Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: I Thought Factory Jobs all Went to China - RightNation.US

-----

What the Washington Post Cited: “Severe Shortage of Skilled Factory Workers As Government Encourages Students to Pursue White Collar Jobs”

link

<snip>

In recent years, government officials have depicted white-collar jobs for college graduates as the way to go. President Obama has advocated sending every high-school graduate to college or some form of higher education, while denigrating training for blue-collar industrial jobs. He has sought to increase spending on colleges, while slashing spending on more useful vocational education that could lead to work in manufacturing. [See this July 10 New York Times story]. . . As The Washington Post notes, as senior skilled factory workers are retiring, no one is taking their place, since “many of the younger workers who might have taken their place have avoided the manufacturing sector because of the . . . stigma of factory work.” . . .

Meanwhile, 12.8 million people are unemployed, many of them people with economically-useless college degrees . . . Growing government subsidies have encouraged colleges to raise tuition at a rapid rate, and to dumb down their courses to attract marginal students . . . Federal financial aid programs have helped cause skyrocketing tuition increases. Meanwhile, college students learn less and less with each passing year. “Thirty-six percent” of college students learned little in four years of college, and students now spend “50% less time studying compared with students a few decades ago, the research shows.”

So, the exact kind of jobs we've legendarily been outsourcing are the very jobs we can't find enough people to fill? Well, not quite. See, what the erstwhile populists on the left are really championing is an abundance of unskilled factory jobs that would necessitate massive union membership. These skilled factory jobs are far too lucrative to make union membership attractive. People in these kinds of jobs, in other words, can take care of themselves.

No thanks, says the Left. Push kids into white collar jobs and create a version of them that's essentially unskilled and in need of unions.

I see you working.

My Mind is Clean

2 Comments On This Entry

As a co owner and recruiter in the manufacturing industry I can tell you firsthand that a lot of companies are beginning to return back to American suppliers. Poor component quality from overseas is one issue but the overriding concern is that it takes three weeks or four to provide prototype tooling in Asia and then you have the part approval process ( another week or two )and design changes ( another week or two ) coupled with a cultural barrier and 8 weeks on the boat to recieve the tool. Time is of the essence in high volume manufacturing. If you have long lead time on product launch that's all well and good but when time, quality and first tool shoot is premier, the molders in the USA are coming back home!

OTOH, we DO need to cajole and push our younger generation to the skilled trades which are high paying. Since when has it been a sin to get your hands dirty? The average PLC programmer or dental assistant uses their hands and brain more times in an hour than a Ivy league professor ( and is much more productive ). I place PLC/controls engineers from anywhere to 25 dollars an hour to 100K on a salary base. That's a damned good wage!

I started as a union Millwright/Carpenter and am proud to acheived where I'm at now. The lumps I took as a hardworking union guy in a factory has paid in spades. I have no regrets.

Colt1911fan, on 25 April 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

As a co owner and recruiter in the manufacturing industry I can tell you firsthand that a lot of companies are beginning to return back to American suppliers. Poor component quality from overseas is one issue but the overriding concern is that it takes three weeks or four to provide prototype tooling in Asia and then you have the part approval process ( another week or two )and design changes ( another week or two ) coupled with a cultural barrier and 8 weeks on the boat to recieve the tool. Time is of the essence in high volume manufacturing. If you have long lead time on product launch that's all well and good but when time, quality and first tool shoot is premier, the molders in the USA are coming back home! OTOH, we DO need to cajole and push our younger generation to the skilled trades which are high paying. Since when has it been a sin to get your hands dirty? The average PLC programmer or dental assistant uses their hands and brain more times in an hour than a Ivy league professor ( and is much more productive ). I place PLC/controls engineers from anywhere to 25 dollars an hour to 100K on a salary base. That's a damned good wage!I started as a union Millwright/Carpenter and am proud to acheived where I'm at now. The lumps I took as a hardworking union guy in a factory has paid in spades. I have no regrets.

For sure.

Everybody wants to a be a green this or a creative that. We can't all design websites or make powerpoints about the environment. Somebody has to, you know, make stuff.
Page 1 of 1

6 user(s) viewing

6 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Google

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.