Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more! RightNation.US Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
Conservative & Patriotic t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, buttons and more!
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: All Time Greatest Song About Horses - RightNation.US

-----
It's Derby day, and I know nothing about horse racing. I used to watch it when I was a kid, though because it was such a big deal. Anything that was a big deal interested me because I wanted to know why it was such a big deal. As I got older, I began to understand why people flip out over the Kentucky Derby. First, horse racing is crack for gamblers, so you've got them from the get go. Second is the tradition. It got started in 1875, so anything that old that keeps going is going to be a big deal for that reason alone. But it has to be a big deal to keep going in the first place. So, third, there's the party. The Derby gives people a reason to prepare, dress up in stupid hats and go outside and get hammered in the spring time. It's like Easter without all that religious mucky muck and with drinks that make women forget there's bourbon in them.

But the real reason it's a big deal? The race is very exciting. It's only about two minutes long. A Superbowl can last four hours. A World Series can last six months (hlep me out, Dodgerking!). So something with that much build up that is over that quickly had better be extremely exciting. And it used to be for me. I'd listen to the stories about the horses and the jockeys and by race time, I had a horse to root for. I think I lost interest because they either don't tell the stories as well or the stories aren't that great anymore. It's probably the former, but here'e the kind of story I keep seeing this year:

One of the nation’s largest jewelry retailers, Helzberg Diamonds, is hoping it picked the winner in today’s Kentucky Derby through its sponsorship of jockey, Javier Castellano, who will ride Derby favorite Gemologist.

<snip>

The Berkshire Hathaway-owned jewelry retailer has also has been using the Derby tie-in for several cross-promotional activities that include its “I am Loved” Mother’s Day button, a fashionable jewelry guide for the Kentucky Derby outfits and a “Derby things we love” Pinterest page.

Just another cross promotional marketing boon for Mr. My Secretary Pays Higher Taxes Than Me So Vote Obama, or Warren Buffet as he's known to friends. I couldn't care less about it.

So, instead, I'll listen to some songs about horse and then take the kids to see The Avengers!

5. Bring on the Dancing Horses Echo and the Bunnymen

video

4. Crazy Horses Tank

video

3. Wild Horses Rolling Stones

Video

2. Run for the Roses Dan Fogelberg

1. Spirit Horse of the Cherokee* Manowar

My Mind is Clean

*Dedicated to Elizabeth Warren

25 Comments On This Entry

I love the Byrds' "Chestnut Mare." It is thrilling the way Roger McGuinn narrates that story, then bursting into song, "I'm going to catch that horse if I can!"

Can't go wrong with Michael Murphey's "Wildfire," too.
A Horse With No Name....America
In no particular order:

Run For the Roses Fogelberg

Commanche the Brave Horse by Johnny Horton

Tennessee Stud by Johnny Cash

Rider in the Rain by Randy Newman

Silver Stallion by The Highwaymen

Also, not really a song about horses, but according to a story about Gene Autry, he is supposed to have written "Here Comes Santa Claus" while riding in a parade and listening to the hoof beats of the horses.

firecoco, on 05 May 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Up until I was a teenager, I thought that was a Neil Young song. And since I couldn't stand Neil Young, I couldn't stand the song. But I don't turn the station when it comes on anymore, so that's progress.

horseman, on 05 May 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

In no particular order:Run For the Roses FogelbergCommanche the Brave Horse by Johnny HortonTennessee Stud by Johnny CashRider in the Rain by Randy NewmanSilver Stallion by The HighwaymenAlso, not really a song about horses, but according to a story about Gene Autry, he is supposed to have written &quot;Here Comes Santa Claus&quot; while riding in a parade and listening to the hoof beats of the horses.

:2up:
Fulfilling the letter if not the spirit of the category:

Liz, on 05 May 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Fulfilling the letter if not the spirit of the category

It's a beautiful song.

ggardner, on 05 May 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Can't go wrong with Michael Murphey's &quot;Wildfire,&quot; too.

firecoco, on 05 May 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

:yeahthat:
Wildfire. Pretty sure it's about a horse.

Does Ghost Riders in the Sky count?
THE WHITE HORSES TV THEME

'The White Horses is a 1965 television series co-produced by RTV Ljubljana (now RTV Slovenija) of Yugoslavia[1] and German TV (Südwestfunk). A dubbed version was broadcast in the United Kingdom from 1968, and repeated for many years afterwards'.

http://en.wikipedia....he_White_Horses

classic British tv Theme - The Adventures Of Black Beauty

Then there's this one about a mule, and mules are half horse.

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=HcNJ2RMOd3U

Adam Smithee, on 05 May 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money. :lol:
All time greatest horse song...Run for the Roses. The last time I went to the Kentucky Derby was 1980...the year Genuine Risk won the Kentucky Derby. She was the second filly to win that race and I had a nice $20.00 bet on her. Run for the Roses came out the very next year and it always seems to me that that song was written for her. (I know it wasn't...it's just that the song captured her story so well.)

As to horseracing...been a fan all my life. Go to the track whenever I can. Ever have a question...you can ask me. And yes I bet the race today and won some nice money. I'll Have Another has done well by me this year and wasn't going to get off of him just because some handicappers thought that other horses were better. He's a gutsy horse.

Lyndsey, on 05 May 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

All time greatest horse song...Run for the Roses. The last time I went to the Kentucky Derby was 1980...the year Genuine Risk won the Kentucky Derby. She was the second filly to win that race and I had a nice $20.00 bet on her. Run for the Roses came out the very next year and it always seems to me that that song was written for her. (I know it wasn't...it's just that the song captured her story so well.)As to horseracing...been a fan all my life. Go to the track whenever I can. Ever have a question...you can ask me. And yes I bet the race today and won some nice money. I'll Have Another has done well by me this year and wasn't going to get off of him just because some handicappers thought that other horses were better. He's a gutsy horse.

I saw he was a 15-1. Could it be the handicappers do that on purpose? Wait, what am I saying? If there's anyone trustworthy, it's professional gamblers. Kinda lost my head for a second.

Congrats, btw. :D
Comanche the Brave Horse by Johnny Horton (You keep asking these questions and miss him. Tsk... tsk... tsk...)

Wildfire

cobalt-blue, on 05 May 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Comanche the Brave Horse by Johnny Horton (You keep asking these questions and miss him. Tsk... tsk... tsk...)Wildfire

What kind of thread would it be if I didn't give you guys an excuse to prove me wrong? :D

Mr. Naron, on 05 May 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Lyndsey, on 05 May 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

All time greatest horse song...Run for the Roses. The last time I went to the Kentucky Derby was 1980...the year Genuine Risk won the Kentucky Derby. She was the second filly to win that race and I had a nice $20.00 bet on her. Run for the Roses came out the very next year and it always seems to me that that song was written for her. (I know it wasn't...it's just that the song captured her story so well.)As to horseracing...been a fan all my life. Go to the track whenever I can. Ever have a question...you can ask me. And yes I bet the race today and won some nice money. I'll Have Another has done well by me this year and wasn't going to get off of him just because some handicappers thought that other horses were better. He's a gutsy horse.
I saw he was a 15-1. Could it be the handicappers do that on purpose? Wait, what am I saying? If there's anyone trustworthy, it's professional gamblers. Kinda lost my head for a second.Congrats, btw. :D

Handicappers usually go with the favorite. Or the horse that they think the public will go with. Very seldom do they go with a longshot. Although there are some exceptions to that rule. And I don't think they do it on purpose. I just don't think they look at the same factors I look at.

Handicapping is a fun past time. It's a physics problem, a stat problem, with a lot of secondary factors thrown in. There is nothing like the feeling when you have seen a race run in your head..called all the segments of the race right and have the winner at the end.

The money is going into the bank..one more time before I die I want to go to the Kentucky Derby...and that is the seed money to go next year.
Horses??? :insanity:

:sinister:

Horses...horses.....

:insanity:
U2.

:coffeenpc:
  • 2 Pages +

3 user(s) viewing

3 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Google

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Updated! World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.