RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Mindcleaner Fat Club Season 3 - RightNation.US

-----
Holy cow (no offense)! It's been ten years since our last attempt to get healthy. What's wrong with you people? Me? I've got reasons, not excuses. I've also go excuses. I think the main problem was my commute. We were hitting it pretty hard when we bought a house fifty miles from where we used to live and work. The commute plus football pretty much turned me into a creature craving comfort, and comfort meant tasty high carb food and beer. My physical ailments are pretty much the same as they've been for the last seventeen years or so.

Why now all of a sudden? Well, besides all the usual motivations like wanting to live longer and feel better, seeing grand kids some day, and minimizing the taunts of "fatty fatty fat fat!", I realized this season how much I love to coach football. And I won't be able to do it much longer if I don't get healthy. Sure, there's lots of fat turds stalking the sidelines, but they're not me. I don't feel as effective as a coach without being able to physically demonstrate the techniques I want to teach. So there's that.

We took a shot at it last year when I signed the whole family up for gym memberships, and we went pretty steady for about three months. Then it was just me for about two months. Then I got handed an opportunity to teach summer school, which I can NEVER turn down seeing as how the money is superbly magnificent. That coincided with the beginning of summer program for football, and my stupid brain rationalized that I'd be able to lift and get cardio during practice. But football reasons intervened, and the summer heat just saps everything I've got even if I'm not exactly running and lifting. So, I "postponed" the plan, which was to get into shape and then start eating right.

Well, the summer school money afforded us an opportunity we couldn't pass up, so we took a month long trip back east to see family. I don't regret it for a minute because we got to see my ninety year old grandmother just a few days before she passed away.

So, here we are in 2017. Again, ten years! after the first two attempts at a group fat loss. I've been going through the old posts (just search "Mindcleaner" in the search thingy and scroll down to the 2006-2007 posts and you'll find them) and found it very interesting. The things I didn't do came screaming off the pages. For one, I didn't keep a food log. I can't believe I even attempted weight loss without doing that, but who knows? Maybe I was so arrogant because you all constantly praised everything I wrote and did. Your fault. And the other thing was I didn't really cut out the beer. I still imbibed on the weekends. I still lost thirteen pounds the first month, but it got much harder after that.

My starting weight back in 2006 was 250 lbs and I eventually got down to 219. My goal was 180. On the second attempt, I started at 239 and got down to 222 with a goal of 190. That's when we moved.

This time around, I'm starting at 265 with a goal of 190 by June 1, 2018.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/510/31967942511_5743af3f5a_k.jpg1.2.17 weight

No videos or fat me pics this time. I got some, er...compliments last time from unwanted parties. But I will post pics of my weigh ins. Above was from yesterday. I'll weigh in again on the 16th, hoping to drop somewhere between 2-5 lbs.

Diet is low carb, moderately high protein. According to MyFitnesspal.com, which I recommend using, I'm supposed to eat about 1830 calories. I'll try to keep the carbs under 50 grams and the protein up to about 100-150. I'm not worried about fat or any of that other stuff.

For exercise, it's escalator stairs for cardio and basic power lifting (bench, squat, clean, and dead lift). Right now, I'm trying to hit the gym four times a week, but I hope to get it up to six, especially during summer. I took the next season off coaching, so I'm hoping there will be no major distractions.

Ya'll come on aboard and join me. I know your support was tremendous last time around, and some of you made amazing progress. See you in two weeks!

My Mind is Clean

12 Comments On This Entry

Similar here.

For 30 to 40 years of my life, never had to worry about it. Skinny as a rail. It started late '30s. "six pack" abs somehow became a kegger. Mid 50's, serious case of "dunlap disease" - my belly dun lapped over my belt.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. For health reasons I gotta do better.

I'm on board.

Adam Smithee, on 03 January 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Similar here. For 30 to 40 years of my life, never had to worry about it. Skinny as a rail. It started late '30s. "six pack" abs somehow became a kegger. Mid 50's, serious case of "dunlap disease" - my belly dun lapped over my belt. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. For health reasons I gotta do better.I'm on board.

Alright, then. So, what are your goals and how are you going to get there?
I'm with ya. I weighed around 330 at start of Christmas vacation. Now am 325. Back when I lived in Galveston, about 19 years ago, I went from 300 to 202 using the Protein Power plan. Only took 6 months. I walked on the sea wall a lot, too. Now I sit in a cube 9-10 hours a day. I'm doing the ketogenic thing, similar to protein power but less protein. Switching to Bud Select. Goal is 200 by July 1. My old-timey bike arrives Thursday. Got my wife to stop putting rice or potatoes on my plate. Especially avoiding bread and any kind of chips. Found lots of great keto recipes that simulate the real thing with close to zero carbs. I'm 61, so I just HAVE to succeed! Plus my MD is riding me something fierce and I just hate to let her down.
I love My Fitness Pal. I lost 45 pounds using it, watching both carbs and calories. I don't keep a journal any longer, but I still use their data base of food almost every day to check carbs and calories. Their data base is extensive! My favorite exercise is walking and so my weight bounces around some in the winter. I am not fond of walking on ice and snow. At my age I don't really think I want any broken bones. But my dog and I walk all over my small town three seasons of the year, keeping track of how far I've gone with Map My Walk

Mr. Naron, on 03 January 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Similar here. For 30 to 40 years of my life, never had to worry about it. Skinny as a rail. It started late '30s. "six pack" abs somehow became a kegger. Mid 50's, serious case of "dunlap disease" - my belly dun lapped over my belt. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. For health reasons I gotta do better.I'm on board.

Goal is to lose a minimum of 2 Lb per month. Improve the diet, increase the workout. A modest goal but workable.

east dallasite, on 03 January 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

I'm with ya. I weighed around 330 at start of Christmas vacation. Now am 325. Back when I lived in Galveston, about 19 years ago, I went from 300 to 202 using the Protein Power plan. Only took 6 months. I walked on the sea wall a lot, too. Now I sit in a cube 9-10 hours a day. I'm doing the ketogenic thing, similar to protein power but less protein. Switching to Bud Select. Goal is 200 by July 1. My old-timey bike arrives Thursday. Got my wife to stop putting rice or potatoes on my plate. Especially avoiding bread and any kind of chips. Found lots of great keto recipes that simulate the real thing with close to zero carbs. I'm 61, so I just HAVE to succeed! Plus my MD is riding me something fierce and I just hate to let her down.

Looks like you're ahead of the game. Keep checking in and sharing what works.

USNRETWIFE, on 03 January 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

I love My Fitness Pal. I lost 45 pounds using it, watching both carbs and calories. I don't keep a journal any longer, but I still use their data base of food almost every day to check carbs and calories. Their data base is extensive! My favorite exercise is walking and so my weight bounces around some in the winter. I am not fond of walking on ice and snow. At my age I don't really think I want any broken bones. But my dog and I walk all over my small town three seasons of the year, keeping track of how far I've gone with Map My Walk

Were you part of the effort ten years ago?

Adam Smithee, on 03 January 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

Mr. Naron, on 03 January 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Goal is to lose a minimum of 2 Lb per month. Improve the diet, increase the workout. A modest goal but workable.

I thought so, too, until My Fitness Jerk Pal told me it was too aggressive. I overrode it anyway, but yeesh what a pushy robot.

Mr. Naron, on 03 January 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

No, I didn't get smart enough to try until about 5 or 6 years ago.

USNRETWIFE, on 04 January 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

And you've kept it off all this time? That's awesome.

Mr. Naron, on 04 January 2017 - 02:12 AM, said:

Most of it. I have had a little creep back but I try. Like I said, I walk 3 seasons of the year and try to move more in the winter. And I still use My Fitness Pal, even if I don't log everything that goes into my mouth, like I used to (and yes, people, logging really does work!). Oh, but I forgot to mention pain aversion! I have a bad knee and my doctor said I was not a candidate for replacement. He told me to lose weight and walk more. So I started with a cane and a short distance. Lo and behold, as much as I hated that man for his advice (and called him quite a few names in the beginning), he was right! The weight and the cane is gone and, although I still get twinges in my knee, it never hurts now like it did then. When my weight starts to creep up I think of that pain. That works more than anything else.

USNRETWIFE, on 04 January 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Mr. Naron, on 04 January 2017 - 02:12 AM, said:

Most of it. I have had a little creep back but I try. Like I said, I walk 3 seasons of the year and try to move more in the winter. And I still use My Fitness Pal, even if I don't log everything that goes into my mouth, like I used to (and yes, people, logging really does work!). Oh, but I forgot to mention pain aversion! I have a bad knee and my doctor said I was not a candidate for replacement. He told me to lose weight and walk more. So I started with a cane and a short distance. Lo and behold, as much as I hated that man for his advice (and called him quite a few names in the beginning), he was right! The weight and the cane is gone and, although I still get twinges in my knee, it never hurts now like it did then. When my weight starts to creep up I think of that pain. That works more than anything else.

That's wonderful. Keeping it off is a much bigger accomplishment than losing it in the first place.
Page 1 of 1

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

New Blogroll! And...World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blog Roll
Ace of Spades
National Review
Got News
RealClearPolitics
ZeroHedge
The Federalist
African American Conservatives
Instapundit

World's Shortest Movie Reviews
American Sniper: Bradly Cooper=Best Actor
The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.