Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: No One Gives a Crap About Jazz - RightNation.US

-----
Posted Image

I've been mostly enjoying Kiefer Sutherland's new show, Touch even if it should be called Coincidental Coincidences Coincidentally Coinciding With Coincidences.

Just once, I'd like a show like this to tell the truth about how the world really deals with jazz aficionados.

Let me explain with mild spoilers for those of you yet to see Thursday's episode. As with each of the previous episodes, there's a chain of people interconnected in an unexpected way. Usually, you can predict the big reveal a mile away, but it still keeps you guessing. Anyway, in Thursday's episode, one of the people in the chain is a real estate developer who just closed a multi-million dollar deal to demolish an old hotel and put up a new high rise. Yeah, like that's happening in this economy. The problem is, our boy is a huge jazz fan, you know, the kind who will name drop one or two artists everyone has heard of and one obscure one so that every one knows this dude is really into jazz.

After an incident that would leave most people thinking about family or God, this guy decides that life is too short to let an old hotel where jazz musicians used to hang out get demolished. The scene with the biggest waste of opportunity in TV history is when he comes back to his office and one of his bosses is congratulating him on closing such a lucrative deal. Our boy starts going on about what a shame it will be to destroy such a piece of history and why it should be made into a museum. His boss could have looked at him and said, "No one gives a crap about jazz."

I would have given it a five minute standing ovation in my living room.

I mean, really, TV and movie writers? No one cares that much about jazz, yet you're always creating characters who either won't shut up about it or risk their lives to pay homage to it. Nothing like that ever happens, or at least it shouldn't. If it does, you have my permission to write an entire movie showing what clowns they are.

What did the real estate executive say? I can't remember exactly. He looked confused and muttered something about $14 million. I'd like to think he thought of the "No one gives a crap about jazz" line on the way home, but the show moved onto the next coincidence.

Oh, and Kiefer Sutherland is always out of breath and hasn't learned any new curse words since 24 and Danny Glover can't speak above a whisper.

My Mind is Clean

10 Comments On This Entry

Truer words were never spoken, my friend. 'Nuff said.

Incidentally last weekend I met a cat who saw the VH tour last month. They opened with Mean Street and did nothing but old and new Dave stuff. My concert budget is tapped out for now, or I might seriously grab some tix for that show.

rocketraccoon, on 23 April 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Truer words were never spoken, my friend. 'Nuff said.Incidentally last weekend I met a cat who saw the VH tour last month. They opened with Mean Street and did nothing but old and new Dave stuff. My concert budget is tapped out for now, or I might seriously grab some tix for that show.

Same here. VH is one of the few shows I haven't seen yet. It'd be a real shame to miss them before the break up again.
I bet you loooooove Treme Chris!

Taliesin, on 23 April 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

I bet you loooooove Treme Chris!

I don't have HBO. Love New Orleans though.
I like Jazz. :nanner: I got into it mostly because of the jazz influenced rock bands like Chicago and Steely Dan. Even took a History of Jazz class in college.

Of course I wouldn't risk $14 million to save something that very few people like. And I too would have clapped if he said, "No one gives a crap about Jazz!" Admittedly, that is true.
What I mean by Chicago, I am talking the real Chicago from the first two albums, with Terry Kath. Not that gay KOST easy listening Peter Cetera crap

Dodgerking, on 24 April 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

What I mean by Chicago, I am talking the real Chicago from the first two albums, with Terry Kath. Not that gay KOST easy listening Peter Cetera crap

Oh, so that is what happened to Chicago! I agree with you, the first two albums are the only ones to listen to. And I like Steely Dan, too.
Weeeeell, depends on what sort of Jazz you're talking about. For instance? Behold free jazz:

(don't let your dog hear this mess, he'll never forgive you. And your loved ones will never respect you again after knowing you listened to that.)

But this is not ALL jazz. I give you Eva Cassidy:

How about some Nina Simone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn5tiuZU4JI

OH MY GOD I LOVE JAZZ NOW! you might be saying. Yes, yes you do, even if you don't admit it.

Basically there's three strains of Jazz. There's the kind like hte two I just blessed your ears with, that grab you by the booboo and take you for a ride. Then there's the bulk of instrumental jazz, which is basically the Cosby Show soundtrack, John Coltrane and the like.

And then there's free jazz. You know that one "expressionist" painter who made art by squirting paint onto canvass from his... uh,,, well, from his large intestine, we shall say? Replace the paint with a saxaphone, while he's headbanging on an electric keyboard, and that's free jazz; music for musicians who really, really suck at music.

Scootaloo, on 25 April 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Weeeeell, depends on what sort of Jazz you're talking about. For instance? Behold free jazz:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzOzgYL1-o(don't let your dog hear this mess, he'll never forgive you. And your loved ones will never respect you again after knowing you listened to that.)But this is not ALL jazz. I give you Eva Cassidy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-eyS1uluuYHow about some Nina Simone?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn5tiuZU4JIOH MY GOD I LOVE JAZZ NOW! you might be saying. Yes, yes you do, even if you don't admit it. Basically there's three strains of Jazz. There's the kind like hte two I just blessed your ears with, that grab you by the booboo and take you for a ride. Then there's the bulk of instrumental jazz, which is basically the Cosby Show soundtrack, John Coltrane and the like. And then there's free jazz. You know that one "expressionist" painter who made art by squirting paint onto canvass from his... uh,,, well, from his large intestine, we shall say? Replace the paint with a saxaphone, while he's headbanging on an electric keyboard, and that's free jazz; music for musicians who really, really suck at music.

Wouldn't spend a dime on it.
Page 1 of 1

2 user(s) viewing

2 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Google

Search My Blog

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.