Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Is Obama's Record Worse Than FDR's? - RightNation.US

-----
Conrad Black at National Review thinks so:

Everyone, including most Democrats, agrees that this president can’t run on his record, but that is exactly what FDR did in 1936. There are fewer employed people in the United States now than there were when this administration entered office, despite its racking up cumulative federal budget deficits equal to six times the country’s money supply in January 2009.

“Let’s look at the record,” as Roosevelt’s distinguished predecessor as governor of New York and Democratic presidential nominee, Alfred E. Smith, used to say. The economic problems that greeted the incoming administration in 2009 were risible compared with the crisis that awaited Roosevelt in 1933. The unemployment rate was then about 30 percent, not the still-shocking 25 percent that Amity and her claque try to confine it to, and there was no direct relief for the unemployed. They could beg, steal, or starve.

It's an intriguing argument, at least superficially. The problem is that Black is factually incorrect. There were relief programs for the unemployed. Hoover, though he opposed direct relief at the federal level, authorized money for states to use for that purpose. We can argue over the unemployment rate, but I find it a bit silly to quibble over 30% versus 25%.

He then goes on to list all the calamities of the Great Depression, arguing that there's no comparing it to those of 2008 and 2009. He writes that to do so would be "unrigorous". I don't know who actually compared the two recessions as if they were close, but there are plenty of people who say things like "worst unemployment since the Great Depression". That's not a side by side comparison, by the way. It doesn't have to be as bad as the Great Depression to be the worst since the Great Depression. I think he's confusing the two.

He really gets into trouble when he credits FDR's policies for putting people back to work. What FDR did, as his advisers will later admit, was continue Hoover's programs only with bigger budgets and broader goals. The fact of the matter is, as Thomas Sowell is fond of citing, the economy was already trying to bounce back under Hoover, but the massive government interventions he undertook stopped it in its tracks. Black makes not mention of these interventions. By the Time FDR, who ran against Hoover's interventions if you remember, came to office, the economy was starting another recovery. Economic recoveries usually mirror their declines. If it's a steep decline, the recovery is usually steep. So, it's completely NORMAL for an unemployment rate to improve at a rate similar to the rate it worsened.

What's not normal is when that rate stops improving to the point where we get back to full employment. That't where both Hoover and FDR screwed up and that's why Obama is screwing up today. He's not letting the economy improve naturally.

Black goes on to make one good point. Many historians compare our unemployment rate through the 1930s to those of Germany, the UK and France, citing that their economies seemed to bounce back much quicker than ours. Black notes, rightly, that those countries started gearing up for war earlier than we did. Fair enough. He also leaves out the fact that those economies had already absorbed the collectivist interventions of years past, at the expense of American-like growth and prosperity, and were healing themselves. We were just getting started on European style interventions.

Essentially what Black is doing is throwing Obama under the bus in order to protect his precious FDR. Black is an FDR hagiographer if anybody is one. It's still amazing, though, how guys like him can rattle off all the programs and interventions that can easily be shown to make employment more expensive and incentives more perverse and not see how they prolonged the Great Depression.

Still, I'll go along with him if he wants to put Obama in the same category as FDR. Both were and have been disasters.

My Mind is Clean

2 Comments On This Entry

Yep, it's worse, which means the media will spend the next 4 years preparing for his canonization if he wins *cough*steals*cough another election.
Biggest difference between Roosevelt and Obama is that Roosevelt's projects were, in fact, "shovel ready".
Page 1 of 1

5 user(s) viewing

5 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Features and Blog Roll

Posted ImagePosted Image
What Folks Are Saying About The Conservative Mindcleaner:
Jonah Goldberg of National Review says:"Uh Oh!"
Vox Day says: "A man after my own heart"

Chris's thought-provoking commentary and his sensible conservatism keeps California from falling further to the left and disappearing into the Pacific. He's a teacher, football fan and an all-around down to earth guy.-Leland Lyerla (The Southern Illinoisian Sports)

To add your testimonial, email me at chris.naron@gmail.com

Not a member of RightNation.us? Post comments on The Conservative Mindcleaner Facebook page

Features

Contact Me: chris.naron@gmail.com

Blogs

Wild Game: Hunt at your peril

A Very Cool Blog on the Writing Business: Real, working authors giving advice...The Friday Challenge: Bruce Bethke
Daily Caller--Charles Johnson
Breitbart
Ace of Spades
The Corner
Classic Pop and Rock Digest
The Truth About Guns
Althouse
Instapundit
SooperMexican
Ricochet
The American Conservative
FreedomWorks News
Retraction Watch
Apologetics315
WagToons
Lileks
Elusively Yours
MIn TheGap

Righter's Blog Archive (Old School)

Barrels of Fish...for Shooting

Addicting Info
Jonathan Merritt (Green Baptist)
Pandagon
The New Republic
Atrios
Dailykos
Feministe

Domestic Pets
Mental Floss
Dilbert Blog
Y Safle

Mindcleaner Mania Daily Trivia Tournament

Posted Image
Cartoon Cleaner
--Political Cartoons by Rightnation Artists...

David Allen's Blog
News Voyager
The Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
World Net Daily
Townhall
912 Project Profile

New! Learn How to Use Google Like a Pro!Googletutor

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Captain America 2 Robert Redford, playing himself, gets snuffed. Best movie ever!
God's Not Dead Almost cheese free, an achievement for Christian movies.
Olympus Has Fallen Good action flick, and I really hope the Secret Service found it laughable.
Solomon Kane While it had theological problems, they were rather small compared to what I was expecting. A very underrated movie.
The Hobbit:Desolation of Smaug I'm pretty much out of superlatives, but I thought Sherlock trying to kill Watson was a neat twist.
Despicable Me 2 Keeping delightful slapstick alive. My kids' generation's version of Roadrunner cartoons.
Oblivion Pretty much every sci-fi movie made in the last 40 years but with Nintendo equipment. Worth the $1.50 I spent.
The Life of Pi I'd much rather be stranded on a lifeboat with Richard Parker than Larry H. Parker.
Iron Man 3 Don't be sad, he can make more suits.
Bully I'm sorry, but I've never seen a more clueless bunch of parents and--especially--educators.
Fat Head If you want to regain some intelligence after watching Supersize Me, watch this.
The Hobbit Not a movie. An achievement.
Red Dawn Uh, those North Koreans look pretty well fed. Almost as well fed as the Chinese. Good explosions.
Expendables 2 Someone had the genius idea to film the Random Facts About Chuck Norris. And kudos to Chuck because the film had almost no cursing.
Lincoln Brilliant. Funny. Sad. Daniel Day Lewis should get an Oscar by Constitutional amendment.
2016: Obama's America Great for high and low info voters. Not much new for the high info voter, but some good theoretical discussion. Dinesh is still a punk for agreeing to an interview, then ducking my harder questions.
The Dark Knight Rises: Best treatment of the hero theme ever. Great re-imagining of the Russian Revolution, also.
The Amazing Spiderman: Better than the original. Here's why: Emma Stone way better than Kirsten Dunce. The kid who plays Spidey is way better than Toby McGuire. Closer to the comic from what I understand. No silly Power Rangers mask on villain. I like how they keep him in high school. Martin Sheen gets shot.
Three Stooges: Turning Moe loose on the cast of Jersey Shore? Masterful.
The Avengers: The only word for how awesome this movie is: Dude.
Winter's Bone: Jennifer Lawrence deserves an Oscar for just reading this script. Let's just say don't stray too far out of Branson if you're ever up in the Ozarks.
The Hunger Games: The Running Man for pre-teen girls. But with more stabbing.
Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon: A jackhammer of an action movie. Wildly xceeded my low expectations.
Super 8: Thank you Misters Spielberg and Abrams. The former may be a pinko commie lib, but he knows what he's doing. The latter may be a jerk around artist when he's got years to tell a story. But give him just a couple of hours, and he's dead on. Great, great old school 80s era Spielberg flick.
True Grit: I didn't want to like it out of respect for The Duke, but dang it if those Cohen brothers aren't masterful.
X-Men First Class: Yet another home run from Marvel. It's funny, the first time I saw Magneto's helmet, I thought "That would look great on Kevin Bacon."
The Hangover 2: Um. Yeah. Sick. My sainted wife picked this one. I'm sure the prospect of seeing Bradley Cooper's Magnum PI caliber chest had nothing to do with it.Thor: On par with Iron Man, which means top-notch. Jeremy Shockey is great as Thor. What? That's not Jeremy Shockey? Well, he should sue then.
Battle: LASo, that's what happened on the ground on Independence Day. Seriously, very good movie.
Tangled: A Burkean mix of aesthetics and respect for tradition. In other words, it was pretty cool.
Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Spectacular. Some visuals that are so beautiful they almost hurt to look at.
Tron: Legacy: I don't know why they had to mess with perfection.
The A-Team: I wasn't a believer until stuff blew up. Then I was, like, "yeah!"Waiting for Superman: I haven't been this disappointed since I found out that To Kill a Mockingbird wasn't a documentary.
The Book of Eli: Had the potential for one of the greatest endings in movie history but pissed it away with one scene.
She's Out of My League: Is there a RomCom factory somewhere and can we blow it up in the A-Team sequal?
Waking Sleeping Beauty: I liked the Pixar Story much better. It's basically the same movie about movies.
Clash of the Titans: Yelling "Release the Kraken!" when you go into the men's room is still funny. But it has been funny since the 80's, so...
Date Night: Not your average RomCom. I think this is the movie Alfred Hitchcock was trying to make when he slapped North by Northwest together.
Iron Man 2: Keep them coming. Please.