good example isn't as easy as it looks.3. Goliath - From the 90's cartoon Gargoyles. If you watched, then you know.2. Thrall - For the horde.1. Moms - If raising the likes of us isn't a war then what is?

The only real one on the list. And he's only real because they patterned him after my dad.
1. My Dad
2. Audie Murphy
3. Alvin York
4. John Basilone
5. Anyone who has served in the US Army, Navy, Air force, Marines, Coast Guard.
1. Audie Murphy WWII

2. Matt Urban WWII

3. Robt. L. Howard 1 MoH, recommended for three. Viet Nam

4 & 5. Gary Gordon and Randall Shughart Somalia
1--William Wallace
2--Otto Skorzeny
3--David Stirling
4--Audie Murphy
5--Paddy Mayne

'Reserve five'
1-Robert The Bruce
2-Chesty Puller
3-Lord Lovat
4-Blondie Hasler
5-Alvin York
Might I suggest Badass of the Week? It's exactly what it sounds like. Entries include teddy Roosevelt, The Viking at Stamford Bridge, King David, and - my favorite - Australia.
Hon Mention

Ultimate Warrior

I like your list, mind if I share mine.5. Professor X - Leader, mentor, mental butt kicker ..and all without the American's with Disabilities Act.4. Hank Hill - Make no mistake, the war against lazy jackassery is raging and setting a good example isn't as easy as it looks.3. Goliath - From the 90's cartoon Gargoyles. If you watched, then you know.2. Thrall - For the horde.1. Moms - If raising the likes of us isn't a war then what is?

Thrall is no warrior! Thrall is a green-skinned Nelson Mandela. Screw Thrall.

Saurfang the Elder? Now THERE'S a warrior!
Reminds me of a story:

The teacher asked the class to give stories demonstrating words of wisdom. A girl talked about the farmer's daughter who tripped and spilled the morning's eggs because she carried them all at once: Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

A boy talked about the kid who went out to play in a pair of pants that had a little hole in the seat without waiting for his mom to fix them, and then the hole ripped through and his friends laughed at him: A stitch in time may save nine.

Then I got up and started in about the time my uncle, a Screaming Eagle, jumped out of the plane with a bottle of Budweiser in his hand, and drank it on the way down. When he landed, he was surrounded by dozens of VC. Without hesitating, my uncle shot five of them before his rifle jammed. He fixed his bayonet and stabbed and slashed ten more before the bayonet got stuck in a VC's ribs. Then he used the rifle as a club and beat another five of them to death before it broke it half. Then he pulled out his 1911 and emptied three magazines into them before beating another one with the empty gun. Then he pulled out his brass knuckles and punched and kicked another ten of them, then finally he jammed the empty Budweiser bottle right up the last one's butt!

The teacher was looking nauseous as she begged me to stop. "What words of wisdom does THAT violent display illustrate?"

I looked around the class and proudly replied, "NEVER mess with my uncle when he's drinking!"

JimNEPA, on 14 April 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Reminds me of a story:The teacher asked the class to give stories demonstrating words of wisdom. A girl talked about the farmer's daughter who tripped and spilled the morning's eggs because she carried them all at once: Don't put all your eggs in one basket.A boy talked about the kid who went out to play in a pair of pants that had a little hole in the seat without waiting for his mom to fix them, and then the hole ripped through and his friends laughed at him: A stitch in time may save nine.Then I got up and started in about the time my uncle, a Screaming Eagle, jumped out of the plane with a bottle of Budweiser in his hand, and drank it on the way down. When he landed, he was surrounded by dozens of VC. Without hesitating, my uncle shot five of them before his rifle jammed. He fixed his bayonet and stabbed and slashed ten more before the bayonet got stuck in a VC's ribs. Then he used the rifle as a club and beat another five of them to death before it broke it half. Then he pulled out his 1911 and emptied three magazines into them before beating another one with the empty gun. Then he pulled out his brass knuckles and punched and kicked another ten of them, then finally he jammed the empty Budweiser bottle right up the last one's butt!The teacher was looking nauseous as she begged me to stop. "What words of wisdom does THAT violent display illustrate?"I looked around the class and proudly replied, "NEVER mess with my uncle when he's drinking!"

:biglaugh:
Spencer Chapman.

Google him.

Scootaloo, on 14 April 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Thrall is no warrior! Thrall is a green-skinned Nelson Mandela. Screw Thrall.Saurfang the Elder? Now THERE'S a warrior!

Thrall? Saurfang? Are you two stuck back in WOTLK?

The greatest warrior in WOW is got to be Budd.
Meh. Everyone on the list so far is a bunch of bedwetting nancy-boys compared to REAL historical warriors. A real warrior is often a leader too but always a warrior first.

#5 Attilla the Hun

#4 Genghis Khan

#3 Tamarlane

#2 Julius Caesar. He could have had a relatively easy life as the son of a patrician, but instead joined the army and worked his way up by distinguishing himself in a number of battles. Even when he made it to General, he could have retired comfortably, but instead he takes on his own leaders... and wins. When he crossed the Rubicon river with his troops - "The Die is Cast" - he knew there were only two possible outcomes: Win or die trying. No surrender or reteat would have been possible, because the mere act of crossing the Rubicon with troops automatically invoked the death penalty under Roman law. And of course a REAL warrior understands that there are always only ever two possible outcomes anyway.

#1 ALARIC I. Julius Caesar may have built Rome into an empire, but this dude took it down.

Adam Smithee, on 15 April 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Meh. Everyone on the list so far is a bunch of bedwetting nancy-boys compared to REAL historical warriors. A real warrior is often a leader too but always a warrior first.#5 Attilla the Hun#4 Genghis Khan#3 Tamarlane#2 Julius Caesar. He could have had a relatively easy life as the son of a patrician, but instead joined the army and worked his way up by distinguishing himself in a number of battles. Even when he made it to General, he could have retired comfortably, but instead he takes on his own leaders... and wins. When he crossed the Rubicon river with his troops - "The Die is Cast" - he knew there were only two possible outcomes: Win or die trying. No surrender or reteat would have been possible, because the mere act of crossing the Rubicon with troops automatically invoked the death penalty under Roman law. And of course a REAL warrior understands that there are always only ever two possible outcomes anyway.#1 ALARIC I. Julius Caesar may have built Rome into an empire, but this dude took it down.

Did you read the post? Military leaders aren't the topic unless they were personally renowned for their combat skills.

And I'll bet Audie Murphy would kick Julius Caesar's balls up above his shoulder blades.

Mr. Naron, on 15 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Did you read the post? Military leaders aren't the topic unless they were personally renowned for their combat skills.And I'll bet Audie Murphy would kick Julius Caesar's balls up above his shoulder blades.

And all of them were highly regarded warriors before they were leaders.

Take Julius Caesar for instance. With all the focus on his later life as a general and as a politician, it's easy to forget that before that he was one of the most highly decorated Roman soldiers of the era - he more-or-less was the Audie Murphy of his day. He'd won the Civic Crown, which was roughly comparable to winning the Congressional Medal of Honor today. (Later emporeres, not to be outdone, awarded it to themselves... but Julius Caesar earned it at the siege of Mytilene)

Adam Smithee, on 15 April 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Mr. Naron, on 15 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Did you read the post? Military leaders aren't the topic unless they were personally renowned for their combat skills.And I'll bet Audie Murphy would kick Julius Caesar's balls up above his shoulder blades.
And all of them were highly regarded warriors before they were leaders. Take Julius Caesar for instance. With all the focus on his later life as a general and as a politician, it's easy to forget that before that he was one of the most highly decorated Roman soldiers of the era - he more-or-less was the Audie Murphy of his day. He'd won the Civic Crown, which was roughly comparable to winning the Congressional Medal of Honor today. (Later emporeres, not to be outdone, awarded it to themselves... but Julius Caesar earned it at the siege of Mytilene)

Fair enough. Still doesn't mean they could whoop Murphy.
Page 1 of 1

2 user(s) viewing

2 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Yahoo

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.