RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: This branch takes the cake as the US military’s fattest - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This branch takes the cake as the US military’s fattest Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:54 AM

This branch takes the cake as the US military's fattest
By: J.D. Simkins
09/04/2019
Military Times

<More Surprise Here>

Sailors need remedial physical training.

That could be one just one of many conclusions drawn by a recent Department of Defense study that found the Navy earned the dubious honor of surpassing all other branches in its rate of obese personnel.

The overall rate of fat service members is also up from recent years, with the percentage of personnel weighing in at obese standards climbing to over 17 percent, according to a Health of the DoD Force study.

That number spiked to over a quarter of service members over the age of 35.

For the Navy, the overall number of obese personnel was a shocking 22 percent. The other branches reported the following frequency of obesity:

• Air Force: 18 percent
  • Army: 17 percent
  • Marine Corps: 8.3 percent

And while the Marine Corps was the least overweight of the bunch — a characteristic partially attributable to the Corps having the youngest average age of personnel — the Marines reported the highest rate of knee and back injuries.

The Navy, meanwhile, reported the lowest incidence rate of cumulative injuries. How much of that could be related to inactivity was not determined.

Rates of obesity were configured using the oft-criticized body mass index measure, which indicates a service member is obese if their BMI reads 30 or higher.

"This report highlights obesity as a growing health concern among Sailors," the study's authors commented about their findings, which were first reported by Stars and Stripes.

"Obesity contributes to hypertension, diabetes, coronary heart disease, stroke, cancer, all-cause mortality, and increased healthcare costs."

It also costs the DoD significant coin.

(snip)

<More Surprise Here>

#2 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

Let's just say, I'm not surprised. :zip:

#3 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:07 AM

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/uploads/1554179283/med_gallery_6518_223_51397.jpg

#4 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 05 September 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

For the Navy, the overall number of obese personnel was a shocking 22 percent. The other branches reported the following frequency of obesity:

Sort it by gender, and I'll bet that majority are female. Even way back in my day I knew very few female sailors who looked like they'd been through a famine; more of them looked like they'd caused one.

These days, you can blame Obama's SecNav Ray Mabus for at least part of it. Under Obama he deliberately lowered the standards to specifically attract more women. Because, to those A-holes, it's more about identity and correctness than effectiveness.

The Stream (2015): Navy to Increase Body Fat Limits to Allow More Women

#5 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

BMI is bull<censored>

#6 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:58 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 05 September 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

BMI is bull<censored>

Yes and no. It's useless at the individual level, and increasingly so the further one is away from 'average' height. HOWEVER, when you've got a large enough group that the extremes cancel each other out, it's useful for statistically comparing one group in general with another group in general.

#7 User is online   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 05 September 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

BMI is bull<censored>

An infamous BMI test had the England rugby squad as overweight to fat. BMI took and takes into account, in no way, the muscle mass of people. These 'fat' players are of course built like brick poop-houses, even the 'smaller' ones.

#8 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:21 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 05 September 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

Yes and no. It's useless at the individual level, and increasingly so the further one is away from 'average' height. HOWEVER, when you've got a large enough group that the extremes cancel each other out, it's useful for statistically comparing one group in general with another group in general.

BMI is worthless. Perfect example.... when I was in Japan one of our E-7's was a CHAMPION BODY BUILDER AND POWER LIFTER. Common sense will tell you that you cannot be fat in any way shape or form and be taking home trophy's as a body builder. To say the man was ripped is an understatement, mold/model for an action figure/toy wrestler is more correct. The man was as famous for his physique as he was for his good nature, professionalism, skill and taking care of his guys. I would often joke with him that BMI is absolute B.S. as he litter ally had no body fat. Once I asked him if he ever had an actual body fat test done, by luck he had. I believe he said it was %3. BUT because he had a small neck in relation to his waist he was right on the verge of having to go into the weight control program.

On the flip side an E-7 (he was actually my Platoon Sergeant in my first unit) to say he was a worthless p.o.s. is an understatement. Pot belly, and outright fat. BUT, because he had a big neck he slid by. It's ironic because he always gave one of our medics crap who was built like a brick house because he barely passed the TABE test. When the medic finally had enough and told him the he benched over 300 pounds and was the only medic capable of dragging him of a battlefield the P.O.S. E-7 fore ever left him alone. Even myself I was always on the verge of being 'obese' by Army standards.
Never mind that before my knees went to hell from all the running and pounding I could smoke almost everyone in distance running and more than hold my own in every other fashion. Never mind the scrawny twigs who where 'ideal' that could barely pass push ups and sit ups much less couldn't even touch me on long runs.

#9 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

View Postscotsman, on 06 September 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

An infamous BMI test had the England rugby squad as overweight to fat. BMI took and takes into account, in no way, the muscle mass of people. These 'fat' players are of course built like brick poop-houses, even the 'smaller' ones.

One of the Soldiers in my last unit was a Champion Body Builder and Power Lifter who was always on the verge of being obese by Army standards.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users