RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 'Inconceivable!' Fans Outraged as Hollywood Considers ' - RightNation.US

'Inconceivable!' Fans Outraged as Hollywood Considers ' Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:30 AM

'Inconceivable!' Fans Outraged as Hollywood Considers 'Princess Bride' Remake

TYLER O'NEIL
PJ Media
9/18/19

EXCERPT:

Fans are outraged after Variety reported that Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Tony Vinciquerra said, "Very famous people whose names I won't use, but they want to redo 'The Princess Bride.'"

The Princess Bride is a cult classic par excellence. The movie's unforgettable lines of dialogue have launched a thousand memes. It combines the elements of romance, sword fights, vendettas, and humor (and yes, more than a little corniness) to create a masterpiece — one many fans would say is perfect.

In fact, Cary Elwes, the actor who played Westley (and the Dread Pirate Roberts), had the perfect response to the remake news.

"There’s a shortage of perfect movies in this world. It would be a pity to damage this one," Elwes tweeted.

(Full Story)

#2 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:34 AM

It was an ok movie. Never understood why so many thought this movie was great.

With that said, a remake of this movie would most likely bomb. The original was not that big of a hit at the box office.

This is just another example of Hollywood being devoid of new ideas.

#3 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!
  • Group: Gold

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

http://i.postimg.cc/zXC0KrNm/inconceivable.jpg

#4 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

View Posterp, on 19 September 2019 - 04:34 AM, said:

I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

With that said, a remake of this movie would most likely bomb. The original was not that big of a hit at the box office.

"Most likely" is the understatement of the year.

:exactly:

#5 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."

#6 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies. (But I'm okay if you didn't like it, erp. My husband could never understand why I didn't care much for Top Gun.)

I would not go see a remake. The original movie was perfectly cast.

Even my total disgust of Rob Reiner, the director, can't make me dislike it. And that's saying something.

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 19 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

#7 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:58 AM

One of the best films ever made. Period.

Remake? Nononononononononononononono

View PostBootsieBets, on 19 September 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

:D

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 19 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

#8 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 19 September 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

"Most likely" is the understatement of the year.

:exactly:

I take it that first sentence is a line from the movie?

And I say “most likely” because it seems people will go see just about anything.

If this movie was made, it would do way better than the original at the box office. But the production cost would far outpace the box office.

They’d probably pour around $60 to $100 million in it for production, and another $30 to $50 million for marketing.

My guess is that it would do around $60 to $90 million today. The original did $36 or $39 million at the box office on a production budget of $16 million.

Just look at the recent Dumbo as an example. I think it did around $120 million at the box office on a budget close to $200 million. Total bomb from a profitability stand point.

Sorry for my wonkiness. I used to love following this <censored> back in the day. ;)

View PostBootsieBets, on 19 September 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

Another line from the movie, I take it?

Only saw it was. Not memorable for me.

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 19 September 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies. (But I'm okay if you didn't like it, erp. My husband could never understand why I didn't care much for Top Gun.)

I would not go see a remake. The original movie was perfectly cast.

Even my total disgust of Rob Reiner, the director, can't make me dislike it. And that's saying something.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t like Top gun either. 😉

#9 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

The original movie is a great, fun romp. The book, however, is far, far funnier and well worth reading if you haven't.

But, Hollyweird is nothing if not boringly uncreative. Think of all the remakes and how awful they were, I'm thinking of "Total Recall" and "Robocop" in particular, the originals stood towering above the remakes. The only remake I can recall actually thinking was better than the original was "Dredd" which was a remake of "Judge Dredd." Instead of a comedy action thing, it was a very dark, gritty version that I preferred. And Karl Urban, takes a certain kind of actor to sign on to a movie where for the entire film you never see his face, just from the tip of his nose on down.

#10 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

View Posterp, on 19 September 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

I take it that first sentence is a line from the movie?

And I say “most likely” because it seems people will go see just about anything.

If this movie was made, it would do way better than the original at the box office. But the production cost would far outpace the box office.

They’d probably pour around $60 to $100 million in it for production, and another $30 to $50 million for marketing.

My guess is that it would do around $60 to $90 million today. The original did $36 or $39 million at the box office on a production budget of $16 million.

Just look at the recent Dumbo as an example. I think it did around $120 million at the box office on a budget close to $200 million. Total bomb from a profitability stand point.

Sorry for my wonkiness. I used to love following this <censored> back in the day. ;)

Another line from the movie, I take it?

Only saw it was. Not memorable for me.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t like Top gun either. 😉

It’s a good thing we all have different taste or they would only have to make one movie, record one record, write one book – well, you get the idea. I don’t get Forrest Gump (except for the part with Gary Sinise, love him) and never understood why The Graduate was so popular. Not everybody likes the same thing and you can’t explain to someone who doesn’t like a movie or book or rock group why you are drawn to it.

And there is no way a remake would be anywhere near as good, partly because of the PC sanitization that would take place.

#11 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

View PostSeverian, on 19 September 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

The original movie is a great, fun romp. The book, however, is far, far funnier and well worth reading if you haven't.

But, Hollyweird is nothing if not boringly uncreative. Think of all the remakes and how awful they were, I'm thinking of "Total Recall" and "Robocop" in particular, the originals stood towering above the remakes. The only remake I can recall actually thinking was better than the original was "Dredd" which was a remake of "Judge Dredd." Instead of a comedy action thing, it was a very dark, gritty version that I preferred. And Karl Urban, takes a certain kind of actor to sign on to a movie where for the entire film you never see his face, just from the tip of his nose on down.

Dredd is a great example of Hollywood just not getting it.

The original was a flop. Costs $90 million to make, not including marketing, and only did $38 million in the states and $113 million worldwide. With marketing costs added, it was a financial flop.

Dredd cost $50 million to make, not including marketing, and only managed to eek out a little over $35 million worldwide. Heck, it only did $13.4 million in the states. A complete flop.

There was zero reason to remake that movie in any way shape or form.

#12 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

View PostBootsieBets, on 19 September 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

It’s a good thing we all have different taste or they would only have to make one movie, record one record, write one book – well, you get the idea. I don’t get Forrest Gump (except for the part with Gary Sinise, love him) and never understood why The Graduate was so popular. Not everybody likes the same thing and you can’t explain to someone who doesn’t like a movie or book or rock group why you are drawn to it.

And there is no way a remake would be anywhere near as good, partly because of the PC sanitization that would take place.

Very true. My taste run a bit dark. So I get why movies I like are not for everyone.

I’m a Tarantino fan. Love Pulp Fiction, and his new one, Once upon a time in Hollywood.

And music taste run even darker.

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

Anyone who's been around here for any length of time is familiar with the fact that I know almost nothing about any movies (or TV or music or whatever) newer than the mid-70's. But I must always include "almost" in that statement since there are a few exceptions. And Princess Bride (1987) is one of those exceptions. GREAT movie. One of my all-time favorites. Perfect as is; No remake could ever be as good.

Oh, and I agree 100% with Severian (post #9): The book is even better! Found a used copy real cheap in a thrift store years ago, and have read it a couple times. Even better than the movie. Of course, that's true of most books vs movies: The books are almost always better.

:yes:

#14 User is offline   Novaprime 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

Oh, and I agree 100% with Severian (post #9): The book is even better! Found a used copy real cheap in a thrift store years ago, and have read it a couple times. Even better than the movie. Of course, that's true of most books vs movies: The books are almost always better.

I agree with books being better than movies, most of it comes down to time. Authors can put lots of words into describing a scene but putting that description into a visual format doesn't always work out the same way. Plus directors and producers tend to put THEIR spin on the book and, at times, causing it to veer completely away from the books theme and causing continuity issues. Everyone wants to put 'their' spin on it, instead of being true to the project. Sometimes it does work out but, in my opinion, it doesn't work out most of the time.

#15 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

Anyone who's been around here for any length of time is familiar with the fact that I know almost nothing about any movies (or TV or music or whatever) newer than the mid-70's. But I must always include "almost" in that statement since there are a few exceptions. And Princess Bride (1987) is one of those exceptions. GREAT movie. One of my all-time favorites. Perfect as is; No remake could ever be as good.

:yes: :thumbsup:

#16 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:14 PM

View PostNovaprime, on 19 September 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

I agree with books being better than movies, most of it comes down to time. Authors can put lots of words into describing a scene but putting that description into a visual format doesn't always work out the same way. Plus directors and producers tend to put THEIR spin on the book and, at times, causing it to veer completely away from the books theme and causing continuity issues. Everyone wants to put 'their' spin on it, instead of being true to the project. Sometimes it does work out but, in my opinion, it doesn't work out most of the time.

One other thing about books versus movies – you create your own movie in your head when you read a book and that can’t be recreated on film. Everyone has their own interpretation of a how a character looks or how a scene plays out and no one else will have quite the same interpretation. I think the only time I heard of a character from a book being brought to the screen when (almost) everyone agreed with the actor who played him was Clark Gable being cast as Rhett Butler. I read "The Shipping News" and liked it, although it was a quirky book. When they made the movie the last two actors I would have cast as the leads were Kevin Spacey and Julianne Moore! But sometimes you just have to enjoy a movie for the sake of the movie. And I love "The Princess Bride" but haven't had a chance to read the book, so there you go.

#17 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:16 PM

View PostNovaprime, on 19 September 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

Exactly. Trying to fit every detail of a full-length novel into a 2 or 3 hour format just can't be done. Any movie including everything from a full-length novel will wind up being about 30 hours long!

And you're also right about producer's/director's spin being deliberately injected.

View PostBootsieBets, on 19 September 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

:yes: :thumbsup:

:woohoo:

#18 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 19 September 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

One other thing about books versus movies – you create your own movie in your head when you read a book and that can’t be recreated on film. Everyone has their own interpretation of a how a character looks or how a scene plays out and no one else will have quite the same interpretation. I think the only time I heard of a character from a book being brought to the screen when (almost) everyone agreed with the actor who played him was Clark Gable being cast as Rhett Butler. I read "The Shipping News" and liked it, although it was a quirky book. When they made the movie the last two actors I would have cast as the leads were Kevin Spacey and Julianne Moore! But sometimes you just have to enjoy a movie for the sake of the movie. And I love "The Princess Bride" but haven't had a chance to read the book, so there you go.

Once again, EXACTLY.

Yup, when you read a book your mind automatically pictures what a character looks like, what his/her voice sounds like, etc. Then when you see the movie allegedly based on the book, the casting is often a severe disappointment. Not always, but often.

B)

#19 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 September 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

Any movie including everything from a full-length novel will wind up being about 30 hours long!

Inconceivable!

#20 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 19 September 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

Inconceivable!

:doh:

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »