RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Calling All Amateur Rocketeers - RightNation.US

-----
Amateur Rocketeers

I hope that there are a few budding Bob Goddards out there who may be able to help me better understand and appreciate not only this valid and educational pursuit… but also the kinds of ***cough*** reasonable governmental regulation pertinent thereto.

Otherwise, spending a few bucks on something like these (and beer) to set up in the backyard and engaging whilst proclaiming: Hey y’all looky here! seems like a pretty neat idea!

My only firsthand experience with rockets was when I was an early adolescent and was given my own toy water rocket. You had to pump this thing like mad to get it to shoot off and spray all over the place to everyone’s delight…

… and life hasn’t been the same since.

Dang… what the heck was I just talking about?

B)

6 Comments On This Entry

The bigger more elaborate ones get expensive and can only be set off in certain areas. It's a lot of work for only a few minutes satisfaction. If you really like that kind of thing, I suggest finding someone you can't stand and marry them instead.
i found building Estes rockets fun when i was younger. Pretty simple to build mostly gluing fins to card board tubes then painting them. some were very elaborate but still simple to build, and after all that you get to launch them. YAHOO! Nowadays i build and paint models and its part of my decompression time at home.
After 9/11 the ATF was given jurisdiction over this as a potential 'explosive' but exempted the smaller rocket engines.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/08/...by-rockets.html

cobalt-blue, on Nov 17 2010, 11:50 PM, said:

The bigger more elaborate ones get expensive and can only be set off in certain areas. It's a lot of work for only a few minutes satisfaction. If you really like that kind of thing, I suggest finding someone you can't stand and marry them instead.

So is skiing; although that’s probably more expensive than the former and less than the latter. ;-)

texas boss, on Nov 18 2010, 04:21 PM, said:

i found building Estes rockets fun when i was younger. Pretty simple to build mostly gluing fins to card board tubes then painting them. some were very elaborate but still simple to build, and after all that you get to launch them. YAHOO! Nowadays i build and paint models and its part of my decompression time at home.

I’ve been doing some of that as well, albeit I took a bit of a sabbatical during the summer as I think of modeling as a mostly indoor activity. Gotta get myself in gear again!

Adam Smithee, on Nov 18 2010, 05:52 PM, said:

After 9/11 the ATF was given jurisdiction over this as a potential 'explosive' but exempted the smaller rocket engines.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/08/...by-rockets.html

Thank you, that’s a helpful link. As described, the rule is very specific as to fuel composition and capacity but it doesn’t mention any limit on the number of these motors that one can possess. I smell a loophole!!! ;)

(Also note ATF clarification.)
Just a note...The ATF lost it's case against the hobby's two governing bodies(NAR & Tripoli) involving rocket fuel explosive classification in 2009. This involved the use of Potassium Perchlorate as a propellant that is used in some mid-power, and most high-powered motors. The limitation of 62.2 grams of fuel was set by the NAR decades ago as the limitation of low powered model rockets with total impulse ratings from 1/4A to G(E,F,G motors considered mid-power) being under their (self) governance. H motors and above are the jurisdiction of Tripoli High Power.

In the wake of the ATF case, the 62.2gr limit was adopted by the shipping industry as a limit to requiring a HAZMAT fee. If a motor contains more 62.2gr of propellant there's $25 HAZMAT fee whether it's a single motor or a dozen. As a results, a lot of online rocketry suppliers stopped offering mid to high powered motors. If you're going to get into bigger rockets, it's best to seek out a local group to join. They usually have a supplier that sells motors at the launches.

Prior to losing the case, the ATF was requiring the storage of even one of these motors in an approved explosives magazine($300 and up) located under specific conditions and conforming to federal and local standards, as well as federal permits to purchase and possess. By comparison a hunter using a black powder rifle could possess and store up to 50lb of highly explosive black powder with no permits or storage requirements. If, however you have a thimble full of black powder for use as an ejection charges......beware the wrath of the ATF as it is not an approved use of black powder.

During the legal battle...a few companies introduced hybrid motor systems using plastic/rubber/cardboard as fuels and nitrous oxide as an oxidizer. Regardless, it's a great hobby....enjoy!
Thank you! ;)
Page 1 of 1