RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Body camera video shows 6-year-old Orlando girl arrested at school - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Body camera video shows 6-year-old Orlando girl arrested at school Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 19,165
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

Body camera video shows 6-year-old Orlando girl arrested at school

Published Yesterday
Updated Yesterday
Orlando Sentinel (TNS)

ORLANDO — Kaia Rolle was sitting, listening to a school employee read her a story when two officers came in the room to arrest her.

“What are those for?” the 6-year-old girl asked the Orlando police officers.

“They’re for you,” Officer Dennis Turner said about the zip ties, before another officer tightened them around her wrists. Kaia immediately began weeping.

“No … no, don’t put handcuffs on!” she wailed in body camera footage from the arrest, which Kaia’s family shared with the Orlando Sentinel on Monday evening. The arrests of the girl and another 6-year-old at Lucious & Emma Nixon Academy in September drew national headlines and widespread condemnation, leading to the officer’s firing.

“Help me, help me, please!” the girl choked out through tears. The officers continued with the arrest. Employees at the Orlando charter school stood by.

After Kaia was placed in a police SUV to be taken to the Juvenile Assessment Center, Turner returned to the school’s office and spoke to administrators, who were concerned about Kaia. He downplayed the juvenile detention center, saying it’s “not like you think.”

He told them he had arrested 6,000 people in his career — the youngest, to that point, was 7. When school employees told him Kaia was 6, not 8 like he thought, he did not seem concerned.

“Now she has broken the record,” he said.

<snip>

Link

Before anyone starts accusing me of attacking the police, my problem with this awful video is more with her school than with the police.
0

#2 User is offline   Holland25 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 265
  • Joined: 23-December 17

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

Being a school nurse in the ghetto I can't help being amused at this. You can't imagine how bad and disrespectful these kids can be even at an early age. She should get used to it. It is just the beginning of a long list of future arrest. I just had a fifth grader pepper spray his whole class. The whole class was in my office chocking, crying, asthma attacks and this POS kid got five days suspension he thinks is great. The police came and said they didn't "THINK", he meant to hurt anyone --the Comey defense. I may be the only person who feels this way but they need to start ignoring the jungle DNA which tells them to attack and learn to behave like a normal human being.
0

#3 User is offline   Martin 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 8,153
  • Joined: 02-July 03

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

From the link:
Kaia, a first grader at the charter school, had a tantrum earlier in the day where she had kicked and punched three school employees, leading to her arrest on a charge of misdemeanor battery, according to her arrest report.The officers put her in the backseat of the police SUV ,]Turner then returned to the school's office, reminding one employee that he would need a statement from her, and said she would likely get a subpoena. The woman agreed, though she said she was upset. The arrest report Turner completed said that a member of the school's faculty, Beverly Stoute, had requested to press charges against Kaia, something the school has denied.

This post has been edited by Martin: 26 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

0

#4 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

  • Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 18,005
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:51 AM

1. Failure of "parents" to teach children basics of civilized respect.
2. Failure of schools [and school boards] to stand up and defend accountability from both students and parents. If that means corporal punishment, well, that's what little 7 year old butts should understand.

Result is school throwing up their hands and saying they're not equipped to deal with discipline problems, so the "state" [police] must take care of it.
Police are not trained nor equipped to 'finesse' rowdy 7 yr olds. They're trained to subdue and render threats non-threatening. It should not be their job to begin with.
This is your brave new socialist world writ in microcosm.
0

#5 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 7,362
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:51 AM

This is a stupid policy. Arresting a six-year-old for "misdemeanor battery", complete with mugshots and prints is overboard for throwing a temper tantrum earlier in the day. If these "school employees" can't control a six-year-old little girl, and feel the need to call the cops and continue with the complaint after she calms down, they should find a new line of work, as plant waterers or something.

The officer was pretty gentle with her and the zip-ties were policy but his flippant attitude illustrates him as an <censored> anyway. The proposed policy of twelve years and older for restraints is a good idea. Unless the kid is actively pitching a fit and is in danger of hurting herself or others, restraints are excessive and counter-productive.
0

#6 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 19,165
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

View PostHolland25, on 26 February 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

Being a school nurse in the ghetto I can't help being amused at this. You can't imagine how bad and disrespectful these kids can be even at an early age. She should get used to it. It is just the beginning of a long list of future arrest. I just had a fifth grader pepper spray his whole class. The whole class was in my office chocking, crying, asthma attacks and this POS kid got five days suspension he thinks is great. The police came and said they didn't "THINK", he meant to hurt anyone --the Comey defense. I may be the only person who feels this way but they need to start ignoring the jungle DNA which tells them to attack and learn to behave like a normal human being.


Jungle DNA? Lord have mercy on any child in your care.

This is a six year old you have condemned for life. It's possible she is special needs.
0

#7 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 7,362
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 26 February 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

1. Failure of "parents" to teach children basics of civilized respect.
2. Failure of schools [and school boards] to stand up and defend accountability from both students and parents. If that means corporal punishment, well, that's what little 7 year old butts should understand.

Result is school throwing up their hands and saying they're not equipped to deal with discipline problems, so the "state" [police] must take care of it.
Police are not trained nor equipped to 'finesse' rowdy 7 yr olds. They're trained to subdue and render threats non-threatening. It should not be their job to begin with.
This is your brave new socialist world writ in microcosm.



Agreed.
0

#8 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 22,650
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

You can't be too careful these days. The 6 YO "kicked and punched three school employees". Okay, next step up from that is for that 6YO to find a handgun and shoot someone.... WHICH HAS BEEN DONE IN A SCHOOL.

Dedrick Darnell Owens.
0

#9 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 19,165
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

View PostMagic Rat, on 26 February 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

This is a stupid policy. Arresting a six-year-old for "misdemeanor battery", complete with mugshots and prints is overboard for throwing a temper tantrum earlier in the day. If these "school employees" can't control a six-year-old little girl, and feel the need to call the cops and continue with the complaint after she calms down, they should find a new line of work, as plant waterers or something.

The officer was pretty gentle with her and the zip-ties were policy but his flippant attitude illustrates him as an <censored> anyway. The proposed policy of twelve years and older for restraints is a good idea. Unless the kid is actively pitching a fit and is in danger of hurting herself or others, restraints are excessive and counter-productive.


That's what I mean. The beginning of the video shows the child very calmly sitting and listening to the school counselor read her a story. Why was this even necessary?
0

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 19,165
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 26 February 2020 - 11:55 AM, said:

You can't be too careful these days. The 6 YO "kicked and punched three school employees". Okay, next step up from that is for that 6YO to find a handgun and shoot someone.... WHICH HAS BEEN DONE IN A SCHOOL.

Dedrick Darnell Owens.


The girl wasn't armed. Should all children having temper tantrums be treated like potential mass murderers?
0

#11 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

  • Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 18,005
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

View PostLadybird, on 26 February 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

Jungle DNA? Lord have mercy on any child in your care.

This is a six year old you have condemned for life. It's possible she is special needs.

No, it's likely she's in special need of elementary discipline. From a parent. No, the police shouldn't have to be involved but this is where we are in 2020. No corporal punishment, the threat of which kept the rest of us in line back in the day. No fear of parental discipline, because Snookums "is a good kid".

Thank the ACLU, whiny parents, and spineless school administrators for her "handcuffs" and mug shot.
0

#12 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

  • Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 18,005
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

View PostLadybird, on 26 February 2020 - 11:57 AM, said:

The girl wasn't armed. Should all children having temper tantrums be treated like potential mass murderers?

Do they have your permission to spank her little disrespectful butt? If not, she's on her way there...
0

#13 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 7,362
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 26 February 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

Do they have your permission to spank her little disrespectful butt? If not, she's on her way there...

I don't think that is fair. Even kids with "good parents" misbehave. Especially when the parents aren't there. I misbehaved in school, many times. I haven't committed mass murder yet. We'll see what happens...
0

#14 User is offline   Tikk 

  • Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 9,289
  • Joined: 16-December 03

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

View PostLadybird, on 26 February 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:

That's what I mean. The beginning of the video shows the child very calmly sitting and listening to the school counselor read her a story. Why was this even necessary?


Because as Martin pointed out:

View PostMartin, on 26 February 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

From the link:
Kaia, a first grader at the charter school, had a tantrum earlier in the day where she had kicked and punched three school employees, leading to her arrest on a charge of misdemeanor battery, according to her arrest report.The officers put her in the backseat of the police SUV ,]Turner then returned to the school's office, reminding one employee that he would need a statement from her, and said she would likely get a subpoena. The woman agreed, though she said she was upset. The arrest report Turner completed said that a member of the school's faculty, Beverly Stoute, had requested to press charges against Kaia, something the school has denied.


"The arrest report Turner completed said that a member of the school's faculty, Beverly Stoute, had requested to press charges against Kaia, something the school has denied."

Someone at the school supposedly wanted to press charges against a 6 year old.
0

#15 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 8,097
  • Joined: 05-June 15

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 26 February 2020 - 11:51 AM, said:

1. Failure of "parents" to teach children basics of civilized respect.
2. Failure of schools [and school boards] to stand up and defend accountability from both students and parents. If that means corporal punishment, well, that's what little 7 year old butts should understand.

Result is school throwing up their hands and saying they're not equipped to deal with discipline problems, so the "state" [police] must take care of it.
Police are not trained nor equipped to 'finesse' rowdy 7 yr olds. They're trained to subdue and render threats non-threatening. It should not be their job to begin with.
This is your brave new socialist world writ in microcosm.


:exactly:

This post has been edited by RedSoloCup: 26 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

0

#16 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 19,165
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostTikk, on 26 February 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

Because as Martin pointed out:


"The arrest report Turner completed said that a member of the school's faculty, Beverly Stoute, had requested to press charges against Kaia, something the school has denied."

Someone at the school supposedly wanted to press charges against a 6 year old.


Well yeah, that's what I'm getting at. That kid who shot up the school made actual threats and was not arrested, but this tiny girl has a tantrum and they sic the cops on her.
0

#17 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

  • Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 18,005
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

View PostLadybird, on 26 February 2020 - 12:16 PM, said:

Well yeah, that's what I'm getting at. That kid who shot up the school made actual threats and was not arrested, but this tiny girl has a tantrum and they sic the cops on her.

Mileage varies. Try to keep up.

View PostMagic Rat, on 26 February 2020 - 12:05 PM, said:

I don't think that is fair. Even kids with "good parents" misbehave. Especially when the parents aren't there. I misbehaved in school, many times. I haven't committed mass murder yet. We'll see what happens...

How many adults did you slug as a 7 year old? "Misbehave" has a "spectrum", too.
0

#18 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 7,362
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 26 February 2020 - 12:23 PM, said:

Mileage varies. Try to keep up.


How many adults did you slug as a 7 year old? "Misbehave" has a "spectrum", too.


None. I was violent with other pupils though. Fights were very common in my school and neighborhood, even with small kids. Very few of us became mass murderers. But I am not very good at reading minds or the future.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: 26 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

0

#19 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

  • Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 18,005
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 26 February 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

None. I was violent with other pupils though. Fights were very common in my school and neighborhood, even with small kids. Very few of us became mass murderers. But I am not very good at reading minds or the future.

Agreed, but it was LB that put up the "mass murderer" strawman. More likely she'll just steal credit card information with a cell phone while working at Mickie D's like we had this week in Houston.
0

#20 User is offline   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 30,730
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:46 PM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 26 February 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

No, it's likely she's in special need of elementary discipline. From a parent. No, the police shouldn't have to be involved but this is where we are in 2020. No corporal punishment, the threat of which kept the rest of us in line back in the day. No fear of parental discipline, because Snookums "is a good kid".

Thank the ACLU, whiny parents, and spineless school administrators for her "handcuffs" and mug shot.

Taking a higher level view, parents may be exactly the problem here. Or rather, their absence. I’m reading that the grandma is the caretaker. This is not a good way to go, no matter the rights/privileges/respect/etc that people demand. This is more often than not the fundamental problem underneath it all.

Regarding the kid in this case, the school should deal with these problems on their own. Of course, their counselors will quickly tell you that often they have no parent to turn to, so their disciplinary action doesn’t carry much weight.

There are ways to fix this, but it requires a different approach than today. And the solutions don’t begin with “let’s get the government involved and write down new laws and form some new departments”.

This post has been edited by zurg: 26 February 2020 - 12:46 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 5 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users