RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Battlebots "It's Robot Fighting Time" again - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Battlebots "It's Robot Fighting Time" again Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 58,745
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 27 September 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

Well, that's your opinion. A box with four corners would make more sense with a bot charging out of each corner rather than three. What would really be nice to know is what made the judges think 17 bots were qualified to challenge rather than 16 or 18, especially when one of the 17 was as questionable as Blacksmith.

By the way, no one should read my next several posts if they haven't yet seen the 9/27 episode!


Yes, it is indeed my opinion, based on plain old math, one of my strongest suits. 16 is of course the perfect number of contestants to boil everything down to one winner. The only number larger than 16 that works equally well is 32, and only because it results in 16. And the only number smaller than 16 that works equally well is 8, and that's only because it's the result of 16. When there's exactly 17 qualified contenders, the only logical numerical elimination plan is to hold a three-way match. As somebody whose job has specifically boiled things down to crunching numbers, I stand firmly, immovably, on that point.

:shrug:

Oh and I haven't yet clicked any of the spoilers. The show begins here in a little less than an hour & a half.

B)
0

#102 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 7,213
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 27 September 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

Yes, it is indeed my opinion, based on plain old math, one of my strongest suits. 16 is of course the perfect number of contestants to boil everything down to one winner. The only number larger than 16 that works equally well is 32, and only because it results in 16. And the only number smaller than 16 that works equally well is 8, and that's only because it's the result of 16. When there's exactly 17 qualified contenders, the only logical numerical elimination plan is to hold a three-way match. As somebody whose job has specifically boiled things down to crunching numbers, I stand firmly, immovably, on that point.

:shrug:

Oh and I haven't yet clicked any of the spoilers. The show begins here in a little less than an hour & a half.

B)


And I'm still wondering why there were 17 who qualified, thus creating the need for a sh!tty three-way when at least two of those supposed qualified bots were Blacksmith and Duck, bots that were only 2-2 and don't even have serious primary weapons. Those bots get one-on-one bouts while fairly impressive 3-1 bots have to fight in a three-way? THAT'S what doesn't make sense.

Keep staying away from my spoilers...this finale episode is pretty good and definitely worth seeing unspoiled. Enjoy it and looking forward to your thoughts on it once you see it.
0

#103 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 7,213
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

Spoiler

0

#104 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 58,745
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 27 September 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

And I'm still wondering why there were 17 who qualified, thus creating the need for a sh!tty three-way when at least two of those supposed qualified bots were Blacksmith and Duck, bots that were only 2-2 and don't even have serious primary weapons. Those bots get one-on-one bouts while fairly impressive 3-1 bots have to fight in a three-way? THAT'S what doesn't make sense.

Keep staying away from my spoilers...this finale episode is pretty good and definitely worth seeing unspoiled. Enjoy it and looking forward to your thoughts on it once you see it.


First off - Yes, I'll stay away from those spoilers. I wanna enjoy this. Roughly 45 minutes before it starts here.

As for the rest - Remember that the only reason it boiled eventually down to 17 was because of the initial number of entrants. That could only be "fixed" by limiting that number right from the start, something I'd be loath to do.

B)
0

#105 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

  • Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator
  • Posts: 19,860
  • Joined: 03-November 04

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:17 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 27 September 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Spoiler


Spoiler

0

#106 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 7,213
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:47 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 27 September 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

Spoiler



Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 27 September 2019 - 09:49 PM

0

#107 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

  • Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator
  • Posts: 19,860
  • Joined: 03-November 04

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 27 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

0

#108 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 7,213
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 27 September 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

Spoiler



Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 27 September 2019 - 10:03 PM

0

#109 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 58,745
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for making all those spoilers, LOL. I enjoyed the whole show. Didn't really expect Witch Doctor to make it to the final match. But once she made it to the final match, I predicted she'd lose to Bite Force.

B)
0

#110 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

  • Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator
  • Posts: 19,860
  • Joined: 03-November 04

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

When Tombstone's blade broke in two it reminded me of "Forged in Fire." (Do you guys watch that show?) A knife (blade) is only as strong as its weakest point. It wasn't a defect in his design. It was a defect in the materials.

And it shows how anything can happen. Any bot can beat any other bot on any given day. (Isn't there a sports adage like that, but without the "bot?")

And I'll be waiting until next year. I'm sure we'll have more international competition, and hopefully more bots from college students. (I liked that.)

The yoyo guy had awesome yoyo-ing skills.
0

#111 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 58,745
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

Re - Tombstone's broken blade - Yup, you're exactly correct: Nothing wrong with the design or the designer's skills. The blade broke at its weakest point, a flaw in the metal itself, not the robot's blueprint.

And yeah, that kid with the yo-yo was great.

Next year, hurrah! I'll be waiting.

:sinister:
0

#112 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 7,213
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 28 September 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

When Tombstone's blade broke in two it reminded me of "Forged in Fire." (Do you guys watch that show?) A knife (blade) is only as strong as its weakest point. It wasn't a defect in his design. It was a defect in the materials.

And it shows how anything can happen. Any bot can beat any other bot on any given day. (Isn't there a sports adage like that, but without the "bot?")


Sorry, with all due respect, your bias in favor of Tombstone is as bad as your bias against Witch Doctor; it renders your analysis equally off.

Tombstone's shortest and hardest blade broke off for the same reason it broke off in the past fight against Witch Doctor: because Tombstone is a "dumb" bot that has to do to damage to itself in order to do damage to an opponent, and the harder it "hits" an opponent the harder it hits itself. That is quintessential "defect" in strategy, imagination, and design: you just crash into the opposing bot and hope that the other bot will end up being more damaged than yours. It reminds me of playing "demolition derby" with Matchbox cars as a five or six year old, with about an equal amount of driving skill.

The designer/driver of Bite Force saw the obvious, which was why he outfitted the front of Bite Force with a new bar ("made especially for Tombstone") instead of its usual forks, referenced Witch Doctor's having broken that blade in the past, and said in the interview leading up to the fight, "I hope our bar is stronger than theirs." Clearly it was, and you know the guy knew it would be, in spite of his humble act (Again, he made the bar "especially for Tombstone," shucks and gee willikers). Like I said up thread, Tombstone could have fought Bite Force ten times and Bite Force would have won eleven. As a matter of fact, Tombstone could have fought even Witch Doctor ten times and Witch Doctor would have won about seven, just like it did the last time those two bots fought. This isn't biased opinion, by the way, all you have to do is see the past fights.

1) There's the fight where even an older and lousier version of Witch Doctor was tossing Tombstone around, broke its blade, but then had no self-righting mechanism, leading to a lucky Tombstone win:



2) Then there's the fight between improved-design Witch Doctor and Tombstone (not that Witch Doctor even needed the self-righting this fight):


0

Share this topic:


  • 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users