RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Goodbye; It’s Been Wonderful! - RightNation.US

-----
RightNation, where I have been posting my blog and participating in discussions for many years, will be shutting down within days. Therefore, all of my hyperlinked references to it will soon be broken. I have mixed feelings.

The old BBS (bulletin board) style discussion fora were once new, and largely supplanted the even older UseNet newsgroups and such. But long ago, even before social media became ubiquitous, I noticed that public (yet privately owned) discussion forums seemed to exhibit a particular "lifespan". They'd be all about open discussion until they were no longer fun and profitable. Then, "regulars" would take over the boards. Many of these are folks who are strongly opinionated and run in packs, who value confirmation bias over reasonable discussion of different ideas, and who have lots of free time and/or no better ways to spent it. They gang-up, chase away newbies exploring possibilities, harass consistent participants who hold non-"popular" viewpoints, and ultimately turn the forum into an echo chamber. IOW: They readily ring in the death-knell of rational discussion and debate.

On the other hand, I greatly respect RightNation for not shutting me down in lo these 15-years. I've met and interacted with wonderful folks (cyber and corporeally); and even when completely at odds with their posted opinions and perspectives, did my best to remember that these are real people with real thoughts and experiences. NOT agreeing was part of the appeal and a primary driver of my participation: It's so easy to figuratively hit the "like" button whereas talking about it is the real challenge.

Thank you and salud, RN, you will be missed.

2 Comments On This Entry

Come back, MADG! Arrangements have been made and we're not going anywhere. I hope that applies to you too.

Liz, on 13 June 2018 - 12:20 AM, said:

Come back, MADG! Arrangements have been made and we're not going anywhere. I hope that applies to you too.

Okay!
Page 1 of 1