Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Is Obama's Record Worse Than FDR's? - RightNation.US

-----
Conrad Black at National Review thinks so:

Everyone, including most Democrats, agrees that this president can’t run on his record, but that is exactly what FDR did in 1936. There are fewer employed people in the United States now than there were when this administration entered office, despite its racking up cumulative federal budget deficits equal to six times the country’s money supply in January 2009.

“Let’s look at the record,” as Roosevelt’s distinguished predecessor as governor of New York and Democratic presidential nominee, Alfred E. Smith, used to say. The economic problems that greeted the incoming administration in 2009 were risible compared with the crisis that awaited Roosevelt in 1933. The unemployment rate was then about 30 percent, not the still-shocking 25 percent that Amity and her claque try to confine it to, and there was no direct relief for the unemployed. They could beg, steal, or starve.

It's an intriguing argument, at least superficially. The problem is that Black is factually incorrect. There were relief programs for the unemployed. Hoover, though he opposed direct relief at the federal level, authorized money for states to use for that purpose. We can argue over the unemployment rate, but I find it a bit silly to quibble over 30% versus 25%.

He then goes on to list all the calamities of the Great Depression, arguing that there's no comparing it to those of 2008 and 2009. He writes that to do so would be "unrigorous". I don't know who actually compared the two recessions as if they were close, but there are plenty of people who say things like "worst unemployment since the Great Depression". That's not a side by side comparison, by the way. It doesn't have to be as bad as the Great Depression to be the worst since the Great Depression. I think he's confusing the two.

He really gets into trouble when he credits FDR's policies for putting people back to work. What FDR did, as his advisers will later admit, was continue Hoover's programs only with bigger budgets and broader goals. The fact of the matter is, as Thomas Sowell is fond of citing, the economy was already trying to bounce back under Hoover, but the massive government interventions he undertook stopped it in its tracks. Black makes not mention of these interventions. By the Time FDR, who ran against Hoover's interventions if you remember, came to office, the economy was starting another recovery. Economic recoveries usually mirror their declines. If it's a steep decline, the recovery is usually steep. So, it's completely NORMAL for an unemployment rate to improve at a rate similar to the rate it worsened.

What's not normal is when that rate stops improving to the point where we get back to full employment. That't where both Hoover and FDR screwed up and that's why Obama is screwing up today. He's not letting the economy improve naturally.

Black goes on to make one good point. Many historians compare our unemployment rate through the 1930s to those of Germany, the UK and France, citing that their economies seemed to bounce back much quicker than ours. Black notes, rightly, that those countries started gearing up for war earlier than we did. Fair enough. He also leaves out the fact that those economies had already absorbed the collectivist interventions of years past, at the expense of American-like growth and prosperity, and were healing themselves. We were just getting started on European style interventions.

Essentially what Black is doing is throwing Obama under the bus in order to protect his precious FDR. Black is an FDR hagiographer if anybody is one. It's still amazing, though, how guys like him can rattle off all the programs and interventions that can easily be shown to make employment more expensive and incentives more perverse and not see how they prolonged the Great Depression.

Still, I'll go along with him if he wants to put Obama in the same category as FDR. Both were and have been disasters.

My Mind is Clean

2 Comments On This Entry

Yep, it's worse, which means the media will spend the next 4 years preparing for his canonization if he wins *cough*steals*cough another election.
Biggest difference between Roosevelt and Obama is that Roosevelt's projects were, in fact, "shovel ready".
Page 1 of 1

5 user(s) viewing

5 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Google

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.