RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: UK Defines Marriage Between a Man and Woman - RightNation.US

-----
From To Be:

U.K. court rejects lesbians' marriage

Two British lesbians who tried to get their Canadian marriage recognized in the United Kingdom failed July 31.

U.K. law automatically converts foreign same-sex marriages into U.K. civil partnerships, which nonetheless provide all the same rights and obligations.

Sue Wilkinson and Celia Kitzinger, who were married in Vancouver in 2003, denounced the decision by Sir Mark Potter, president of the London High Court Family Division, as "profoundly discriminatory [and] an affront to social justice and human rights."

"We feel distressed, demeaned and humiliated," they said in an e-mail.

In his ruling, Potter said: "Parliament has not called partnerships between persons of the same sex marriage, not because they are considered inferior to the institution of marriage but because, as a matter of objective fact and common understanding ... they are indeed different.

"To accord a same-sex relationship the title and status of marriage would ... fail to recognize physical reality."

Are we allowed to use this example? Liberals are contantly throwing European mores in our faces, yet I've not heard of this one up until now. And seeing as how the English language was invented in the UK, they might know a little bit about the meanings of words.

My Mind is Clean

9 Comments On This Entry

This kind of story is redeeming and uplifting. However, if a judge can be 'brass' enough to tell them they're not married, why afford them the same rights and bene's?

KenpoDude, on Aug 14 2006, 12:53 PM, said:

This kind of story is redeeming and uplifting. However, if a judge can be 'brass' enough to tell them they're not married, why afford them the same rights and bene's?

Well I don't know if I oppose domestic partnerships of any stripe. It seems to me that if two people want to form a partnership to share benefits, they should be allowed to do so. Then again, if it encourages people not to get married, I'm against it. I have to think on this some more.

Mr. Naron, on Aug 14 2006, 02:57 PM, said:

Well I don't know if I oppose domestic partnerships of any stripe. It seems to me that if two people want to form a partnership to share benefits, they should be allowed to do so. Then again, if it encourages people not to get married, I'm against it. I have to think on this some more.

I think it makes sense.. and seems to be a gr8 compromise for a parties involved no matter what side of the fence you are on for this issue. Sometimes British law is so simple its Brilliant!.
That deserves a legitimate LOL. That's great. I just got done having this argument with my wife. We argue this issue every few weeks when some news item or social event drudges it up. This judge (is he a judge?) brilliantly encapsulates my position with the "denies physical reality" line.

Walter Scott Hudson, on Aug 14 2006, 02:30 PM, said:

That deserves a legitimate LOL. That's great. I just got done having this argument with my wife. We argue this issue every few weeks when some news item or social event drudges it up. This judge (is he a judge?) brilliantly encapsulates my position with the "denies physical reality" line.

It has a certain C.S. Lewis ring to it.
Chris, you are right.
Can we please use the UK as a model? That country allows same-sex civil partnerships. If we could even be granted that much here in the US - in all states, I think that would be a tremendous step. We can then make unconstitutional all of those State laws that don't even allow for something resembling marriage (i.e. civil partnerships) for gays and lesbians.

Mr. Naron, on Aug 14 2006, 08:57 PM, said:

Just for some clarification: two people are only eligible to create a civil partnership if they are of the same sex (they must also not be lawfully married, be at least 16 years old and not within prohibited degrees of relationship - brothers for instance).

The act is a young one. It was enacted by parliament in the last session and received Royal Assent in 2004. You can read the act here:

http://www.opsi.gov..../40033--c.htm#3

Stephen Kingston, on Aug 15 2006, 01:48 PM, said:

Mr. Naron, on Aug 14 2006, 08:57 PM, said:

Just for some clarification: two people are only eligible to create a civil partnership if they are of the same sex (they must also not be lawfully married, be at least 16 years old and not within prohibited degrees of relationship - brothers for instance).

The act is a young one. It was enacted by parliament in the last session and received Royal Assent in 2004. You can read the act here:

http://www.opsi.gov..../40033--c.htm#3

It's similar to insurance regulations in some states where you have to be same sex and not married. It kind of takes people off guard when they read that you have to be same sex to share insurance but if you're opposite sexes you have to get married.

4LetterState, on Aug 15 2006, 11:25 AM, said:

Chris, you are right.
Can we please use the UK as a model? That country allows same-sex civil partnerships. If we could even be granted that much here in the US - in all states, I think that would be a tremendous step. We can then make unconstitutional all of those State laws that don't even allow for something resembling marriage (i.e. civil partnerships) for gays and lesbians.

It's unconstitutional to make each state conform to one set of morals.
Page 1 of 1

3 user(s) viewing

3 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

New Blogroll! And...World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blog Roll
Ace of Spades
National Review
Got News
RealClearPolitics
ZeroHedge
The Federalist
African American Conservatives
Instapundit

World's Shortest Movie Reviews
American Sniper: Bradly Cooper=Best Actor
The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.