RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Since When Does “FUSION” Describe FOOD? - RightNation.US

-----
Since When Does “FUSION” Describe FOOD?

fu•sion- [fyoo-zhuhn] –noun
1. the act or process of fusing; the state of being fused…

I KNOW what the word “fusion” means but to me, the foremost exemplars are not very pretty (much less tasty):

• Nuclear Fusion- Uncontrolled nuclear fusion has been carried out many times in nuclear weapons testing, which always results in a deliberate explosion. Nuff said.
  • Medical; Cervical Fusion- [This procedure] involves the stabilization of two or more vertebrae by locking them together (fusing them). As someone afflicted with a herniated disk (C5-6) this carries all sorts of unpleasant memories and other imagery.
  • Jazz Fusion- I don’t even know what jazz is so mixing it with anything else just… well… to paraphrase Lrrr: This concept confuses and infuriates us! (Royal “we”.) ;)
  • Super Glue Plastic Fusion Epoxy Adhesive #15277- What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?... Sticky Ass Glue. What, as hors d'oeuvres? Mmmm… yummy.

And of course, anyone that has watched more than a couple of episodes of Myth Busters knows that, while fusion can be fun and cool (e.g.: subcompact and 2 semi rigs), it is often messy, dangerous, and explosive. (See also “Nuclear Fusion” above.)

None of this makes me the least bit hungry… or even has me looking forward to my next meal.

Some years ago, as I planned a trip to south Florida to visit my oldest and closest friend, I invited to lunch and agree to meet an “Internet acquaintance” at a particular restaurant (her choice) on a certain date and time. (In fact, we were associated via RN.) Since I was planning this from ~1,000-miles away, I searched on the net for ways to make it relatively painless, and happened upon a website/free-service called OpenTable. I signed up, it worked exactly as advertised, and it was an excellent and memorable “meet, greet, and eat”.

However, I just don’t go to restaurants that often… (especially now that you can’t SMOKE!)… and when I do go I tend to gravitate toward those at which I’ve already had pleasant experiences. (Or IOW, I am certainly not making the most of this service, although it feels good to have this kind of “connection”.) But since sociable dining is such a basic human need, I do try to stay at least somewhat informed, therefore never closed my “account” with OpenTable, and consequently have been receiving (via email) newsletters and special offers from them.

Hence this post. (Some emphasis added to the following.)

$25 for $50 of French Indian fusion at Mantra

Mantra Restaurant
French / Indian Fusion

Oh crap, what the heck is this?

"May all be happy. May all be healthy." - Hindi mantra

A mantra is a group of words that are considered capable of "creating transformation." Boston's Mantra is capable of the same thing - transforming fresh ingredients into inventive, French-Indian dishes that shine on the plate and dance on the palate.

The menu features unique dishes such as Sesame Seed Crusted Pork Tenderloin, Goat Cheese and Potato Tikki, and Tandoor Roasted Veal Chop. The drink list is extensive and expressive, complete with fresh-squeezed and spiced martinis and champagne cocktails.

May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you dine
at Mantra.

:headsmack:

Now mind you, I have nothing against adventurous cooking or adventurous eating… (it’s been awhile since I’ve told the “spicy kosher leg-of-goat on my grill” story)… nor do I necessarily have anything against mid- to top-shelf restaurants (assuming the value is there)… but…

What THE HELL is “French / Indian Fusion”??!!!

Highly-spiced curry dishes in tiny, overpriced, but artfully displayed portions?! Rude wait staff in saris?! Vindaloo frog’s legs?!!

But wait… there’s more:

Mantra is housed in a historic bank built in the 1800s, and the bar is a former teller's cage.

Well I hope they provide each diner with a traditional, ceremonial dagger, the better to CUT THROUGH THE OVERWHELMING IRONY!!!

India is renowned as a former British colony (not French), and the British are not particularly well known for exquisite culinary accomplishments. Albeit France did hold small portions of India… ***rimshot***… they were pretty much outta there by the end of the Napoleonic era.

And since I’m clearly dancing around the edges of certain stereotypes, that Indian folks are well known as excellent and detail-oriented administrators (read: bureaucrats), not too dissimilar from the Dutch who drove the French out of India... that this restaurant is “housed in a historic BANK built in the 1800s”… and that “the bar is a former teller's cage”… hoo boy, am I the only one who sees this?

There’s a stereotypical joke amongst some financials regarding India’s place as an emerging market: “They keep track of trades on a chalkboard, so if it rains that day, you don’t get your fill.” I only mention this thinking of “daily specials” at the restaurant. ;)

All of this is not to be confused with the pre-revolutionary colonization over here, nor the “French and Indian War”… not only are these different “Indians” {i.e.: Native Americans} but the French actually DID leave a culinary legacy … see for example: Cajun and Louisiana Creole cookery.

Where am I going with this? I really don’t know! Just my usual “seeing connections” where they might not actually exist. Would I eat at Mantra? Yeah, sure… so long as I didn’t have to chant for my dinner. Can I recommend it?...

Nope… not yet… I’m still trying to figure out this whole “fusion” thing. As far as I can tell, it means something really really expensive and possibly painful...

… (Again see “Nuclear Fusion” above.)

:coolshades:

0 Comments On This Entry