Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Comedians Are Smarter than You - RightNation.US

-----
Especially if you write for The Huffington Post:

Comedians are smart. After all, you have to be if you're going to dissect the complex landscapes of social discourse, contemporary culture and politics AND make people laugh while doing so. But most people aren't aware of just how smart many of today's notable comedians are. We're talking high school valedictorian, Ivy League-educated, summa cum laude smart.

Here are just a few comedians who are so smart they could have probably gone into any field they wanted, but chose to pursue comedy because it's what they love to do. You might be surprised how many of your favorite funny people have math or science degrees as well as how many comedians were or could have been lawyers.

Actually, I don't have a problem with this. I've always admired stand up comedians and clever satirists. I think it does take quite a bit of intelligence to consistently write material well enough to stay in the game. And just because I disagree with someone, it doesn't mean I think they're less intelligent than me. They just don't know what the flip they're talking about.

Here are some of the ones I like who are also smart:

1. Weird Al--Valedictorian, who graduated at 16. Graduated from Cal Poly SLO. I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona. So we're the same.

2. Ken Jeong--I'm more a fan of his work on Community than in the two Hangover movies. His portrayal of a Jewish Asian Spanish professor was as disturbing as it was hilarious. Oh, and he's an MD.

3. Mike Judge--A degree in physics from UC San Diego. This guy created Hank Hill. Enough said.

4. Rowan Atkinson--A Masters degree from Oxford. Mr. Bean. Classic.

5. Matt Stone--A degree in film? Meh. He also has a math degree so, smart. I'm not huge into South Park, but i dole it out to myself a little at a time, so I get used to it.

There are a ton of Daily Show and Colbert Report people on the list. I don't doubt their smarts, but I do doubt their character and work ethic. Both shows engage in the most lazy forms of comedy writing known to man. Cheap shots and "on the nose" predictable left-wing snark. In its day, SNL did a much better job even when they were going after pols I liked. I'm sure they did, but I don't remember them even taking too many cheap shots at Reagan. The DS and CR would do nothing but.

I'm also not impressed by any of the English degrees on the list. Law degrees, I guess, But that brings us back to character. I think a lot of the law grads are just snobby elitist liberals who are plenty smart, but they are arrogant and insulated. That breeds laziness.

Give me a smart, humble comedian with an inferiority complex any day and I'll show you a comedian I like and who will be around for a long time.

My Mind is Clean

8 Comments On This Entry

Dennis Miller and Eddie Izzard always seemed above average in intelligence.

Adam Smithee, on 25 April 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

Dennis Miller and Eddie Izzard always seemed above average in intelligence.

Dude, I saw Miller live a few years ago and I nearly pooped my pants. I couldn't get my breath he was so rapid fire.

And Izzard is one of the most underrated comedians of all time. His sets are like gut busting history lessons.
Well, Sam Kinnison, when he would talk about the famine in Ethiopia would ask, "Instead of taking a starving kinds picture, why not give him a sandwich?"

Hieronymous, on 26 April 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

Well, Sam Kinnison, when he would talk about the famine in Ethiopia would ask, "Instead of taking a starving kinds picture, why not give him a sandwich?"

Or give them luggage. :)
"This world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel" - Horace Walpole
As far as British comedians go, I will add:

Hugh Laurie, Ben Elton, Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson, well most British comedians of the last 30-35 years are university graduates, many in History, Politics. And many of the best and most famous are 'Oxbridge'. Although Mayall and Edmondson arent.

I could name many who are household names here but unknown in the US. So I wont.

One that stands out is Ben Miller (best known in the US as being Atkinsons younger sidekick Angus Brough in the 'Johnny English' films). He has a PhD in quantum physics from Cambridge.

And of course the comedy generation of the 50's and 60's in Britain (Peter Cook, the Pythons etc) were all Oxbridge graduates.

Mr. Naron, on 26 April 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

Hieronymous, on 26 April 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

Or give them luggage. :)

"WE HAVE DESERTS IN AMERICA, WE JUST DON'T LIVE IN THEM, A*******!"

As for the Daily Show, anyone hear the Greg Gutfeld quote on John Stewart: "He basically does his act in front of a mirror that claps".

Hilarious!
Page 1 of 1

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.