Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Are Faith and Reason Opposed? - RightNation.US

-----
This Scottish gentleman, Stuart McAllister, spoke at our church this morning. Surprisingly, he was intelligent and interesting. ;)

He did a very good job of explaining how faith and reason are not in opposition in his sermon this morning. The above clip is a good overview of his talk. Below is a good little discussion of why apologetics are important to individual Christians:

My question to those who believe that faith and reason cannot coexist is why do you believe things you've never seen? By this I mean things that you have heard of being proven but never seen yourself. None of us were on the moon when Neil Armstrong stepped off the lander, but we believe he did. Our reason gets us there. Why is faith in God any different?

My Mind is Clean

9 Comments On This Entry

Much of what individuals know is fiduciary knowledge, not knowledge based on experience. We live by faith and reason all day long. I like one of the ways JP II described it in his encyclical Fides et Ratio when he said, "Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth".
I think part of it is that we do not like admitting that we rely on faith as much as we do. Mr. Stain is correct that most of our knowledge in this day and age is fiduciary or second-hand knowledge. It is scary to think that those who control the passing on of this knowledge also control its content. I think it always comes back to Psalm 1 - the desire to deny what we really owe God and to see His ways as chains that bind us that need casting off.
I believe it's usually a question of how large a role either should play, not necessarily a black and white situation. Disbelief in evolution, or belief in creationism, for example, would take a large portion of faith. Or, so they say.

Some people think faith should play a very small role. I think it should play a much larger role. In both cases faith and reason aren't necessarily opposed, their balance is just very different.

For me, faith is the starting point. I believe in God first, then reason the world from there. I think that's the case with everyone. We have to first believe something. Even the most hardened atheist has to first believe that their senses aren't fooling them.

Bob the nobody, on 23 April 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

I believe it's usually a question of how large a role either should play, not necessarily a black and white situation. Disbelief in evolution, or belief in creationism, for example, would take a large portion of faith. Or, so they say.Some people think faith should play a very small role. I think it should play a much larger role. In both cases faith and reason aren't necessarily opposed, their balance is just very different.For me, faith is the starting point. I believe in God first, then reason the world from there. I think that's the case with everyone. We have to first believe something. Even the most hardened atheist has to first believe that their senses aren't fooling them.

But did you just choose to believe in God without any evidence? That's what most people think faith is.
'This Scottish gentleman, Stuart McAllister, spoke at our church this morning. Surprisingly, he was intelligent and interesting.'

:D

Ya cheeky bas.

scotsman, on 23 April 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

'This Scottish gentleman, Stuart McAllister, spoke at our church this morning. Surprisingly, he was intelligent and interesting.' :D Ya cheeky bas.

I can't remember if it was the little angel or devil that told me to do it. Probably both. ;)
Just as well Stuart is a god-loving peaceful man. He's a big man fae the rough side of Glasgow. The toughest city in Scotland, Britain and probably Europe.

I suggest, Naron my friend, you dont ever anger him. Believe me, you can never quite take the Glesga boy oot completely. LOL.

scotsman, on 23 April 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

Just as well Stuart is a god-loving peaceful man. He's a big man fae the rough side of Glasgow. The toughest city in Scotland, Britain and probably Europe.I suggest, Naron my friend, you dont ever anger him. Believe me, you can never quite take the Glesga boy oot completely. LOL.

I'll try to stay on his good side. Good thing you warned me because the next time I saw him, I was going to say something insulting. Dodged a bullet on that one.
LOL.
Page 1 of 1

2 user(s) viewing

2 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.