RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: What is poor? - RightNation.US

What is poor? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

View Postgrimreefer, on 12 March 2019 - 11:33 PM, said:

We have a guy on the ship who's a hardcore leftist Brawndo guzzler and has bragged in the past about how his family games the current system for the "freebies" that are "owed to them". This guy also goes out in port and will blow a few hundred bucks a night on alcohol and bar girls.

My point exactly. I would say to him, sooner or later someone is going to knock the sh$t out of you, take everything you have and not feel guilty about it one bit because you have more then them and you 'owe them'. And, the judge may not have an issue either(if they even get caught). Because to them you are rich and that makes it all okay.

Oki

#22 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

View PostJunto, on 13 March 2019 - 02:09 AM, said:

I've never seen truly poor, as in Haiti, India or something to that effect. Growing up, my parents made me volunteer at church on the 'bus route' picking up kids to go to church on Sundays. Every Saturday we went to 30-50 homes, mainly run-down trailers in run-down trailer parks in a rural community and asked the kids if they would come to church the next day. I saw what poor looked like - kids who were dirty, clothes that were given to them, and dirty. Parents that were dirty. Trailers falling apart. Trailers next door to them stripped out with insulation blowing in the wind. Kids who were happy to get a $0.50 toy or a cupcake for going to church on Sunday.

Personally, I went through a phase in my life after a traumatic (traumatic for 20-something me) breakup with a longtime girlfriend. Sold everything I owned that wouldn't fit inside a tiny 4 door car and moved to Mississippi after Katrina. I kept a minimal existence for a few years, sleeping on an air mattress. Never accumulated more than would fit in my car. I had a friend or two who lived down there and they found a roommate for me and promises of jobs everywhere. By the time I got there, all the good jobs for less skilled workers such as myself were already taken. I managed to find a manual labor job, shoveling all day under the hot Mississippi sun. I never worked in a place so hot like that - 95F and 95% humidity. Sweat from the moment I left the house until I got home each night. But since that didn't pay well, I took another shower and worked fast food until 1am.

I did that for a while until life worked itself out like it seems to do for people who work hard. I had no money before I picked up the fast food job because shoveling doesn't always pay well. It sucks putting on a uniform that people instantly see as a lesser job, and demeaning how they talked or looked at you as if you were a lesser human being. You do a lot of soul-searching in situations like that. After I got the second job, I had money but no time to spend it as I worked 6 or 7 days a week. At no point was I poor, and at no point I determined was I going to move back home as a failure. I stayed down there for a few years moving my way up from shoveler to heavy equipment operator. From being treated like a dog at some points to being respected for my work ethic.

Years later I moved back home and after getting married, found myself starting over again. This time I had a wife without the legal right to work while we filed papers, and a brand new daughter. Government assistance apparently doesn't exist for a small family of 3 living on $11/hr, at least not if you are white as we were turned down for everything but WIC. So I sucked up my pride and worked a fast food job again - every evening until 1am and back at the warehouse at 6:30am. Never once was I poor, or felt that way.

As life has a way of doing, I eventually found a great job and every time I start to get upset at some small injustice I see at work, I remind myself about what it's like at the bottom. I bite my lip and keep on working. Kids can be poor, and victims of their parent's flaws - I have much sympathy for them and I have seen what that looks like. Some people have medical issues that more or less limit what their options are, and I am understanding and sympathetic to their situation. Most everyone else that's poor but otherwise able-bodied I have little to no sympathy for other than seeing them as flawed, broken individuals who were never taught or lack the desire to try and fix their situation.

As someone who has worked a share of crap jobs as well I have seen people like yourself, struggling, starting over, working there ass of and trying to support themselves or a family, trying to work there way up. I have always and will continue to show them the utmost respect and dignity. The people like yourself who simply needed a helping hand UP is the reason why I have no issue with assistance programs and why they should and must exist. And yeah, I have known others like your self. Like yourself the people that I wanna' strangle are those who are of able body and mind but refuse to better their situation, at least for themselves if not for their kids and think they are owed something or game the system.

One big issue I do have with the way assistance works is the magic cut off number. Go just over a certain income threshold and you are cut off. This causes a lot of people who otherwise would earn more to stop just short as they will end up losing needed assistance. IE you normally make an an income of about $900 a month, you qualify for $500 total in assistance. This gives you a total of $1450 in total income. BUT, if you make $950 from your job you lose that $500. Smart thing would be a sort of prorating that says you'll only lose what you make over the limit or a portion of it until you hit the next limit. A sort of graduating scale that ensures and incentives the person to work and earn more. But, like I said there is a huge political incentive to keep as many people as poor and dependent on gov as possible.

Oki

#23 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:58 AM

My family has never been poor, but we have been broke. We had our share of illness and temporary setbacks. The thing is, though my parents and grandparents weren’t rich by any stretch of the imagination, they were well educated (especially for the times) and hard working. Temporary setbacks could be overcome with a little ingenuity. Both of my grandmothers were working moms.

No, I never saw my mom darn a sock. She was a full time RN and part time singer. If I needed something sewn, I did it myself.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users