RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Hired Gun: Netflix - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hired Gun: Netflix Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

Very worthwhile documentary that spotlights not the frontmen of rock bands, but the musicians around them (Think, who are the other guys in Alice Coopers band?). The piece focuses on them, how they go about getting work, and how they got some of their bigger gigs. Quite a bit of interesting info in it. As an example, I had always thought that the guitar solo in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was from Eddie Van Halen. Apparently the track was done by a member of Toto.

One of the constant threads running through the doc had to deal with Billy Joel's band, which he had kept intact for 3 decades. The story about why they no longer play together is pretty tragic.

Cool documentary. Features interviews with names familiar and not familiar. No sordid life on the road tales, but that really isn't the point of the piece. If you have an interest in the workings of this part of the entertainment industry, this is a good watch.

#2 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 13 May 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

Very worthwhile documentary that spotlights not the frontmen of rock bands, but the musicians around them (Think, who are the other guys in Alice Coopers band?). The piece focuses on them, how they go about getting work, and how they got some of their bigger gigs. Quite a bit of interesting info in it. As an example, I had always thought that the guitar solo in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was from Eddie Van Halen. Apparently the track was done by a member of Toto.

One of the constant threads running through the doc had to deal with Billy Joel's band, which he had kept intact for 3 decades. The story about why they no longer play together is pretty tragic.

Cool documentary. Features interviews with names familiar and not familiar. No sordid life on the road tales, but that really isn't the point of the piece. If you have an interest in the workings of this part of the entertainment industry, this is a good watch.

I watched this some time back and thought it was pretty good. The tale of the guys from Billy Joel is pretty sad. Seems to me that they contributed more to his success than they received credit and compensation for.

I also liked how they focused on the music and not on the "life."

#3 User is online   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

Think the next logical step from the The Wrecking Crew! (2008) during the sixties.

#4 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

It does indeed sound interesting. Does Netflix stuff ever get released on DVD?

:shrug:

#5 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 13 May 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

It does indeed sound interesting. Does Netflix stuff ever get released on DVD?

:shrug:

This one is on dvd. Looked it up, 10 bucks at Best Buy. If you have a Redbox close by, it might be worthwhile to see if they offer it as a rental.

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 13 May 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

This one is on dvd. Looked it up, 10 bucks at Best Buy. If you have a Redbox close by, it might be worthwhile to see if they offer it as a rental.

Thanks. I have no idea what "Redbox" is, but I'd rather buy than rent.

B)

#7 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 13 May 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

Thanks. I have no idea what "Redbox" is, but I'd rather buy than rent.

B)

Redbox is still around in lieu of Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. It is a red box that can be found sitting outside places like grocery stores or pharmacies where you pick a title, pay, and return by specified date. Never used it, I just know about them because there is one near me here, and there was one outside a Walgreens in Tucson. But yeah, renting is a little too 90ish. :D

#8 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

I watched this a while back, as well. Very good documentary.

One of the bass players in the doc so inspired me that I looked him up on LinkedIn and requested to connect.

Not only did he connect, but he sent me a very nice message back.

#9 User is offline   corporal_little 

• What is your major malfunction....

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:52 AM

A friend of mine was (and now is) the drummer for Stryper. When they broke up he played for Ozzie for several years and did a bunch of sound track stuff for several movies. Kind of weird how that whole industry works. He got screwed out of so much money it's not even funny.

#10 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:59 PM

View Postcorporal_little, on 13 May 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

A friend of mine was (and now is) the drummer for Stryper. When they broke up he played for Ozzie for several years and did a bunch of sound track stuff for several movies. Kind of weird how that whole industry works. He got screwed out of so much money it's not even funny.

Yeah, in the documentary and in other interviews I've seen Jason Newsted talks about how when he replaced Cliff Burton (RIP) in Metallica he was paid 500 dollars a week to start. Eventually he saw much bigger money, but very few of those people get rich doing that kind of work. Being from Detroit, I would hear stories about the guys in the house band for Motown Records. They did the music for some of the bigger hits ever made and got paid subsistence level wages at best.

#11 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

View Postcorporal_little, on 13 May 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

Drummers are the hardest working band members, IMO. However, they are also the lowest paid.

It is a tough business.

#12 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

There was another documentary about the "side guys" mostly from the 60's...I think they were mostly the studio guys that actually did the music for the albums..I think it was called "Wrecking Crew". also very good.

Kestrel...

#13 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:13 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 13 May 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

Yeah, in the documentary and in other interviews I've seen Jason Newsted talks about how when he replaced Cliff Burton (RIP) in Metallica he was paid 500 dollars a week to start. Eventually he saw much bigger money, but very few of those people get rich doing that kind of work. Being from Detroit, I would hear stories about the guys in the house band for Motown Records. They did the music for some of the bigger hits ever made and got paid subsistence level wages at best.

He did end up being a full member of the band, 1/4 stake, if I am not mistaken. My hat is off to him for leaving to do what he wanted that Metallica would not allow him to do. Used to like Metallica a lot but James and Lars are both such flaming buttheads.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users