RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Don McLean calls UCLA students 'morons' for offering, then res - RightNation.US

Don McLean calls UCLA students 'morons' for offering, then res Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostSeverian, on 14 May 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

Joan Baez ruined "The Night They Tore Old Dixie Down" for me.

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 14 May 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

I had to listen to "The Band's" version about 50 times to get it out of my head.

(Still, my favorite is Chest Fever. Not the 3 Dog Night one.)

I am torn. I like Baez's voice. Especially when she teams with her sister Mimi Farina. It's powerful, and has "range".

But this song was Definitely written from a guy's perspective: from "Virgil Caine is My Name" to "Left my wife in Tennessee". Without being in any way misogynist, it loses something when a female does it.

The Bands version? It was okay. Referencing their film "The Last Waltz", it was good but not great.

Best I've Heard: Caryville TN circa '12 or '13. Restaurant called "Rickard Ridge BBQ" leased in Cove Lake State park. "Pickup Night" several nights of the week; ANYONE can go on stage and "pick up" a microphone. Best I've heard: Wish I knew who they were; belted out "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" in a way that brought tears to my eyes and I almost wanted to sign up.

#22 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

My first take when I read this headline was that it had to do with Don Maclean, the star UCLA basketball player, from the late 80's.

#23 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

View PostLadybird, on 14 May 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

Didnít know she did. Thanks for the warning.

It was bad enough enduring her version of Love Donít Live Here Anymore.
Just stop it.

Do NOT get me started on Madonna's cover of Love Don't Live Here Anymore ... Just unforgivable.

#24 User is online   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:50 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 14 May 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Madonna ruined the song "American Pie" for me.

Not a fan of Madonna by any stretch. She did a great job for the title track "Live to Tell" from hubby Sean's movie "At Close Range"

Can't get the link to work without the https.... It works, just click the link.

https://www.youtube....9A9GjgI&index=1

#25 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

http://www.poplife.info/Bilder/561190.JPG

#26 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 14 May 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

I still have the original vinyl album.

:yes:

I still have a vinyl (2 side) 45rpm version.
I also heard him do it live at a small club in Latham NY where the owner had signed him to an annual show and he honored the contract. Great show for maybe 300 people.

This post has been edited by Bookdoc: 14 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

#27 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 14 May 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

I don't believe it was ever released as a "single", so you probably never heard it on the radio, but it was on the soundtrack to the film The Next Best Thing (2000) which was itself largely forgettable.

This was at the height of her techno-pop/synth-pop/whatever-you-call-it phase and, oh lord, it was terrible.

See my comment above. It was released as a single and you had to turn it over halfway through. Hey-we had 8 tracks that "clunked" during songs...

This post has been edited by Bookdoc: 14 May 2019 - 08:14 PM

#28 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

View PostBerkeleyUnderground, on 14 May 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

As California transitions into a Latino majority state, will UCLA have to lower its standards to accommodate all those affirmative action Latinos wanting to go to school there?

They wonít need to take the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), instead the Scholastic Hispanic Aptitude Test (SHAT) will suffice.

(If someone doesnít get that Iím joking...)

This post has been edited by zurg: 14 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

#29 User is offline   skyline8 

• Group: Registered Guest

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

Saw him perform live on main street Deadwood SD. An awesome free concert many years ago.

#30 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:45 PM

Bookdoc, on 14 May 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

I still have a vinyl (2 side) 45rpm version.
I also heard him do it live at a small club in Latham NY where the owner had signed him to an annual show and he honored the contract. Great show for maybe 300 people.

Yeah, I remember those 2-sided singles for extra-long songs.

Bookdoc, on 14 May 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Dean Adam Smithee, on 14 May 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

I don't believe it was ever released as a "single", so you probably never heard it on the radio, but it was on the soundtrack to the film The Next Best Thing (2000) which was itself largely forgettable.

This was at the height of her techno-pop/synth-pop/whatever-you-call-it phase and, oh lord, it was terrible.

See my comment above. It was released as a single and you had to turn it over halfway through. Hey-we had 8 tracks that "clunked" during songs...

I'm pretty sure they were referring to the Madonna version never being released as a single. Here's the sequence of their comments on the subject:

Dean Adam Smithee, on 14 May 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Madonna ruined the song "American Pie" for me.

Ladybird, on 14 May 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

Didnít know she did. Thanks for the warning.

Dean Adam Smithee, on 14 May 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

B)

#31 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

MontyPython, on 14 May 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Grok no grok...

:scratch:

I'm guessing if somebody had ever seen all those Star Wars movies they might understand all the jokes better than I did.

:shrug:

Never knew she did it. Have no interest in looking it up, LOL.

:2up:

Ahem..."Drove"..."The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"...

;)

As much as I would like to give you schtick for not seeing any Star Wars movies, I can't talk as I am one of a handful of people who does not drink coffee. Worse yet, I am pretty much immune to Caffeine and have a damn high tolerance to pain killers, and many other meds. Hell, when I had my last two Wisdom teeth pulled a year ago they gave me Oxycodone, even after having consumed one beer(only because I was able to slowly sip it) I took one and it did absolutely nothing(damnit). So needless to say I cannot give to much grief to ya'.

:drinkers:

Oki

#32 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

oki, on 15 May 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

As much as I would like to give you schtick for not seeing any Star Wars movies, I can't talk as I am one of a handful of people who does not drink coffee. Worse yet, I am pretty much immune to Caffeine and have a damn high tolerance to pain killers, and many other meds. Hell, when I had my last two Wisdom teeth pulled a year ago they gave me Oxycodone, even after having consumed one beer(only because I was able to slowly sip it) I took one and it did absolutely nothing(damnit). So needless to say I cannot give to much grief to ya'.

:drinkers:

Oki

Actually, I did see the very first one, way back when it first came out in 1977. I was working at National Screen Service back then (a company that produced and distributed motion picture advertising material - posters, banners, lobby cards, trailers, TV & radio ads, newspaper ads, etc), so I had a "Movie Pass" card that got me & a guest into any theater in WA, OR & ID free anytime I pleased. It was cool being able to walk right past all those hundreds of people standing in lines around the block, just go straight to the ticket booth, flash my card, and be ushered right in ahead of everybody else. It was a great way to impress a date, LOL, because she'd be convinced I must be some Hollywood bigwig, like a producer or director or whatever. Nope, LOL, I was just a lowly shipping clerk at the Seattle NSS warehouse. Didn't matter, everybody who worked for NSS got one of those "Movie Pass" cards.

So anyhow, yeah, I saw the very first Star Wars 42 years ago (1977) when it was originally released. And frankly, I never could understand what all the fuss was about. I mean sure, it was reasonably entertaining I guess, but nothing "great" or "amazing" or "fantastic". Nothing I'd bother to watch a second time, nor bother to see any of the sequels.

#33 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

MontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

Actually, I did see the very first one, way back when it first came out in 1977. I was working at National Screen Service back then (a company that produced and distributed motion picture advertising material - posters, banners, lobby cards, trailers, TV & radio ads, newspaper ads, etc), so I had a "Movie Pass" card that got me & a guest into any theater in WA, OR & ID free anytime I pleased. It was cool being able to walk right past all those hundreds of people standing in lines around the block, just go straight to the ticket booth, flash my card, and be ushered right in ahead of everybody else. It was a great way to impress a date, LOL, because she'd be convinced I must be some Hollywood bigwig, like a producer or director or whatever. Nope, LOL, I was just a lowly shipping clerk at the Seattle NSS warehouse. Didn't matter, everybody who worked for NSS got one of those "Movie Pass" cards.

So anyhow, yeah, I saw the very first Star Wars 42 years ago (1977) when it was originally released. And frankly, I never could understand what all the fuss was about. I mean sure, it was reasonably entertaining I guess, but nothing "great" or "amazing" or "fantastic". Nothing I'd bother to watch a second time, nor bother to see any of the sequels.

For it's time the Special Effects where top notch, but I think it was something very original and completely different. Certainly it was very hyped, but keep in mind they spent crap loads of $ $ $ on it and had to make their investment back. Which of coarse not only did they make their money back, it also set them up for huge $ $ $ with all the sequels and merchandise. And also set a new standard for merchandising of movies. For what it's worth I still have a used Return of The Jedi Poster. Which was actually used in the movie theater window.
Other than some toy micro machine ships it's the only Star Wars goodies I have. Not really worth much, but none of it really takes up any space and they are fun conversation pieces.

Just hoping no one uses the name of a certain female performer and Don McClean's signature song in the same sentence. Her name and pie in the same sentence is just something that should never ever be said together.

Oki

#34 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

oki, on 15 May 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

For it's time the Special Effects where top notch, but I think it was something very original and completely different. Certainly it was very hyped, but keep in mind they spent crap loads of $ $ $ on it and had to make their investment back. Which of coarse not only did they make their money back, it also set them up for huge $ $ $ with all the sequels and merchandise. And also set a new standard for merchandising of movies. For what it's worth I still have a used Return of The Jedi Poster. Which was actually used in the movie theater window.
Other than some toy micro machine ships it's the only Star Wars goodies I have. Not really worth much, but none of it really takes up any space and they are fun conversation pieces.

Rest assured, I'm aware of all the Star Wars hype & special effects & million-dollar promo campaign & so forth better than anybody else here - Don't forget, that's the very industry I was working in at the time: Motion picture advertising material & promo merchandise & market saturation campaigns. That "Pass" card meant I was going to pretty much every movie released in the mid-70's. In fact, I'll bet you've seen me stating many times in many other threads how I got sick of "new" movies (and TV shows and music and stuff) during the 70's and nowadays ignore almost everything newer than the late 60's - early 70's. Well one of the reasons I stopped paying attention to "current pop culture" was specifically because of all the hype and promo crap for movies like Star Wars. I've never been impressed by "special effects". I wanna see great stories by great writers portrayed by great actors, not a bunch of golly-gee special effects, explosions, computer-generated whiz-bang stuff. *YAWN* Face it, special effects was pretty much the only thing Star Wars had going for it. With the single exception of Alec Guinness there were no "great" actors or "great" acting. Hell any mid-60's TV western was just as exciting and action-packed.

As for that poster, look at the tiny writing at the bottom margin. If it says "Property of National Screen Service" it's a genuine original.

B)

#35 User is offline   Mrdirt73 

• Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

Wag-a-Muffin (D), on 14 May 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

I had to listen to "The Band's" version about 50 times to get it out of my head.

(Still, my favorite is Chest Fever. Not the 3 Dog Night one.)

Their cover of Dylan's When I Paint My Masterpiece is my favorite but I do love Garth on Chest Fever.

#36 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

MontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

Rest assured, I'm aware of all the Star Wars hype & special effects & million-dollar promo campaign & so forth better than anybody else here - Don't forget, that's the very industry I was working in at the time: Motion picture advertising material & promo merchandise & market saturation campaigns. That "Pass" card meant I was going to pretty much every movie released in the mid-70's. In fact, I'll bet you've seen me stating many times in many other threads how I got sick of "new" movies (and TV shows and music and stuff) during the 70's and nowadays ignore almost everything newer than the late 60's - early 70's. Well one of the reasons I stopped paying attention to "current pop culture" was specifically because of all the hype and promo crap for movies like Star Wars. I've never been impressed by "special effects". I wanna see great stories by great writers portrayed by great actors, not a bunch of golly-gee special effects, explosions, computer-generated whiz-bang stuff. *YAWN* Face it, special effects was pretty much the only thing Star Wars had going for it. With the single exception of Alec Guinness there were no "great" actors or "great" acting. Hell any mid-60's TV western was just as exciting and action-packed.

As for that poster, look at the tiny writing at the bottom margin. If it says "Property of National Screen Service" it's a genuine original.

B)

Absolutely, special effects where meant to add to a movie and should never be the center point.
For what it's a worth a number of virtually 0 special effects and no name actor movies went on to become huge successes for the very reasons you describe. The actors, directors and story line. I have been lucky to have seen a few. Sadly, Hollywood only wants to produce stuff that one makes sh$t loads of cash and two promotes THEIR AGENDA and makes only certain people rich or famous. Thankfully, due to the internet this status quo is under siege. All you gotta' do is make something and put it up on any number of sites and you can get exposure without the Hollywood machine. And yeah, I have seen a few low budget, no studio, no big name and possibly not even professional actor type movies that where quite good.

For all the bad things about the internet this is one that is long over do.

Oki

#37 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Mrdirt73, on 15 May 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

Their cover of Dylan's When I Paint My Masterpiece is my favorite but I do love Garth on Chest Fever.

Last masterpiece I ever painted involved a Cold snow filled night and a six pack of Wisconsin's finest.

Oki

#38 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:14 PM

gravelrash, on 14 May 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

Do NOT get me started on Madonna's cover of Love Don't Live Here Anymore ... Just unforgivable.

Yes. Excruciating.

tailgunner, on 14 May 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

Not a fan of Madonna by any stretch. She did a great job for the title track "Live to Tell" from hubby Sean's movie "At Close Range"

Can't get the link to work without the https.... It works, just click the link.

https://www.youtube....9A9GjgI&index=1

Itís a good tune and a really good movie. Iíve read it was all true.

#39 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

MontyPython, on 14 May 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Ahem..."Drove"..."The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"...

;)

See!!! She got me so upset she made me forget the name of the song! :insanity:

I remember hearing one of the band members describing how the song came to be on the radio once when they were about to play the song. The band members were touring through the South and were amazed at the depth of feeling and desire to preserve the history of the War and the South (yeah, different times). Started researching the South and its history and the song came out of it. I think it's a great song.

Not quite as bitter and dark as the "I'm A Good Old Rebel" written right after the end of the War.

#40 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:12 PM

MontyPython, on 15 May 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

B)

Return of the Jedi (1983) might not have been an NSS poster. NSS was getting compettion by then as the industry was moving to smaller (and cheaper) 27" x 40"/41" "One Sheets" rather than the 40" x 60" NSS-size posters. NSS lasted a while longer but was gone by '99 or '00

Here's an original Star Wars (1977) 40" x 60" poster listing for $2,999: OriginalFilmArt.com: Star Wars (1977) If you zoom in and scroll to the center of the bottom margin it's a little blurry but you can just barely make out "Property of National Screen Service Corporation..."

Here's an original Return of the Jedi (1983) 27" by 41" "One Sheet" listing for $259 with certificate of authenticity from the same seller: OriginalFilmArt.com: Return of the Jedi (1983). There are no NSS markings in the margin, just "Printed in the USA".

How to tell these days? If it's 27"x41" (pre-'85) or 27"x40" ('85+) then it's likely a legit "One Sheet" actually used by a theater. If it's 24" x 36" then that's standard mass-market "poster size" that AFAIK were never used for legit ads.

EtA: What sucks is that if you're a collector, you pretty much have to go with custom framing for one-sheets. And that's not very budget-friendly. Of course if you're really fanatical you might be able to scare up a surplus lockable display case as used by some theaters, but I haven't seen one of those on the market in ages.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 15 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users