RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Are Young People Today Growing Up More Slowly? - RightNation.US

Are Young People Today Growing Up More Slowly? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:35 AM

Are Young People Today Growing Up More Slowly?
New study finds individualism linked to delayed onset of adult responsibilities.
Posted Feb 06, 2019
Lawrence T. White Ph.D.
Psychology Today

<More Captain Obvious Here>

When does a young adult become an adult? At a specific age, like 25 years old? Probably not.

A more reliable marker of entering adulthood is when a young person takes on responsibilities related to family and work finishing school, finding steady employment, getting married, and having children, for example.

Researchers have known for some time that young Americans are waiting longer and longer to assume adult responsibilities. This trend has been evident for at least 40 years, but the reasons are unclear. Teenagers and young adults are taking longer to achieve milestones like driving, dating, moving out, full-time work, being economically independent, marriage, and parenthood but no one really knows why.

Enter psychologists Jean Twenge and Keith Campbell. Building on earlier work, they recently completed two archival studies that examined the link between cultural individualism (CI) and the later onset of adult responsibilities (LOAR). As reported in the Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, Twenge and Campbell's first study examined the relationship between CI and LOAR across five decades in the U.S. The second study examined the relationship between CI and LOAR in a group of 53 nations.

In the first study, Twenge and Campbell tracked yearly indicators of individualism and indicators of adult-role responsibilities in the United States between 1973 and 2015. Indicators of individualism included the percentage of unusual baby names chosen by parents in that year and the percentage of survey respondents who agreed that sex between two unmarried adults is "not wrong at all." Yearly indicators of adult-role responsibilities included the average age at first marriage and the percentage of young men ages 15 to 24 who were employed.

Between 1972 and 2015, indicators of individualism and adult-role responsibilities increased slowly but surely; they also were very strongly correlated with each other (r = +0.96). In more individualistic years, young adults were slower to take on adult work and family roles. In less individualistic years, young adults were faster to take on adult roles.

In the second study, Twenge and Campbell gathered United Nations statistics related to work and family roles in 53 different nations average age of first marriage and years of compulsory education, for example. They also noted each nation's cultural individualism rating, which had been calculated earlier by social psychologist Geert Hofstede and his colleagues on the basis of large-scale surveys.

In the group of 53 countries, higher individualism rankings were associated with taking longer to settle into adult roles (r = +0.66). In more individualistic countries, like Australia and the Netherlands, young people are likely to assume work and family responsibilities later in life. In less individualistic countries, like Guatemala and Nigeria, young people are likely to assume work and family responsibilities earlier in life.

Astute readers will immediately wonder if a third variable economic factors may be responsible for the link between individualism and the later onset of adulthood. Twenge and Campbell also wondered about this, so they gathered economic data for the years 1973-2015 in the first study and for all 53 nations in the second study.

Economic strength is positively associated with cultural individualism, but according to Twenge and Campbell, individualism seems to be a better predictor than economic strength of the slow maturation to adulthood. Nevertheless, "given how intertwined these variables are, we want to be cautious in making any strong statement about a 'test' between individualism versus economic factors" (Twenge & Campbell, 2018, p. 680).

The observed relationship between individualism and the slower maturation to adulthood is seemingly counter-intuitive. If individualistic cultures encourage young people to be self-reliant and value autonomy, then young people in those cultures should want to strike out on their own sooner rather than later, right?

(snip)

<More Captain Obvious Here>

#2 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

I hate their use of terminology. Individualism leads to more dependence on parents and such? Seems like the word isn't chosen well.

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

View PostSeverian, on 17 May 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

I hate their use of terminology. Individualism leads to more dependence on parents and such? Seems like the word isn't chosen well.

Yeah, that struck me the same way. Seems to me the individualist is the one who will strive harder to be independent and self-sufficient.

:scratch:

#4 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 17 May 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

Yeah, that struck me the same way. Seems to me the individualist is the one who will strive harder to be independent and self-sufficient.

:scratch:

Yeah, I always was very much an individual, and I couldn't wait to get out from under my parent's control. I mean, I loved my parents very much, they were good people and loved me a lot, but damn, I wanted independence, my own place, my own car, my own lifestyle. I hunkered down and lived at home during college, graduated with no student debt so that made it worth it, but I chafed at the limitations and was eager to get a "real" job and get out on my own.

#5 User is online   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

Researchers have known for some time that young Americans are waiting longer and longer to assume adult responsibilities. This trend has been evident for at least 40 years, but the reasons are unclear. Teenagers and young adults are taking longer to achieve milestones like driving, dating, moving out, full-time work, being economically independent, marriage, and parenthood — but no one really knows why.

Yes. It's a complete mystery to those who warned for years (if not decades) of the dangers of trophies for merely participating. And for telling every child that they are winners.

ETA: Emphasis added.

This post has been edited by Tikk: 17 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

#6 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostTikk, on 17 May 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

Yes. It's a complete mystery to those who warned for years (if not decades) of the dangers of trophies for merely participating. And for telling every child that they are winners.

ETA: Emphasis added.

:exactly: :yes:

We are seeing the very product of decades of "no spank" parenting, "we don't keep score, it only hurts their self esteem", "everyone gets a trophy" entitled crybaby snowflake progtard SJWs who believe that it's perfectly okay to criminally intimidate and harass everyone that they don't like.

#7 User is offline   Coach 

• Coach

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

This is typical psychobabble turning reality on its head. Start from a different term, "TOXIC MASCULINITY" as though there is a threat. Based on what the modern so called experts preach I was reared, taught and coached by legions of TOXIC MALES AND FEMALES. My mother granted no quarter in raising three sons when dad was gone working in the oil field. My dad and grand dads were TOXIC, my coaches were mostly WW II veterans as were my teachers and college professors. My generation was expected to take responsibility and we were surrounded by adults who had dealt with the great depression and war.

I can't remember not being expected to take responsibility for my actions or perhaps just as important not having been made aware of who the slackers were around me and in society in general. Using one's judgement was an expectation based on observation, reasoning and coming to a conclusion.

So yes, kids not only grow up more slowly they are often retarded. Just check out the democrat slate of presidential candidates and the pundits on TV.

#8 User is offline   USMCforever60 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

We all own this end game. Maybe when the big one gets dropped all the SJW will hold hands in the hope of stopping the blast wave!!!!!

#9 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

Yup, all of the above.

:yes:

I never got any trophies I didn't earn. I never got a passing grade when I deserved an F. I never needed a "safe space" to hide from somebody who liked something I didn't like. I got a good spanking when I misbehaved. Etc etc etc.

In fact, if I misbehaved in Mrs S_____'s yard, I'd get a good spanking from Mrs S_____ first, who would then call my mother to insure I got another good spanking when I got home. And best of all, my mother would thank Mrs S_____ for spanking me.

And the same went for every other mother's yard in the neighborhood.

Ahh...good times, good times...

#10 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

The researchers emphasize individualism yet ignore mollycoddling. Individuals can be immature, slow learners, or just plain lazy. When those undesirable traits are taught and reinforced by institutions, you slow the progress an entire generation. The findings in this study are by design not the result of an attempt to herd cats.

#11 User is online   Oathtaker 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

I would venture to say they are not growing up at all.

#12 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 17 May 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Yup, all of the above.

I never got any trophies I didn't earn. I never got a passing grade when I deserved an F. I never needed a "safe space" to hide from somebody who liked something I didn't like. I got a good spanking when I misbehaved. Etc etc etc.

In fact, if I misbehaved in Mrs S_____'s yard, I'd get a good spanking from Mrs S_____ first, who would then call my mother to insure I got another good spanking when I got home. And best of all, my mother would thank Mrs S_____ for spanking me.

And the same went for every other mother's yard in the neighborhood.

Ahh...good times, good times...

Same here-except I went to Catholic schools so I dealt with nuns with rulers and the pastor with a wooden spoon. They weren't so bad but God help you if they called your parents. I never had the call (I never got caught) but my brother did!

#13 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:42 PM

One thing I do know is that research articles are getting worse by the decade... :whistling:

#14 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 17 May 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

Same here-except I went to Catholic schools so I dealt with nuns with rulers and the pastor with a wooden spoon. They weren't so bad but God help you if they called your parents. I never had the call (I never got caught) but my brother did!

Well I never went to Catholic school, but in my junior high & high schools many teachers had wooden paddles that stung every bit as badly as any wooden spoon or ruler.

yeouch!

:confused:

#15 User is online   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:07 AM

View PostCoach, on 17 May 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

This is typical psychobabble turning reality on its head.

I can't remember not being expected to take responsibility for my actions....

I've seen countless examples where bad behavior was continually rewarded and the resulting 20 something still refusing to act like an adult.

This post has been edited by NH Populist: 18 May 2019 - 08:10 AM

#16 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 17 May 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

Are Young People Today Growing Up More Slowly?

http://i.postimg.cc/brfMKsvd/older-and-bitter.jpg

#17 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 18 May 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

http://i.postimg.cc/brfMKsvd/older-and-bitter.jpg

Me, I am sure: This generation really is as dumb as it seems.

But don't misunderstand: I don't mean they were "born" dumb - They were trained to be dumb in public schools.

<_<

This post has been edited by MontyPython: 18 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

#18 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 18 May 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

Me, I am sure: This generation really is as dumb as it seems.

But don't misunderstand: I don't mean they were "born" dumb - They were trained to be dumb in public schools.

<_<

Yepper!...I just picture "The Wall" "All in All..."

Kestrel...

#19 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:06 PM

View Postkestrel, on 18 May 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

Yepper!...I just picture "The Wall" "All in All..."

Kestrel...

#20 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

View PostRock N, on 17 May 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

:exactly: :yes:

We are seeing the very product of decades of "no spank" parenting, "we don't keep score, it only hurts their self esteem", "everyone gets a trophy" entitled crybaby snowflake progtard SJWs who believe that it's perfectly okay to criminally intimidate and harass everyone that they don't like.

:exactly:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users