RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 106-Year-Old Antarctic Fruitcake Found, Might Be Edible - RightNation.US

106-Year-Old Antarctic Fruitcake Found, Might Be Edible Newly discovered artifact of South Pole expedition in 'excellent c Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

106-Year-Old Antarctic Fruitcake Found, Might Be Edible

Newly discovered artifact of South Pole expedition in 'excellent condition'

SFGATE
By Mike Moffitt
Updated 12:43 pm, Friday, August 11, 2017

Excerpt:

Move over, Twinkies. You've been bested in the "food that refuses to decompose" department, and the contest wasn't even close.

Conservators with the New Zealand-based Antarctic Heritage Trust recently discovered a 106-year-old fruitcake in Antarctica's oldest building, a hut on Cape Adare.

A fruitcake is a dense, brick-like confection spiked with lumps of dried fruit and nuts that is traditionally regifted at Christmas. It is known for its long shelf life, although usually not 100 years long.

The Antarctic dessert was found wrapped in paper in a decrepit tin. But despite its rotting container, the cake was said to be in "excellent condition."

"There was a very, very slight rancid butter smell to it, but other than that, the cake looked and smelled edible," trust program manager Lizzie Meeks said.

Conservators believe British explorer Capt. Robert Falcon Scott probably brought the cake, made by the British biscuit company Huntley & Palmers, to Antarctica during their ill-fated 1910-1913 Terra Nova expedition.

*snip*

Full Story

I'm just waiting for all the fruitcake jokes. . . Frankly, I love the stuff, especially the ones I make, soaked for a few months in brandy.

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

View PostLiz, on 12 August 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

I'm just waiting for all the fruitcake jokes. . . Frankly, I love the stuff, especially the ones I make, soaked for a few months in brandy.

No jokes from me! I love the stuff too. Especially the ones my Mom makes.

Nom Nom Nom

:yes:

#3 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

View PostLiz, on 12 August 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Newly discovered artifact of South Pole expedition in 'excellent condition'

SFGATE
By Mike Moffitt
Updated 12:43 pm, Friday, August 11, 2017

Excerpt:

Move over, Twinkies. You've been bested in the "food that refuses to decompose" department, and the contest wasn't even close.

Conservators with the New Zealand-based Antarctic Heritage Trust recently discovered a 106-year-old fruitcake in Antarctica's oldest building, a hut on Cape Adare.

A fruitcake is a dense, brick-like confection spiked with lumps of dried fruit and nuts that is traditionally regifted at Christmas. It is known for its long shelf life, although usually not 100 years long.

The Antarctic dessert was found wrapped in paper in a decrepit tin. But despite its rotting container, the cake was said to be in "excellent condition."

"There was a very, very slight rancid butter smell to it, but other than that, the cake looked and smelled edible," trust program manager Lizzie Meeks said.

Conservators believe British explorer Capt. Robert Falcon Scott probably brought the cake, made by the British biscuit company Huntley & Palmers, to Antarctica during their ill-fated 1910-1913 Terra Nova expedition.

*snip*

Full Story

German equivalent is "Stollen". Per wikipedia:

Stollen (German pronunciation: [ˈʃtɔlən̩] (About this sound listen) or [ˈʃtɔln̩] (About this sound listen)) is a fruit bread containing dried fruit and often covered with powdered sugar or icing sugar. The bread is usually made with chopped candied fruit and/or dried fruit, nuts and spices. Stollen is a traditional German bread usually eaten during the Christmas season,

If one is given a schtollen in the season as a gift, one accepts it graciously in the spirit of the season... and then prays that it gets stolen before it has to be eaten.

Want to get my attention during the season? Springerle, Basic shortbread cookie but strongly of Anise (Oops! i accidentally dumped that bottle of ouzo into your shortbread.). Or lebkuchen, which is gingerbread taken to the next level.

There's another one my Grandmother (Oma) (RIP) used to do: diced citron and various diced jellied fruits in a batter. Flatten it, then roll it like a log. Slice it then bake the slices. Then either eat it 'as is' or "play with it' by unrolling it and eating it piece by piece.

I can't for the life of me remember what that was called.

#4 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 August 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

German equivalent is "Stollen". . .

I'm familiar with stollen, having eaten it since I was tiny. We had a German bakery near where we lived in Brooklyn when I was growing up and my British mother fell in love with stollen. It seemed that we always had some in the house while she never gained an ounce.

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 12 August 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

German equivalent is "Stollen". Per wikipedia:

Stollen (German pronunciation: [ˈʃtɔlən̩] (About this sound listen) or [ˈʃtɔln̩] (About this sound listen)) is a fruit bread containing dried fruit and often covered with powdered sugar or icing sugar. The bread is usually made with chopped candied fruit and/or dried fruit, nuts and spices. Stollen is a traditional German bread usually eaten during the Christmas season,

If one is given a schtollen in the season as a gift, one accepts it graciously in the spirit of the season... and then prays that it gets stolen before it has to be eaten.

Schtollen is something I've seen and eaten, but it's not even remotely similar to my family's homemade fruitcake. Schtollen is kinda dry and "tangy" and pretty much "bread-like":

https://gaaarp.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/stollen-crumb.jpg

Whereas fruitcake is more moist and sweet and gooey and "cake-like":

https://whatscookingamerica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Fruitcake39.jpg

I've really never cared for schtollen, but I can't get enough fruitcake!

:)

#6 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

You eat it then.

#7 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 12 August 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

Schtollen is something I've seen and eaten, but it's not even remotely similar to my family's homemade fruitcake. Schtollen is kinda dry and "tangy" and pretty much "bread-like":

https://gaaarp.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/stollen-crumb.jpg

Whereas fruitcake is more moist and sweet and gooey and "cake-like":

https://whatscookingamerica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Fruitcake39.jpg

I've really never cared for schtollen, but I can't get enough fruitcake!

:)

I agree that fruitcake is much more dense and moist than stollen. They do have candied fruit and nuts in common but they are different animals.

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostLiz, on 12 August 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

I agree that fruitcake is much more dense and moist than stollen. They do have candied fruit and nuts in common but they are different animals.

Exactly.

And I'll give away a family secret here: My sister loves it too, but NOT the candied fruit or nuts. She just likes the cake part. So when she makes it, it's cake-part only, with no candied fruits or nuts in it at all. And truth be told, I'm beginning to prefer it that way myself.

:coolshades:

#9 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:42 PM

I love all of it but I haven't made it in a few years because it's just too much of a temptation. My husband loves it too but then he accuses me of trying to fatten hm up. :P

#10 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Got Wiener?
  • Group: Silver

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

Collin Street Bakery, Corsicana, Texas

For fruit cake lovers, it's the bomb. They ship worldwide.

#11 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:16 AM

View PostNoclevermoniker, on 13 August 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

Collin Street Bakery, Corsicana, Texas

For fruit cake lovers, it's the bomb. They ship worldwide.

I don't doubt it's great and I'm sure that a fruitcake lover would appreciate the tip, but as I said, I don't need the temptation. Besides, if I were to succumb, I really like taking the time to make a proper fruitcake. It's a labor of love.

#12 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

I make fruitcake sometimes using Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake recipe. It's marvelous, none of that candied dense chewy "fruit" but regular dried fruit, macerated for 24+ hours in rum then the cake sprayed over a few days with brandy, and with pecans and about a stick and a half of butter. Stuff is just delicious, but calorie laden. I figured it out, it's over 400 calories a linear inch, a one inch thick whole width slice has something like 410 calories!

And it's easy to eat multiple slices, especially toasted and with cream cheese spread on it.

We also make a kind of fruit bread every year, Saturnalia cake, bread with fruit, nuts, anise, etc. Makes great toast.

#13 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostLiz, on 12 August 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

Stollen is the German equivalent of fruitcake more in the cultural sense than the culinary sense. Candied fruit and nuts in common AND everybody gets on at Christmas whether you want one or not AND you either love them or hate them.

#14 User is online   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 12 August 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

You eat it then.

Fruitcake - very dangerous.

You go first. . .

This post has been edited by mjperry51: 13 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

#15 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostSeverian, on 13 August 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

I make fruitcake sometimes using Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake recipe. It's marvelous, none of that candied dense chewy "fruit" but regular dried fruit, macerated for 24+ hours in rum then the cake sprayed over a few days with brandy, and with pecans and about a stick and a half of butter. Stuff is just delicious, but calorie laden. I figured it out, it's over 400 calories a linear inch, a one inch thick whole width slice has something like 410 calories!

And it's easy to eat multiple slices, especially toasted and with cream cheese spread on it.

We also make a kind of fruit bread every year, Saturnalia cake, bread with fruit, nuts, anise, etc. Makes great toast.

That makes me think of my favorite fruitcake recipe. I came across it in the early '00s, I don't recall where, and then I've seen variations here and there on the internet:

FRUIT CAKE RECIPE - Guaranteed to put you in the holiday spirit.

You'll need the following: four large eggs, two cups of dried fruit, a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of salt, a cup of brown sugar, lemon juice, nuts, and a bottle or two of rum.

Before you start, sample the rum to check for quality. If it's good, let's get started.

Take a large bowl, and a measuring cup. Check the rum again. To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer; beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one seapoon of thugar, and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure the rum has retained it's fine quality. Cry another tup. Open a second quart if necessary.

Turn off the mixer. Break two arge leggs, and add to the bowl, and chuck in the cup of fried druit. Mix on the turner, and beat till high. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of pepper or salt. Or something. Who cares? Check the rum. Now sift the lemon juice, and strain the nuts. Fold in some chopped butter. Add one table. Spoon. Of brown thugar or whatever color you can find.

Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 gredees. Don't for get to beat off the turner. Now pour the whole mess into the coven and ake. Feed to your goat. Check the rum again, and bo to ged.

#16 User is offline   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

I am reminded of the scene in one of Terry Prachett's disc world novels where a piece of dwarf bread hundreds of years old is discovered. Experts agree it was as fresh as the day it was baked. Which tells you all you need to know about dwarf bread.

#17 User is offline   Oathtaker 

• <no title>

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostSeverian, on 13 August 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Sounds similar to my family's recipe but we use Black Walnuts instead of Pecans. Also instead of spraying the loaf with Brandy we wrap it in a sack cloth towel soaked in Cointreau then plastic wrap. Resoak the towel as needed.

Legend has it my Maternal Grandfather loved fruitcake that was mostly fruit, one year he made one with so much fruit he had to slice it on his table saw.

The Saturnalia Bread sounds interesting, I think I'll find a recipe and try it this year.

#18 User is offline   Oathtaker 

• <no title>

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

View Postmjperry51, on 13 August 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

Fruitcake - very dangerous.

You go first. . .

Fruitcake...why did it have to be Fruitcake

#19 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 13 August 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

That makes me think of my favorite fruitcake recipe. I came across it in the early '00s, I don't recall where, and then I've seen variations here and there on the internet:

FRUIT CAKE RECIPE - Guaranteed to put you in the holiday spirit.

You'll need the following: four large eggs, two cups of dried fruit, a teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of salt, a cup of brown sugar, lemon juice, nuts, and a bottle or two of rum.

Before you start, sample the rum to check for quality. If it's good, let's get started.

Take a large bowl, and a measuring cup. Check the rum again. To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer; beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one seapoon of thugar, and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure the rum has retained it's fine quality. Cry another tup. Open a second quart if necessary.

Turn off the mixer. Break two arge leggs, and add to the bowl, and chuck in the cup of fried druit. Mix on the turner, and beat till high. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of pepper or salt. Or something. Who cares? Check the rum. Now sift the lemon juice, and strain the nuts. Fold in some chopped butter. Add one table. Spoon. Of brown thugar or whatever color you can find.

Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 gredees. Don't for get to beat off the turner. Now pour the whole mess into the coven and ake. Feed to your goat. Check the rum again, and bo to ged.

LOL

I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

:drinkers:

#20 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

View PostOathtaker, on 13 August 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

Sounds similar to my family's recipe but we use Black Walnuts instead of Pecans. Also instead of spraying the loaf with Brandy we wrap it in a sack cloth towel soaked in Cointreau then plastic wrap. Resoak the towel as needed.

Legend has it my Maternal Grandfather loved fruitcake that was mostly fruit, one year he made one with so much fruit he had to slice it on his table saw.

The Saturnalia Bread sounds interesting, I think I'll find a recipe and try it this year.

I always try and make Saturnalia cake every year to celebrate Saturnalia properly, or as properly as you can these days. Week before Xmas Day, Roman festival to celebrate Saturn, lasted a week despite Roman emperors trying to knock it down to only a couple of days, the Roman people were not going to be denied their celebration week. Seems everyone has a recipe for a winter solstice kind of bread/cake with fruit and nuts doesn't it?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users