RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Video Games v. TV - RightNation.US

-----

Video Games v. TV

It seems to be unanimous that there's no inherent virtue in reading, even counting the comments over at the Blogfather. I wondered, before this, if is there a concomitant lack of virtue in other pastimes.

Working out: As long as it doesn't turn into vanity, I don't think it lacks virtue. But a lot of working out is vanity. And that sucks for a mesomorph like myself. I have pals who can do the same amount of work as me, or less, and have veins popping out all over and herring bone patterns in their muscles. I can't really call them vain because they get that way just by working out as hard as me. Now, if I want to get cuts, I have to travel deep into vanityland. There's no virtue in that and none in being a fat tub either. What's a girl to do?

Watching TV: Is it a sign of lower intelligence or weak will if you like pop-culture as much as, say, the history of the Gulag? Well, I'm not going to jump completely on the anti-TV bandwagon, partly because it would be hypocritical and partly because I don't actually believe it's a total waste. I will say this: If TV can bore me to the point where I watch less than half of what I used to, it's really starting to suck.

Playing Video Games: Now, explain to me how playing countless hours of computer and video games is less of a waste of time than watching a good movie or even a clever sitcom. Sure there's interaction. Heck, I absolutely love playing Halo, as some who've read this blog may remember. One of you may have even sniped my white hide a time or two. But just because it's fun doesn't mean it's any less a waste. I'm saying this as the friend of a guy who rarely finds any redeeming qualities in TV yet will game until the wee hours.

Seems to me that since our generation has control of the judgement reins, video games are no longer the monumental farce our parents proclaimed the to be.

I'll save my thoughts on comics for later.

My Mind is Clean

5 Comments On This Entry

Working out? I have to get out and jog periodically or I balloon up to 300 lbs. As it IS, I am in a constant fight to stay below 250. It's not vanity nearly so much as it is I just refuse to lose mobility.

Reading? Sure, I read. Seems I read incessantly. I like to learn new things. I also enjoy it. I must admit there is an element of pride in it; I like being able to know things others don't, on the off-chance I may need it some day.

TV? I do have certain shows I watch religiously. Dead Zone, The 4400, Stargate SG-1, Doctor Who, Smallville, and until the series ended Charmed (I admit a fixation on Alyssa Milano, OK?). I also really enjoy watching the channel TCM, as I really love the old movies, and I have instilled a similar love in my youngest son; he says the old movies are much better than the new ones. Beyond these shows and channels, I really can't care what's on TV. I don't even get my news from TV; for the most part, I go to the internet for that.

I do play some video games; I do the World of Warcraft thing online. Beyond that, I don't do much vid-gaming, unless it's a nostalgic turn at an old Zelda game on the Gameboy. Sometimes I just feel the need to KILL something.

My true obsession IS INDEED comic books. Always has been, since I was 6 years old, and that's over 40 years now. I have a Flash collection that covers the entire run from 1986 through this year; the entire Wally West run. And some of the old Barry Allen Flash stuff. I enjoy comics so much that I guess it truly is a vice. What the heck. I don't smoke or drink.

The way I figure it, I deal with the real world and its medical consequences so much in my job, and I deal with other aspects of the real world so much avocationally, that I deserve some escapism. I think we all need some "offtime".

I really don't see a problem with any hobby so long as it doesn't keep you from dealing productively with the world and its demands; indeed, I think a relief valve is a necessity.

max, on Jun 22 2006, 05:30 PM, said:

The way I figure it, I deal with the real world and its medical consequences so much in my job, and I deal with other aspects of the real world so much avocationally, that I deserve some escapism. I think we all need some "offtime".

That's an interesting angle--is it wasting time if it helps you re-charge? If so, what if vegging out is what re-charges you?
First off, with all forms of media it depends upon the quality of the content that you are using. A lot of people seem to believe that reading books is the only way to engage the mind when discussing the merits of television. Usually this results in some sort of comment involving Shakespeare and The Jerry Springer Show, but are we supposed to forget about the 47 metric tons of romance novels and Micheal Moore ramblings polluting every major bookstore? Let's face it; the average book on the market is either as mindless as a game of Pong or a simple reference book.

Why do I think playing a good video game is less of a waste of time than watching a good movie or sitcom? Playing a good video game requires some form of thought, and it takes a lot of thinking to complete a game. A good movie? Sitcom? Frustration requires thought and I have never gotten so frusterated with a movie that I broke something. After turning on the content you can put your brain on autopilot and get to the ending. Hell, my grandfather used to watch golf tournaments while sleeping! The power of the interactive nature of video games should not be so lightly dismissed!

Another aspect of video games that shouldn't be overlooked is how rapidly they have advanced. In little over 30 years we've gone from pong to some of the most amazing brain bending scenerios imaginable. Books, movies, and television have hardly evolved in that time. What will video games be like in another 30 years?

Scuba Steve, on Jun 23 2006, 09:20 AM, said:

First off, with all forms of media it depends upon the quality of the content that you are using. A lot of people seem to believe that reading books is the only way to engage the mind when discussing the merits of television. Usually this results in some sort of comment involving Shakespeare and The Jerry Springer Show, but are we supposed to forget about the 47 metric tons of romance novels and Micheal Moore ramblings polluting every major bookstore? Let's face it; the average book on the market is either as mindless as a game of Pong or a simple reference book.

Why do I think playing a good video game is less of a waste of time than watching a good movie or sitcom? Playing a good video game requires some form of thought, and it takes a lot of thinking to complete a game. A good movie? Sitcom? Frustration requires thought and I have never gotten so frusterated with a movie that I broke something. After turning on the content you can put your brain on autopilot and get to the ending. Hell, my grandfather used to watch golf tournaments while sleeping! The power of the interactive nature of video games should not be so lightly dismissed!

Another aspect of video games that shouldn't be overlooked is how rapidly they have advanced. In little over 30 years we've gone from pong to some of the most amazing brain bending scenerios imaginable. Books, movies, and television have hardly evolved in that time. What will video games be like in another 30 years?

I have no problem with video games, but I get a certain vibe from some gamers who think that they're actually doing something monumental compared to someone who re-charges his or her batteries watching Reno 9-11. I can totally see that there's stragtegy and thought required for games. At the same time, my eleven year old can do it. But can he sit and watch Shadowlands without getting bored off his butt?

I suppose I'm viewing gamers through the lens of a teacher who sees kids that seem to have no problem solving a video game (without hints and cheat codes? Yeah, right), yet they can't navigate a textbook. And when I try to use an example from TV, they proudly claim not to watch. I ask them what they do, and they say they play video games.

Maybe they're playing the wrong ones. I think you're dead on about content. We teachers have been duped to believe that it doesn't matter what they read as long as they read. That's bullcrap.
Games are so much better it's scary. Compare Star Wars Episodes I & II to Knights of the Old Republic I & II.

Plus in one you sit and watch as events happen, while in the other, you can manipulate how those events play themselves out.

And I'm off to re-write history in Rome...
Page 1 of 1

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

New Blogroll! And...World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blog Roll
Ace of Spades
National Review
Got News
RealClearPolitics
ZeroHedge
The Federalist
African American Conservatives
Instapundit

World's Shortest Movie Reviews
American Sniper: Bradly Cooper=Best Actor
The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.