RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: A Portland State University Professor Made Up a Study of Dog-on-Dog Se - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Portland State University Professor Made Up a Study of Dog-on-Dog Se Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:34 PM

A Portland State University Professor Made Up a Study of Dog-on-Dog Sexual Assault—and Got the Hoax Published
Peter Boghossian and his colleagues launched the satirical broadside at feminist theory and race-studies scholarship.

By Aaron Mesh |
Published October 9 at 8:06 PM

Peter Boghossian makes daily visits to Southeast Portland dog parks with his pooches, Teddy and Savannah. But he says he's never checked out the genitalia of the other dogs there.

Yet that was the outlandish claim Boghossian and two co-conspirators, Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay, made in a research paper submitted this year to a feminist geography journal, Gender, Place and Culture. The journal accepted and published the paper, which claimed, among other things, to have tallied the rate at which Portlanders intervened in more than a thousand dog-on-dog sexual assaults.

The paper was a hoax. So were 20 other papers submitted to academic journals in the past year—seven of them accepted. Last week, Boghossian and his cohorts revealed their elaborate prank, after The Wall Street Journal raised questions about the dog-park paper.

Boghossian is already a contentious figure at Portland State University, where he teaches philosophy of education. A leading figure among "freethinkers" who chafe at what they see as a politically correct orthodoxy stifling dissent on college campuses, Boghossian has been the subject of protests and Title IX complaints. (He says they were unfounded; PSU declined to discuss him or his hoax.)

But the hoax papers have made Boghossian a national water-cooler subject. And he wasn't doing it just to be funny: He and his colleagues launched the satirical broadside at feminist theory and race-studies scholarship in order to prove those fields are academically fraudulent.

[snip]

WW: Here's the obvious question: How did anybody buy this?
Peter Boghossian: Well, we told them what they wanted to hear. We played off what was morally fashionable. We think they have become so steeped in these echo chambers. Thoughtful religious believers really, really know the other side of the arguments. That's the ballgame. Their ballgame [in these academic fields] is to not know those things.

James Lindsay: It's racist and sexist to know those things. If you can predict what they want to hear, you can then exaggerate that, feed it into their system, and let them reduce themselves to absurdity by getting them to accept that exaggerated caricature view as if it's their own.
The journals you targeted are obscure disciplines. Isn't this hoax like using a Howitzer on an anthill?

Lindsay: These people have massive institutional power. Why are there bias response teams? Why are there diversity and inclusion boards that can put people through trials that can end their careers, merely on accusations, without having to go through an actual trial? These are small academic disciplines, but they've worked their way into the institution.

Yeah, for college kids. What about the real world?
Boghossian: How many of your readers are familiar with trigger warnings, safe spaces and micro-aggressions? These things seep outside into the broader world. They start in the literature, they're taught to kids in school, those kids get out, become leaders in the community. About 30 percent of Americans have college degrees; they incorporate those ideas into the workplace.

Lindsay: The New York Times ran an article saying white women are teaming up to preserve white power. That's in The New York Times? That's not some fringe thing. Everybody gets called a racist for everything. You have people calling tacos racist—Taco Tuesday.

[snip]

https://www.wweek.co...hoax-published/

#2 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:35 PM

Boghossian is already a contentious figure at Portland State University, where he teaches philosophy of education. A leading figure among "freethinkers" who chafe at what they see as a politically correct orthodoxy stifling dissent on college campuses, Boghossian has been the subject of protests and Title IX complaints. (He says they were unfounded; PSU declined to discuss him or his hoax.)

But the hoax papers have made Boghossian a national water-cooler subject. And he wasn't doing it just to be funny: He and his colleagues launched the satirical broadside at feminist theory and race-studies scholarship in order to prove those fields are academically fraudulent.

That sounds a lot like left-speak for justifying indoctrination tactics in the classroom at every level.

#3 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:53 PM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 10 October 2018 - 04:35 PM, said:

That sounds a lot like left-speak for justifying indoctrination tactics in the classroom at every level.

No it's not. Boghossian is one of the "good guys"; I know him personally from my time in Portland where both I and Mrs Smithee occasionally lectured at PSU.

#4 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 10 October 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

No it's not. Boghossian is one of the "good guys"; I know him personally from my time in Portland where both I and Mrs Smithee occasionally lectured at PSU.

Philosophy of education.

What, exactly, is that? And knowing you, I don't need to ask for specifics.

#5 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 10 October 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

Philosophy of education.

What, exactly, is that? And knowing you, I don't need to ask for specifics.

I'd prefer to call it, "Methodology of Education".

When I worked for the German Multinational and at the same time taught (on their behalf) college-level courses, and did guest-lectures at places like PSU, I had to get "certificated" in "Adult Education". (And, jeez, I want to wallop the person who coined the term "certificated" rather that "certified".)

Long story short: Teaching pre-schoolers is DIFFERENT than teaching Grade school which is DIFFERENT than teaching HS which is DIFFERENT than teaching College which is DIFFERENT than than teaching "returning adults". There is a philosophical difference. (philosophy is what you know but can't quite scientifically define WHY you know it. THIS is self-evident: If you COULD define it, then it would be science rather than philosophy)

I'll absent myself from the question of whether pure "Education" is Science or Philosophy or Art; That's a whole OTHER discussion.

Me? I'm good at talking to engineering-minded adults. Put me in front of a class of 3rd-graders and I'd fall on my face. Yet, Others are GREAT at doing what I don't even begin to have a handle on.

IMHO? We are (or should be) past the days of "Germanic" "Education". Rote learning. Memorization. Which = remembering the facts that THEY deem relevant. I'd rather teach someone how to THINK rather than REMEMBER.

#6 User is online   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 10 October 2018 - 04:35 PM, said:

Did you bother to read and try to comprehend the article?

This post has been edited by SARGE: 10 October 2018 - 06:53 PM

#7 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:27 AM

There is confirmation bias. This is bias confirmation.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users