RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 'Inconceivable!' Fans Outraged as Hollywood Considers ' - RightNation.US

'Inconceivable!' Fans Outraged as Hollywood Considers ' Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:24 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

:doh:

You started it...

#22 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

:doh:

I could have said 'literally'...

#23 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 September 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

Or 'irregardless'...

;)

#24 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

Or 'irregardless'...

;)

That's a whole nother discussion.

#25 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 19 September 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

One other thing about books versus movies Ė you create your own movie in your head when you read a book and that canít be recreated on film. Everyone has their own interpretation of a how a character looks or how a scene plays out and no one else will have quite the same interpretation. I think the only time I heard of a character from a book being brought to the screen when (almost) everyone agreed with the actor who played him was Clark Gable being cast as Rhett Butler. I read "The Shipping News" and liked it, although it was a quirky book. When they made the movie the last two actors I would have cast as the leads were Kevin Spacey and Julianne Moore! But sometimes you just have to enjoy a movie for the sake of the movie. And I love "The Princess Bride" but haven't had a chance to read the book, so there you go.

Very few movies are better than books. But there some. For example, Forest Gump was mentioned in this thread. Horrible book. Decent movie.

And the book that Apocalypse Now was based on, Heart of Darkness, is unreadable, IMO.

And the only movie I found that equaled the book was Silence of the Lamb. Great book. Great movie. Of course, that is just my opinion. ;)

#26 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:53 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 19 September 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

It’s a good thing we all have different taste or they would only have to make one movie, record one record, write one book – well, you get the idea. I don’t get Forrest Gump (except for the part with Gary Sinise, love him) and never understood why The Graduate was so popular. Not everybody likes the same thing and you can’t explain to someone who doesn’t like a movie or book or rock group why you are drawn to it.

And there is no way a remake would be anywhere near as good, partly because of the PC sanitization that would take place.

I hated ET.

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 September 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

You started it...

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 September 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

Stop the fighting, guys, I mean it!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 19 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

#27 User is online   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:27 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

Once again, EXACTLY.

Yup, when you read a book your mind automatically pictures what a character looks like, what his/her voice sounds like, etc. Then when you see the movie allegedly based on the book, the casting is often a severe disappointment. Not always, but often.

B)

I agree. I am a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. After seeing Charles Dance play Lord Havelock Vetinari in Going Postal I now hear his voice when reading him in the books. Something I did not do after watching Jeremy Irons in The Color of Magic.

If you are not familiar with Discworld novel I highly recommend them. The only two I would not recommend are Monstrous Regiment and Unseen Academicals.

#28 User is online   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 19 September 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

I hated ET.

Spoiler

I hated ET as well. How can a a civilization invent Faster Than Light travel, and skip the invention of the head count.

#29 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:34 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 September 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

Inconceivable!

You keep using that work. I don't think it means what you think it means.

#30 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 September 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

That's a whole nother discussion.

Oh I could care less...(;))...

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 19 September 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

Spoiler

Look, I came here for an argument!

(Monty Python reference...)

View PostJoe the Pagan, on 19 September 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

I agree. I am a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. After seeing Charles Dance play Lord Havelock Vetinari in Going Postal I now hear his voice when reading him in the books. Something I did not do after watching Jeremy Irons in The Color of Magic.

If you are not familiar with Discworld novel I highly recommend them. The only two I would not recommend are Monstrous Regiment and Unseen Academicals.

Nope, never heard of them.

:shrug:

#31 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

I can only think of one movie that was better than the book, out of all the ones I personally have seen. "Soylent Green" was much better than the book it was based on, "Make Room Make Room."

The book is a snooze, there is no eating people, no Soylent Green, Soylent is a barely mentioned company that makes soy/lentil meat substitutes. The book is about overpopulation and resource depletion, it is very well written in that it describes a bleak, depressing world very well, but there is not much of a real plot, just people stumbling thru life trying to deal with the problems.

The movie makes a horrific jump to eating people then spins a murder mystery and investigation that turns up the horrible cannibalistic practice of Soylent Green, Far better.

Oh, and I made the mistake of going to see "Dune" (which sucked IMO) right after finishing the book.

#32 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

BTW, Amazon Prime Video has a couple of Terry Pratchett shows that are very good. "Good Omens" and "Hogfather" (the latter in the Diskworld). Both are quite funny with very high production values.

#33 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:15 PM

Never saw it, what's the big deal?

#34 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:21 PM

View Posterp, on 19 September 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

Very few movies are better than books. But there some. For example, Forest Gump was mentioned in this thread. Horrible book. Decent movie.

And the book that Apocalypse Now was based on, Heart of Darkness, is unreadable, IMO.

And the only movie I found that equaled the book was Silence of the Lamb. Great book. Great movie. Of course, that is just my opinion. ;)

I have mentioned this before but a good example of the movie being better than the book would be The Godfather. The movie is excellent. The book was pretty good but the doctor/Lucy Mancini subplot was absolutely stupid and brought the narrative to a halt. The book did add a few details that might have cleared a few plot holes in the movie, but 3 hours is long enough.

As for the subject, I never got The Princess Bride. I must have missed the window because people were wandering around, quoting it and giggling about it. When I finally saw it, I recognized the quotes but still don't find them particularly clever. Watchable but overrated. It had Columbo though. So there's that.

The movie is so loved and considered a cult movie, a remake will cause an uproar with the fans and I don't believe will lure new ones. Even if it is objectively better, most fans will see it just to savagely criticize it and will leave seething.

Forrest Gump was <censored> and I don't think it would have been such a hit if it wasn't during Tom Hanks' can never do wrong phase. Thankfully, that moment has passed and the people have realized that he has only had about 3 good movies.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: 19 September 2019 - 04:26 PM

#35 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

View Poststick, on 19 September 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

Never saw it, what's the big deal?

It's a fantasy rom-com that appeals to all ages. The kind of movie that you stop to watch when you're flipping channels. And the kind that boys will sit and watch with girls without rolling their eyes.

#36 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

Nope, never heard of them.

:shrug:

Oh, two big recommendations then, from me and Joe the Pagan. The first Terry Prachett novel I read was THUD!
It is in no way the first of the series, but even though I didn't "know" any of the book's characters, it held my interest. My son read them while in Iraq. (I think Oremus--who used to be here on RN got some for him and sent them to him while he was there.) Maybe not. Any way, he was the person who introduced him to me. I know Joe the Pagan read him, because he suggested this toon years ago. (Death is a reoccurring character in the Discworld books.)
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/70698217_10217119329787987_8371394101790113792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQnPTuxTGIWHWOPe14vqEqULZy-Xqa9KsqfrpUv0vxt0Fyy9ZJSpnHinPfcZm_ZA9DE&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=ccffb1f29e3e8a462d8329506080f606&oe=5E056EE2

#37 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

Where to start with Discworld--only I didn't.

#38 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:26 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

Oh I could care less...(;))...

Look, I came here for an argument!

(Monty Python reference...)

This isnít an argument, itís just contradiction!

This post has been edited by BootsieBets: 19 September 2019 - 05:27 PM

#39 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:10 PM

View Posterp, on 19 September 2019 - 04:34 AM, said:

It was an ok movie. Never understood why so many thought this movie was great.

With that said, a remake of this movie would most likely bomb. The original was not that big of a hit at the box office.

This is just another example of Hollywood being devoid of new ideas.

$30 million box office on a budget of $16 million. Not a blockbuster, but not a "bomb" either. As you say, an "OK" movie. Memorable for a couple of Iconic scenes that can be had on youtube. The "choosing to poison" scene and "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die". You can find them on Youtube. the rest is "filler".

But, I'm probably the wrong person to ask because I like the "Readers Digest" version of things. I mean, I can Readers Digest even the hour-and-a-half long Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald down to about 10 seconds for business persons in a hurry:

In my best Gordon Lightfoot voice:

The legend Lives on of a ship that went down
And lots of people died
Well, that sucks.

Yeah, okay, I stole that. Full credit to Tim Hawkins and "Shortened versions of songs for people with ADD".

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 19 September 2019 - 07:16 PM

#40 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

Not. Going. There.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users