RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Portland’s Worst Day of the Year Bike Ride Postponed—Due to Year’s Wor - RightNation.US

Portland’s Worst Day of the Year Bike Ride Postponed—Due to Year’s Wor Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

View PostMartin, on 08 February 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

There are cyclists whose bicycles do not have saddles. They can go faster by pedaling standing up the whole time they ride.

Helps with hills for sure. But it is also much harder to do over distance, because in addition to powering the bike, the legs also have to support the entire body weight. I was riding to work once when the saddle pole on my bike snapped and I had to ride the last few miles standing up. Going home from work I took the bus...

#22 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

No way I would ride in friggin February. When I was a kid I loved riding in the pouring rain, but no more of that either.

There is a 100 mile through 3.5 ride for the Tour De Cure that always participate in, which is at a sane time of year weather wise.

#23 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostLadybird, on 10 February 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

No way I would ride in friggin February. When I was a kid I loved riding in the pouring rain, but no more of that either.

There is a 100 mile through 3.5 ride for the Tour De Cure that always participate in, which is at a sane time of year weather wise.

My first year living in Arizona I could not get over being able to wear shorts on my rides...in December. In Michigan, the riding was over with by November at the latest.

#24 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:37 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 10 February 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

I rode at this one 50k event in Michigan for a couple years. The "bike snobs" you are referring to were easy to spot. They all had the latest hi tech wear, nice bikes, and a disdain for guys like me who would wear gym shorts, t shirt, and would ride the event using a commuter bike like a Trek 7300 hybrid. For some reason they were also put off by my post ride ritual, which consisted of putting my bike on its carrier, lighting up a cigarette, and driving home.

They are also the ones who think the rules of the road don't apply to them.

I know a guy like that. He once gave me an earful for having a hitch-mounted bike rack on my Jeep Cherokee rather than putting the bike in the Cherokee, Apparently a Real BicyclistTM would never dream of exposing the bicycle to the elements. And I'm like, "Dude, it's a bike I paid $100 for second-hand ten years ago." Some of these people are just plain nuts.

#25 User is offline   Hieronymous 

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 10 February 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

I know a guy like that. He once gave me an earful for having a hitch-mounted bike rack on my Jeep Cherokee rather than putting the bike in the Cherokee, Apparently a Real BicyclistTM would never dream of exposing the bicycle to the elements. And I'm like, "Dude, it's a bike I paid $100 for second-hand ten years ago." Some of these people are just plain nuts.

Plus, laying the bike on its side for a car ride really isn't good for the bike. And don't bikes get exposed to the elements every time they are ridden? That guy failed even at being a bike snob.

#26 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

The snow did hit Friday evening but things didn't get as dicey as they were predicted to be.

And I would think that Portland is a year around bicycling place.

And I would also think that most of the people who would participate in this event are just people looking to have fun and a good time and not hardcore cyclists.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users