RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Immune cell which kills most cancers discovered by accident - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Immune cell which kills most cancers discovered by accident by British scientists in major breakthrough Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:38 AM

Immune cell which kills most cancers discovered by accident by British scientists in major breakthrough
Sarah Knapton
20/01/2020
MSN

<More Awesome News Here>

A new type of immune cell which kills most cancers has been discovered by accident by British scientists, in a finding which could herald a major breakthrough in treatment.

Researchers at Cardiff University were analysing blood from a bank in Wales, looking for immune cells that could fight bacteria, when they found an entirely new type of T-cell.

That new immune cell carries a never-before-seen receptor which acts like a grappling hook, latching on to most human cancers, while ignoring healthy cells.

In laboratory studies, immune cells equipped with the new receptor were shown to kill lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer.

Professor Andrew Sewell, lead author on the study and an expert in T-cells from Cardiff University's School of Medicine, said it was "highly unusual" to find a cell that had broad cancer-fighting therapies, and raised the prospect of a universal therapy.

"This was a serendipitous finding, nobody knew this cell existed," Prof Sewell told The Telegraph.

"Our finding raises the prospect of a 'one-size-fits-all' cancer treatment, a single type of T-cell that could be capable of destroying many different types of cancers across the population. Previously nobody believed this could be possible."

Asked if it meant that someone in Wales was walking around completely immune to cancer, Prof Sewell said: "Possibly. This immune cell could be quite rare, or it could be that lots of people have this receptor but for some reason it is not activated. We just don't know yet."

(snip)

<More Awesome News Here>

#2 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

Not to be a wet blanket, but I doubt that we will ever see anything come from this.

The greedy evil powers that be won't allow it.

#3 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

View PostRock N, on 05 February 2020 - 07:47 AM, said:

Not to be a wet blanket, but I doubt that we will ever see anything come from this.

The greedy evil powers that be won't allow it.

While it's true there is a huge industry making money off of cancer treatment, they can't keep cures off the market forever. I'm sure the oil industry tried to keep electric cars off the market for a long time but it looks like that dam has cracked.

I also don't think it's a stock pump-and-dump scheme seeing how it came from a university.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. My mother died from cancer in 2012. More accurately, she died from cancer treatment.

This post has been edited by Natural Selection: 05 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

#4 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

Well, the last thing accidentally discovered by a British scientist (the Ayrshire born Alexander Fleming) was quite handy, so.....

#5 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

View Postscotsman, on 05 February 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

Well, the last thing accidentally discovered by a British scientist (the Ayrshire born Alexander Fleming) was quite handy, so.....

Did he invent scotch?

#6 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

Fleming...Hmmmm...He created the James Bond character, right? :lol:

#7 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 05 February 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

Did he invent scotch?

LOL

No, but as a fellow Ayrshireman, I will happily toast him with one. And no, he wasn't related to Ian either lol.

He was born and raised in East Ayrshire, which I know well, having lived, loved, partied and worked there. In fact, I have walked by the 'secondary school' in a small town called Galston, where he went to as a teenage child, many a time. I used to live in said town back in the mid 90s. Know his actual birthplace of Darvel well also.

Fleming is East Ayrshire's best known son, also Johnnie Walker whisky is from Kilmarnock in the same region.
Robert the Bruce, Rabbie Burns and John McAdam (who invented tarmac, hence the original name of tarmacadam) are South Ayrshire's favourite sons.
John Galt is North Ayrshire's.
Ayrshire is about 370,000 people. And just over 1000 sq miles in size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayrshire

This post has been edited by scotsman: 05 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

#8 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

It wasn't Haggis by any chance? Wait, that isn't exactly handy...
:tongue2:

Speaking of favorite sons.... look up a guy from Waukesha Wisconsin by the name of Lester Polsfuss.

#9 User is offline   Holland25 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

I always knew something like this would be the answer. Chemo and radiation destroys so many healthy cells and tissues. Like white blood cells that receive chemical signals to travel to the source of an infection. In my fantasy I discover an synthetic Oncophage cell to kill cancer cells. It would be introduced into the patient and would reproduce as long as there is a food source (cancer cell) and once the cancer cells are gone the oncophages would die off or continue in the body being an effective immunity against future cancer cells. Then I woke up. But I am told that this is one avenue they are researching.

Do you know how many years ago I thought of pet hospice? I consider myself a very successful dreamer and potential millionaire--lol

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users