RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Potential Breakthrough Treatment For PTSD - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Potential Breakthrough Treatment For PTSD Called SBG Is Being Studied Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:28 AM

Potential Breakthrough Treatment For PTSD Called SBG Is Being Studied
Jun 18, 2019
iHeart.com

<Too Short To Excerpt But Video Here>

From the 60 Minutes report, "could a simple shot in the neck be a break-through for the debilitating symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder? The toll from PTSD is growing. About 20 veterans a day commit suicide in what the VA is now calling an epidemic. Only 40% find relief from PTSD with current treatments. The new procedure called stellate ganglion block, or SGB, is so fast-acting that many believe it could be a game changer. Used for decades to treat chronic pain, it's only recently been tried for PTSD."

Dakota Meyer, the first living Marine to be awarded the Medal of Honor since the Vietnam war, says after the shot "it feels like "a million pounds was taken off me...I feel normal...If you took being downtown New York City in rush-hour traffic to, all of a sudden, driving down a quiet country road with nowhere to be."

The report points out that SGB does not cure patients of PTSD. Rather, it calms their hyperactive brain, allowing them to be more open to regular therapies.Patients often feel results within minutes, and the effects can last months.

<Too Short To Excerpt But Video Here>

#2 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:51 AM

I pray that this is what it seems. A simple and effective shot in the neck that can help many Vets, no mind altering drugs, no P.O.S. shrinks or V.A. that only care about making numbers? Oh please lord let this be something that helps the brave men and woman who gave so much only to come home with nightmares and a hell we can't even imagine. On a cynical note hopefully big Pharma isn't able to get this pushed to the side. Let's be honest here, those meds are worth huge $ $ $ and be damned if 'special interests' are gonna' let that gravy train come to a screeching halt without one hell of a fight.
Also, if this is effective for our brave young hero's it may very well work for others as well. Everyone from Police and Firefighters to Rape Victims. I really really hope it's everything it appears to be.

Oki

#3 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

There's also some interesting research going on with electrical nerve/brain stimulation:

DefenseOne (Jan 2019): Zap: How Electric Therapy Is Curing Navy SEALs of PTSD And Could Remake Brain Science

The American Legion (April 2018): Electrical stimulation treatment helps PTSD patients

Sunnybrook Health (Feb 2019)(Canada): First patient in Canada with treatment-resistant PTSD treated with deep brain stimulation

#4 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:26 AM

I sincerely hope this treatment helps.

This video does a good job of telling and illustrating my story.

#5 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

One of my children gets PTSD fairly severely. Was a linguist and listened in to terrorist phone conversations in Arabic for years, so is now paranoid and can't talk on the phone. And is having a difficult time getting employment because of other issues.

This sounds cautiously promising.

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 19 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

Oh Lord in Heaven, please let this be a genuine breakthrough.

:pray:

#7 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 19 June 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

One of my children gets PTSD fairly severely. Was a linguist and listened in to terrorist phone conversations in Arabic for years, so is now paranoid and can't talk on the phone. And is having a difficult time getting employment because of other issues.

Damn that's rough. To your youngin' I would tell them you did your job, you did it to the absolute best of your abilities, no matter what you think know, no matter what doubts you may feel know you saved a hell of a lot of good peoples lives. Know, it's time for you to start the next chapter IN YOUR LIFE and move forward. You never get over some things, you just try to find a way to deal with it enough that you can live your life and not let it stop you.

Oki

View PostMontyPython, on 19 June 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

Amen to that.

Oki

#8 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

View PostSARGE, on 19 June 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

I sincerely hope this treatment helps.

This video does a good job of telling and illustrating my story.

Vietnam Vets got screwed three times (at least) without ever getting laid once....

First by the media.
Then by our own gov
And then by numerous S.O.B.'s who called them everything from rapists to baby killers.

God bless you and all those who gave so much to never get the thank you and recognition you all earned.
I hope in the time since you have at least been able to find some peace and enjoy life.

Oki

#9 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:00 PM

The VA prescribed medical marijuana to my nephew. I hope there is a breakthrough that can get him off his current brain-rotting routine.

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 19 June 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

The VA prescribed medical marijuana to my nephew. I hope there is a breakthrough that can get him off his current brain-rotting routine.

It's very likely to make a positive difference! Marijuana has many amazing medical uses.

B)

#11 User is offline   searcher 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:59 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 19 June 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

I don't even want to imagine the things your child heard. Makes me angry that this country doesn't do more for those who serve in whatever capacity. I have my demons but like with my NF the symptoms are minor compared to most.

#12 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:59 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 June 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

Maybe Biden is working on the cure before he gets around to cancer.

#13 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:01 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 19 June 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

Another thing they've been looking at is micro doses of MDMA/Ecstasy. I guess other psychedelics such as psilocybin (mushrooms) and LSD are being looked at too in micro doses to combat PTSD and other issues.

#14 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:41 AM

Fantastic news! I weep at the thought of so many veterans suffering with this, mostly in silence. And not just veterans, but victims of violent crimes as well.

#15 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

View PostModerator T, on 20 June 2019 - 01:01 AM, said:

Another thing they've been looking at is micro doses of MDMA/Ecstasy. I guess other psychedelics such as psilocybin (mushrooms) and LSD are being looked at too in micro doses to combat PTSD and other issues.

One of the huge negative impacts of Leary letting LSD out of the lab and onto the streets, and Nixon's paranoia about pot smokers and getting it labeled Schedule 1, is that just about all research into such use was squelched.

Now they're finding out that psychedelics in moderate doses under a therapists guidance are very useful for PTSD or to allow dying people to better come to grips with impending death, and pot has many medicinal uses.

Something needs to be done, especially to help our vets who are suffering. They need proper care, we as a nation and a people owe it to them.

Another example, I watched my father die from cancer, a lingering and incredibly painful death. Something stronger like heroin should have been an option for him, the morphine did jack squat for the pain. And at first they tried to limit how much they gave him, saying they were worried about addiction!!! WTF! He's dying for cripes sake!!! So what if he gets "addicted."

#16 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

View PostSeverian, on 20 June 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

One of the huge negative impacts of Leary letting LSD out of the lab and onto the streets, and Nixon's paranoia about pot smokers and getting it labeled Schedule 1, is that just about all research into such use was squelched.

Now they're finding out that psychedelics in moderate doses under a therapists guidance are very useful for PTSD or to allow dying people to better come to grips with impending death, and pot has many medicinal uses.

Something needs to be done, especially to help our vets who are suffering. They need proper care, we as a nation and a people owe it to them.

Another example, I watched my father die from cancer, a lingering and incredibly painful death. Something stronger like heroin should have been an option for him, the morphine did jack squat for the pain. And at first they tried to limit how much they gave him, saying they were worried about addiction!!! WTF! He's dying for cripes sake!!! So what if he gets "addicted."

No kidding. Like everyone else I hope to God this technique not only works but also sees the light of day in main stream medicine. As pessimistic and even tin foil hat as it may sound I have my doubts it will see the light of day even if it is effective. 'Treating PTSD' has become a major cash cow for a certain entity and a simple but effective method has the potential to not only put a hurt on them but even another profession. Hate to go Tin Foil Hat, but it wouldn't surprise me if this gets buried. What I think could happen is it ends up being like the whole Red Wine thing or even Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. By that I mean even after years and years of people saying it works, it helps, it does this the Medical Community poo's poos' it and then finally after decades of concrete proof from other nations and people using or doing it, it becomes so damn over whelming that others try it, get the same results and only then does the medical community say well... inconclusive.
Sadly we have become a nation of if there is a pill for it(no matter the side effects) that is usually the Doctors go to treatment first and foremost and not something you can get from the grocery store and something which won't make certain 'interests' money. Sorry for the tin foil hat sounding rant, and I am not saying Big Pharma hasn't or doesn't save lives, but, at the same time there is a hell of a lot of conditions which don't need pills and could easily be dealt with naturally or simple things and not a prescription that only serves to make certain people serious $ $ $.

Oki

#17 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

View PostSeverian, on 20 June 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

Yup.

In my family's case it was marijuana, not heroin or psychedelics. And it wasn't the doctors refusing, it was the opposite: The doctors took me aside quietly (this was back when marijuana was still illegal in WA state) and confided in me that marijuana could very well save my dying father's life if I could only convince him to smoke some. The "marijuana pill" wouldn't help, because he'd vomit it right back up like everything else he put in his stomach. He needed to smoke some marijuana so that it could cure his nausea, making him able to eat the food his body needed without just throwing it right back up.

Unfortunately, my father had fallen for the same anti-pot nonsense and paranoia that so many millions of others have fallen for: "Evil" and "Dangerous" and "Addictive" and "Gateway" and all the rest of that stupid, uninformed, paranoid crap. So he refused to even try smoking pot to see if it would help.

He died very shortly after, in horrific pain. Shame on everybody who opposes even medicinal marijuana.

B)

#18 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

View Postoki, on 19 June 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

Vietnam Vets got screwed three times (at least) without ever getting laid once....

First by the media.
Then by our own gov
And then by numerous S.O.B.'s who called them everything from rapists to baby killers.

God bless you and all those who gave so much to never get the thank you and recognition you all earned.
I hope in the time since you have at least been able to find some peace and enjoy life.

Oki

You can actually make that 4 times if you include the disturbing number of guys claiming to be military even thought they never served. More than a few enrich themselves based on this lie, whether through business, VA benefits, etc. That type of thing screws over everybody who is or has been military and served honorably. But most of all, it is an insult to the memories of those who sacrificed everything.

Here in San Diego it is not uncommon to see guys saying they are homeless vets on the street panhandling. It sucks that the first question that comes to my mind is, "Is this guy for real?"

#19 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 20 June 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

You can actually make that 4 times if you include the disturbing number of guys claiming to be military even thought they never served. More than a few enrich themselves based on this lie, whether through business, VA benefits, etc. That type of thing screws over everybody who is or has been military and served honorably. But most of all, it is an insult to the memories of those who sacrificed everything.

Here in San Diego it is not uncommon to see guys saying they are homeless vets on the street panhandling. It sucks that the first question that comes to my mind is, "Is this guy for real?"

Very good point. These are some of the lowest forms of humanity. With so many Wounded Warriors needing and not getting the help they EARNED these S.O.B.'s only make the issue all that much worse.

Oki

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users