RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Boy Scouts of America may declare bankruptcy - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Boy Scouts of America may declare bankruptcy Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gertie Keddle 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:08 AM

Boy Scouts of America may declare bankruptcy

By Max Jaeger

December 12, 2018

The Boy Scouts of America is mulling declaring bankruptcy amid flagging membership and an avalanche of costly sex abuse allegations, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Leaders have hired Chicago law firm Sidley Austin for help in a potential Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, sources told the outlet.

The organization has been fending off lawsuits over alleged abuse, including one filed by four former scouts who called the club a “pedophile magnet” and alleged that they were molested by scoutmaster Waldron Ackerman between 1974 and 1976.

The organization has reportedly lost two-thirds of its members — some 4 million boys — since the 1970s.

The Mormon Church, where scout membership was long considered a rite of passage, has yanked 610,000 scouts over the last two years.

Article

#2 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:21 AM

I'm 50/50 on this.

My understanding is that ~half the bankruptcy is due to the impending sexual abuse lawsuits. They need to take their lumps for that, if proven, even if it means the end of the organization. But the other half has something to do with girls or wannabee girlscouts filing a 'discrimination' suit for not being allowed to join up, or something like that. That lawsuit should be shat upon by the courts and flushed down the commode of history.

#3 User is online   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

Is that moral bankruptcy or financial? They surrendered the moral battle long ago.

#4 User is offline   Bubbajoebob 

• M dwarf stars
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 13 December 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

But the other half has something to do with girls or wannabee girlscouts filing a 'discrimination' suit for not being allowed to join up, or something like that.

It's the other way around. In 2019 girls will be allowed into the program, sometimes as separate patrols or dens, but they'll be able to earn all awards (Eagle scout, etc.) and do all the Boy Scouts of America, BSA, activities. Girl Scouts USA are suing the boy scouts because they're shifting to call themselves "Scouting" more often instead of "Boy Scouts" and the girl scout organization argues that they're diluting the girl scout name by leaving "boy" out of the description of BSA program.

#5 User is offline   Bubbajoebob 

• M dwarf stars
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:46 AM

For what it's worth, the email sent out yesterday by BSA in anticipation of articles like this hitting the news today is:

I am writing to you today in anticipation of news reports that will speculate about the BSA’s financial position. We have an important duty, and an incredible opportunity, to focus as an organization on keeping children safe, supported and protected, and preparing youth for their futures through our nation’s foremost program of character development and values-based leadership training.

To do so in perpetuity, we are working with experts to explore all options available to ensure that the local and national programming of the Boy Scout of America continues uninterrupted. We have a social and moral responsibility to fairly compensate victims who suffered abuse during their time in Scouting, and we also have an obligation to carry out our mission to serve youth, families and local communities through our programs.

We care deeply about all victims of child sex abuse and we are steadfast in our belief that one incident of child abuse is one too many. We sincerely apologize to anyone who was harmed during their time in our programs. As you all know, we have always taken care of victims – we believe them, we believe in fairly compensating them and we have paid for unlimited counseling, by a provider of their choice, regardless of the amount of time that has passed since an instance of abuse. Throughout our history we have taken proactive steps to help victims heal and prevent future abuse. I want to stress that at no time in our history have we knowingly allowed a sexual predator to work with youth, and we always seek to act swiftly when alerted to abuse allegations.

Please know that these matters continue to have the full attention of the highest levels of our organization, and we will communicate transparently as there are developments or updates to share. I wanted to update you today due to the news speculation, and I want to assure you that our daily mission will continue and that there are no imminent actions or immediate decisions expected.

Thank you for your continued support of the Boy Scouts of America.
Michael B. Surbaugh
Chief Scout Executive

#6 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

I'd personally like to see the Girl Scouts go belly up. Given the full-on SJW tilt they've gone in years past.

This post has been edited by RedSoloCup: 13 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

#7 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:20 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 13 December 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Is that moral bankruptcy or financial? They surrendered the moral battle long ago.

They've been sued by every deviant freak organization that there is and court ordered to allow freaks and perverts in as well as to pretty much stop with all the religious affiliations on which they were founded under.

It was only a matter of time before they were ruined.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 13 December 2018 - 07:21 PM

#8 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:23 PM

View PostRedSoloCup, on 13 December 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

I'd personally like to see the Girl Scouts go belly up. Given the full-on SJW tilt they've gone in years past.

The same freak groups also sued the crap out of them too and forced them to become PC.

But they threw in the towel much easier than the BSA.

#9 User is offline   Holland25 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:20 AM

When I was young the troop I belonged to was very large and had a large amount of father involvement. It was awesome. We did everything and went everywhere. The values they are supposed to teach were perfect and healthy. It was very patriotic. I think accepting girls was a bad thing. They have their own organization. Maybe the Left wanted to break this organization. I am not addressing sexual abuse. Naturally that is evil and criminal and anyone guilty of that should be prosecuted. I remember getting merit badges and doing book reports and learning a lot about civic responsibility and so much more.

I guess part of the problem is there are less kids for sure and the wholesome values they teach are not popular with most youth today..I guess. It's a shame, when it was great it was really great.

#10 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:54 AM

View PostHolland25, on 14 December 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

When I was young the troop I belonged to was very large and had a large amount of father involvement. It was awesome. We did everything and went everywhere. The values they are supposed to teach were perfect and healthy. It was very patriotic. I think accepting girls was a bad thing. They have their own organization. Maybe the Left wanted to break this organization. I am not addressing sexual abuse. Naturally that is evil and criminal and anyone guilty of that should be prosecuted. I remember getting merit badges and doing book reports and learning a lot about civic responsibility and so much more.

I guess part of the problem is there are less kids for sure and the wholesome values they teach are not popular with most youth today..I guess. It's a shame, when it was great it was really great.

You nailed it.

The left definitely wanted to break this organization because it goes against everything that these sick proggy freaks are.
They are the exact opposite.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 14 December 2018 - 07:55 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users