RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 2019 celebrity death list - RightNation.US

2019 celebrity death list Rate Topic: -----

#381 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

scotsman, on 10 September 2019 - 06:35 AM, said:

Andrews was in one of the best British horror films ever: Night of the Demon (1957).

That was a good movie and more subdued than Hammer's garishness and gothic melodrama. (Don't get me wrong. I love that.) Andrews was in a few other good movies too, like Laura and The Best Years of Our Lives. However, he wasn't a likable actor nor was he an impressive screen presence.

#382 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:10 AM

I remember Night Of The Demon. Saw it first as a young kid and found it truly scary, later as an adult I watched it and still really enjoyed it. Great horror film.

#383 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:24 PM

Magic Rat, on 10 September 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

...Andrews was in a few other good movies too...

The Ox-Bow Incident.

Great movie.

:yes:

#384 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

MontyPython, on 10 September 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

The Ox-Bow Incident.

Great movie.

Not a personal favorite of mine, most consider it a classic.

#385 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:19 PM

Magic Rat, on 10 September 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

Not a personal favorite of mine, most consider it a classic.

Definitely one of my personal favorites.

#386 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:45 PM

MontyPython, on 10 September 2019 - 05:19 PM, said:

Definitely one of my personal favorites.

My favorite westerns are Shane and The Searchers. (Even though there is a little too much Festus and Hank Worden.)

#387 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

Magic Rat, on 10 September 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

My favorite westerns are Shane and The Searchers. (Even though there is a little too much Festus and Hank Worden.)

Oh man, I'd have a helluva time trying to narrow my favorite westerns down to any list shorter than, say, 20 or 30. I love old westerns. Lemme see:

The Ox-Bow incident
True Grit (the original with John Wayne, NOT the recent remake)
The Shootist
The Gunfighter
High Noon
Stagecoach (Again the original w/Wayne, none of the remakes)
The Culpepper Cattle Company
Once Upon A Time In The West
Rio Bravo/El Dorado (Basically the same Wayne movie plot)
The Wild Bunch
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Little Big Man
Winchester '73
High Plains Drifter
Cat Ballou
Angel And The Badman
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
The Long Riders
Dances With Wolves
Blazing Saddles
The Alamo (Another Wayne entry)
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Will Penny
Support Your Local Sheriff/Support You Local Gunfighter (Again, basically the same plot, only this time James Garner instead of John Wayne)
The Sons Of Katie Elder
McClintock

....Oh Sheesh, I've only scraped the surface. Can you tell I love old westerns?

:whistling:

#388 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:59 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 September 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

Oh man, I'd have a helluva time trying to narrow my favorite westerns down to any list shorter than, say, 20 or 30. I love old westerns. Lemme see:

The Ox-Bow incident
The Shootist
The Gunfighter
High Noon
The Wild Bunch
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Little Big Man
Winchester '73
High Plains Drifter
Cat Ballou
Angel And The Badman
The Long Riders
Dances With Wolves
Blazing Saddles
Will Penny
Support Your Local Sheriff/Support You Local Gunfighter (Again, basically the same plot, only this time James Garner instead of John Wayne)
The Sons Of Katie Elder
McClintock

I have seen them all and like most of them. Notable exceptions being Little Big Man because not only was it leftist bull<censored>, it was about as historically accurate as the Flintstones. It is too bad because the book by Thomas Berger is one of my favorites. Another would be Dances With Wolves, Costner's acting and narration make my teeth hurt.

But I agree on most of them. I also like Hondo and have a big spot in my heart for Wayne's later pictures like Big Jake and Cahill, US Marshall. They remind me of watching them with my grandfather. I am also a big fan of Unforgiven.

Shane and The Searchers are not just good but simply outstanding. I believe The Duke's performance in The Searchers was by far, his best performance. Shane was just a great story with wonderful scenery and incredible performances. Clint Eastwood basically remade it (Along with a dash of High Plains Drifter.) in Pale Rider.

#389 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 11 September 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

I have seen them all and like most of them. Notable exceptions being Little Big Man because not only was it leftist bull<censored>, it was about as historically accurate as the Flintstones. It is too bad because the book by Thomas Berger is one of my favorites. Another would be Dances With Wolves, Costner's acting and narration make my teeth hurt.

But I agree on most of them. I also like Hondo and have a big spot in my heart for Wayne's later pictures like Big Jake and Cahill, US Marshall. They remind me of watching them with my grandfather. I am also a big fan of Unforgiven.

Shane and The Searchers are not just good but simply outstanding. I believe The Duke's performance in The Searchers was by far, his best performance. Shane was just a great story with wonderful scenery and incredible performances. Clint Eastwood basically remade it (Along with a dash of High Plains Drifter.) in Pale Rider.

Both Big Jake & Cahill U.S. Marshall entered my mind while making my list, but I figured I'd already over-presented John Wayne. Sheesh, there are so many great John Wayne westerns I haven't mentioned yet: Chisum......Shepherd of the Hills......Rio Lobo......The Cowboys......But we'll be here all day.

Can't deny I'm a little taken aback by your visceral reaction to Little Big Man. For me, the "greatness" of any movie tends to depend upon the movie's faithful adherence to the novel it's based on, rather than the accuracy of the novel itself. Sure the movie wasn't "historically accurate" because the original Thomas Berger novel wasn't historically accurate either. We have something in common: I'm a huge fan of the original Berger novel too. Owned an original copy for years, until it was lost when my apt building burned to the ground. Read it more than once. Great movie based on a great fictional novel written by a great novelist. But mustn't be expected to be any more "historically accurate" than the book.

Sorta like I love everything Mark Twain ever wrote, and my all-time-favorite Twain book is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", possibly the best, most entertaining, most hilarious fictional novel ever written. However, one mustn't make the mistake of taking it as an "historically accurate" story! Well so it is with Little Big Man. Great book, great movie. But doesn't pretend to be "historically accurate".

Oh and I guess I should mention: Yeah, I like both Shane and The Searchers.

#390 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 September 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

Both Big Jake & Cahill U.S. Marshall entered my mind while making my list, but I figured I'd already over-presented John Wayne. Sheesh, there are so many great John Wayne westerns I haven't mentioned yet: Chisum......Shepherd of the Hills......Rio Lobo......The Cowboys......But we'll be here all day.

Can't deny I'm a little taken aback by your visceral reaction to Little Big Man. For me, the "greatness" of any movie tends to depend upon the movie's faithful adherence to the novel it's based on, rather than the accuracy of the novel itself. Sure the movie wasn't "historically accurate" because the original Thomas Berger novel wasn't historically accurate either. We have something in common: I'm a huge fan of the original Berger novel too. Owned an original copy for years, until it was lost when my apt building burned to the ground. Read it more than once. Great movie based on a great fictional novel written by a great novelist. But mustn't be expected to be any more "historically accurate" than the book.

Since I have been very young, I have had a great interest in Custer and the Battle of Little Big Horn. I have been to the battlefield 9 times and have read every book I can about it, even though much of the information is repeated. I am very interested in the era, the battle and the Plains Indians. Funny enough, I think the springboard for this interest was the movie Little Big Man. Now I don't mind a few inaccuracies in a movie or a book. I understand a narrative and story flow. I have found very few glaring errors in the book compared to the movie. After I became more educated, the errors in the movie became grating. A perfect example is the murder of Wild Bill Hickok who was shot in Deadwood a month after the battle.

I actually enjoyed the characters. I like Chief Dan George and Faye Dunaway was cute. I never cared for Hoffman and always thought of him as a scenery chewing ham but he wasn't unwatchable. But while Berger tried to be fair in his book, the movie is typical revisionist crap Hollywood has churned out since, where the Noble Red Man minds his business and the Evil White American is mean for the sake of being mean.

Custer was a lot of things: vain, brave, arrogant, tough, ambitious, selfish, capable, romantic sanctimonious and military. He was not the cartoonish righteous officer portrayed in They Died With Their Boots On, nor was he a coward that the modern media try to portray. He was not any more racist than anyone else of his era, including Indians. Most of all, he was not a clown like Mulligan portrayed him in Little Big Man.

Berger's portrayal of Custer was a complicated man of his time. Ruthless and sometimes cruel but not a racist buffoon as shown in the movie. In fact, except for a basic outline, the movie doesn't match the movie at all.

My opinion changed over time. I used to love the movie until I learned more about the battle and the history itself. Now I can't watch it. Americans treatment of the Indians was awful enough without inventing atrocities. Hollywood seems to think exaggerating this time without showing the motivations or brutality from both sides is sending an "important" message that the US is an evil, racist country with no redeeming qualities and always has been. Little Big Man is a perfect example of this.

Sorta like I love everything Mark Twain ever wrote, and my all-time-favorite Twain book is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", possibly the best, most entertaining, most hilarious fictional novel ever written. However, one mustn't make the mistake of taking it as an "historically accurate" story! Well so it is with Little Big Man. Great book, great movie. But doesn't pretend to be "historically accurate".

Mark Twain wasn't trying to send a political message to exaggerate inhumanity of the US Military in an attempt to parallel with the Vietnam war either.

Look, I don't have a beef with those who disagree with me about movies or music. It's a personal thing. Enjoy yourself.

Oh and I guess I should mention: Yeah, I like both Shane and The Searchers.

Of course. You are a man of refined and sophisticated taste.

#391 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 11 September 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

WORST Western ever made in that regard? Soldier Blue (1970). Historical Accuracy? The word 'revisionist' doesn't even begin to describe it. Leftist bull<censored> out the wazoo, as it was meant to be an allegory of the Vietnam war and especially the My Lai 'massacre' by presenting the idea that western civilization is more savage than even the so-called 'savages'.

That film just flat turn me off on the whole genre of 'Hollywood' westerns; It was a precursor to the anti-white/anti-western-civilization revisionist BS that started permeating Hollywood is the '70s and exists even to this day.

#392 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:32 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 September 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

WORST Western ever made in that regard? Soldier Blue (1970). Historical Accuracy? The word 'revisionist' doesn't even begin to describe it. Leftist bull<censored> out the wazoo, as it was meant to be an allegory of the Vietnam war and especially the My Lai 'massacre' by presenting the idea that western civilization is more savage than even the so-called 'savages'.

That film just flat turn me off on the whole genre of 'Hollywood' westerns; It was a precursor to the anti-white/anti-western-civilization revisionist BS that started permeating Hollywood is the '70s and exists even to this day.

It looks pretty lousy and awful cast too. I've never seen it but it looks like the kind of Billy Jack <censored> I like to get drunk at watch.

#393 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 September 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

I always thought the film's notorious scene showed what was supposed to be the Sand Creek Massacre.

#394 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 September 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

The Ox-Bow incident
The Shootist
The Gunfighter
High Noon
The Wild Bunch
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Little Big Man
Winchester '73
High Plains Drifter
Cat Ballou
Angel And The Badman
The Long Riders
Dances With Wolves
Blazing Saddles
Will Penny
The Sons Of Katie Elder
McClintock

Even the Brits made Westerns!. Of course, usually set in Australia or S Africa. Classics like The Hellions (1961) or Robbery Under Arms (1957).

Although Eagle's Wing (1979 with Martin Sheen, terrific film) was set in the US. And the classic The Singer and the Song with Dirk Bogarde and John Mills (1961) is set in Mexico.

https://stiglegger.w...cus-stiglegger/
https://www.spaghett...tti%22_Westerns

#395 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:07 PM

View Postscotsman, on 12 September 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

Even the Brits made Westerns!. Of course, usually set in Australia or S Africa. Classics like The Hellions (1961) or Robbery Under Arms (1957).

Although Eagle's Wing (1979 with Martin Sheen, terrific film) was set in the US. And the classic The Singer and the Song with Dirk Bogarde and John Mills (1961) is set in Mexico.

https://stiglegger.w...cus-stiglegger/
https://www.spaghett...tti%22_Westerns

Looked up "The Hellions". Read the synopsis, sounds basically like remake of "High Noon". :shrug:

Looked up "Robbery Under Arms". Sounds better than "Hellions". Might give it a try sometime, except I don't remember ever seeing it in the TV guide.

Haven't looked up the last two yet.

B)

#396 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:03 AM

Eddie Money

#397 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:07 AM

I saw Eddie Money get boo'd off the stage in Seattle.

Still, RIP Eddie.

:shrug:

#398 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

RIP Ric Ocasek
https://www.cnn.com/...eath/index.html

The Cars are still one of my favorite bands.

#399 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

I love The Cars. Great band.

RIP Ric.

:(

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic