RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Computer Stuff I Don't Understand - RightNation.US

Computer Stuff I Don't Understand Help? Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 June 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

During the "starting-up" pages there's one page that gives me a choice between just starting as usual, or "System Restore". Since I have never known what "System Restore" would do, I've always chosen to just let it start as usual. So now I have a question: If I click "System Restore" on that page, will it do something similar to what you've just described?

B)

DON'T DO IT.

More to follow...

#42 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 June 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

Oh no - HERE'S a new twist. I sure HOPE it's not because I wrecked something yesterday when I removed the side-panel and tried to remove crud:

Several times today my screen has frozen for a couple seconds, then gone completely black for a couple seconds, then reappears looking normal and working fine. After the screen reappears, a small window appears in the lower-right-hand corner. There's an "X" inside a small red circle, followed by:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered." (It says more stuff after that, but it's all tech stuff I don't understand.)

This is new. This is scary. What should I do?

(I apologize for being so clueless and pestering y'all about these things. It's just as I explained earlier: I don't want this computer to get ruined by my cluenessness or neglect. If there's some problem needing attention, I want to get right on it.)

:confused:

DO NOT DO THE SYSTEM RESTORE.

Most likely causes and fixes are...

1. Too many programs, browser windows, email messages, or game apps open simultaneously can use up memory and cause performance issues. Close those programs and windows that you are not using.

2. Update the Latest Driver for Your Graphics Hardware (PM me if we decide to do this and we can work through it on the phone).

3. Make Sure Microsoft DirectX is the Latest Version (PM me if we decide to do this and we can work through it on the phone).

4.Lastly, it could be the video card. It's possible when you were blowing dust out, that you got dust in between some of the cards electrical contacts (PM me if we decide to do this and we can work through it on the phone).

#43 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 June 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

DO NOT DO THE SYSTEM RESTORE.

Most likely causes and fixes are...

1. Too many programs, browser windows, email messages, or game apps open simultaneously can use up memory and cause performance issues. Close those programs and windows that you are not using.

2. Update the Latest Driver for Your Graphics Hardware (PM me if we decide to do this and we can work through it on the phone).

3. Make Sure Microsoft DirectX is the Latest Version (PM me if we decide to do this and we can work through it on the phone).

4.Lastly, it could be the video card. It's possible when you were blowing dust out, that you got dust in between some of the cards electrical contacts (PM me if we decide to do this and we can work through it on the phone).

My bet is on Number 4...

#44 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:49 PM

THANK YOU, Reggie. You responded in time to save me a lot of trouble. I WON'T click "System Restore".

:2up:

And watch for a PM coming your way.

B)

#45 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 June 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

THANK YOU, Reggie. You responded in time to save me a lot of trouble. I WON'T click "System Restore".

And watch for a PM coming your way.

B)

I'm a little over loaded today and won't be able to help walk you through it. But it's a minor issue and isn't affecting anything important. So give me a day to get my head above water and we'll take care of it.

#46 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 June 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

I'm a little over loaded today and won't be able to help walk you through it. But it's a minor issue and isn't affecting anything important. So give me a day to get my head above water and we'll take care of it.

PERFECT, as you'll know when you've read my PM! (Today doesn't work for me either: Lotsa stuff to do today.)

#47 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 June 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

During the "starting-up" pages there's one page that gives me a choice between just starting as usual, or "System Restore". Since I have never known what "System Restore" would do, I've always chosen to just let it start as usual. So now I have a question: If I click "System Restore" on that page, will it do something similar to what you've just described?

B)

AS others have said, don't do it. That is something completely different.

As you are able to at least get the thing to start up I am thinking your better of getting a free ware fix it/cleaning program like CC Cleaner or a host of others and run that first before going down the system restore route. That is somewhere you do not want to go unless there is absolutely no choice.

Oki

#48 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 June 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

My bet is on Number 4...

Monty's PC does not contain an integrated display card? Thinking we need to head out to the Seattle area get Monty absolutely blasted and while he is passed out on the Sofa we either fix his PC or build him a new one.

Oki

#49 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

One thing to consider is the possibility that the bios battery may be getting weak?

It can cause some of these problems in getting windows to boot and the machine starting up in the bios menu instead? This sudden problem makes me suspect it? Especially since the other problems began right after Monty had to unplug the machine?

It's usually a 2032 coin cell battery that can be bought in most stores these days.

Reggie's advice is also spot on as well.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 19 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

#50 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

Reggie - I've sent three PMs and haven't heard back yet. Have you read them yet? I'm trying to establish a good time to call you.

(It's now too late today - [Friday] - My grandson will be here any minute to spend the night. Sometime tomorrow maybe? I'll be glad to call you, or you can call me, whichever is most convenient for you. I just need to know when.)

And there's the knock on the door - My grandson is here. I'm now offline until late tonight or early tomorrow.

B)

#51 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:46 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 20 June 2019 - 02:33 PM, said:

Reggie - I've sent three PMs and haven't heard back yet. Have you read them yet? I'm trying to establish a good time to call you.

(It's now too late today - [Friday] - My grandson will be here any minute to spend the night. Sometime tomorrow maybe? I'll be glad to call you, or you can call me, whichever is most convenient for you. I just need to know when.)

And there's the knock on the door - My grandson is here. I'm now offline until late tonight or early tomorrow.

B)

Sorry. I've still been swamped today and haven't been able to get to it...

#52 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:54 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 20 June 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

Sorry. I've still been swamped today and haven't been able to get to it...

That's OK. Turns out I was wrong about the door knock. Wasn't my grandson, it was a neighbor wondering if I had a couple spare flashlight batteries. So I'm still online for a few minutes. But it's still too late to start any potentially-lengthy process today, because my grandson will be here soon.

So maybe tomorrow? Maybe Saturday? Go ahead and give me a call whenever it's convenient for you. I added my phone # in one of the PMs just in case you didn't still have it.

:wave:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users