RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Remembering Our Heroes - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Remembering Our Heroes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Vulcan 

• P-47 Thunderbolt
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

Not sure how appropriate this will be, but in our celebration of this holiday I thought it would be nice to start a thread with the names (if one feels it is appropriate) of those who have served our nation. I am humbled by those who are serving or have served, those who have fallen or those who survived...in a time of war or in times of peace. I am grateful there are men and women like these in our midst.

1st LT. Irwin T. Hollowell Army Air Corps WWII European Theater
Spec. Joshua Saxon Army National Guard
John Danheiser US Navy USS Pennsylvania WWII

#2 User is offline   Chuck717 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Seargent Thomas Lowe: WWI and Korea. Silverstar recipient.

Came home after Korea and became the town drunk.

Firstborn son born with major organs on the outside.

The little town of Sims, Illinoise, despite Uncle Tommy's reputation as an alcoholic, passed the hat for thier hero and paid for the surgery.

Also, my father, Isaac Lowe, rated 4f, went to KC Missouri and built B-24's, often donating several hours of unpaid overtime.

Hat's off and head bowed to all who served, in whatever capacity, to keep our nation free.

#3 User is offline   Grumpy 

• <no title>

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

CDR Bruce Agustus Nystrom VA-172, MIA, 2 DEC 1966

ENS Paul Laurence Worrell VA-172, KIA, 2 DEC 1966

#4 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

I don't want to use their names on a public forum because I haven't asked them and don't have permission, but I would like to thank:
My father -US Navy WWII
My husband - US Navy ret. Viet Nam
My uncle - US Navy, ret. Korea
My uncle - US Navy WWII
My uncle - US Army Korea
My uncle - US Air Force ret. WWII, Korea
My brother - US Army ret. Viet Nam
My brother - US Air Force ret.
My brother in law - US Army Korea
My brother in law - US Army Viet Nam
My brother in law - US Army Viet Nam era

ETA: How could I have forgotten my two nephews? I am so ashamed! One was Air National Guard and the other is Army National Guard and an OIF veteran. I love those boys. They are the most recent vets in our family and I think I was trying so hard to remember other eras that I overlooked them. Now I have to go beg their forgiveness. blush.gif

This post has been edited by USNRETWIFE: 26 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

#5 User is offline   The_1st_Sgt 

• <no title>

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

My father-Ray D. George SgtMaj USMC (ret) WWII and Korea
My brother-Jim George Sgt USMC cold war
My son-Derrill "Doc" George USN Corpsman 3 tours Iraq, 1 tour Afganistan

#6 User is offline   Riothouse 

• This Space for Rent -- Cheap

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

Grandfather - US Navy - (passed away)
Uncle -- WWII (died in Germany while deployed - non combat related death)
Uncle -- Air Force (Vietnam era)
Uncle -- Army (Vietnam era)
Father in Law -- Army (early Vietnam era)
Father - US Navy (Seabees) (Vietnam era)
Brother - US Navy (Desert Storm vet)
Son - US Army (Iraq Veteran)
Husband - US Army (TraDoc Veteran laugh.gif )

I appreciate all of their service and sacrifice. My youngest son has let his brothers, dad and I all know he intends on signing up for service the day he turns 18. It looks like he will be added to this list next year.

I also wanted to add the passengers of Flight 93. When I was in DC on September 11 we were told that there was a plane heading for us and it could possibly be heading for the White House or the Capitol Bldg (which is what I was closest to at that time). While I was standing there scared and feeling helpless the words "let's roll" were being uttered on that plane. I am so grateful to them. I don't know where that plane would have hit had they not taken it down when they did. I consider them my heroes and defenders too.

This post has been edited by Riothouse: 25 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

#7 User is offline   rightwatchman 

• <no title>

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

The right watchman is on the lookout!

My Dad-US NAVY (Vietnam Era Veteran stationed in Puerto Rico)
Both my Grandfathers-US ARMY (WWII, both passed away)
My best friends brother-US NAVY (currently active)
A good friend of mine from college-US Marines (Iraq and Afghanistan veteran)

Of course the guys on my fire company many of whom are veterans who were in the US Army and the US Navy two of whom are Iraq veterans. That reminds me I need a prayer request for a member of my fire company and a veteran. A week a go I mentioned in a post regarding Ted Kennedy's recent brain tumor diagnosis the president of my fire company and how at 77 is as spry, dedicated, and active as anyone in my company and how he is probably the best driver we have. Well, in a horrible irony, just yesterday we learned that he too might have brain tumors. This is great man who has been like a grandfather to myself and many others before me. He is also a Korean War veteran who spent a good deal of time dodging bullets while he was deployed. If you guys want to send out a prayer to a veteran, husband of over 55 years, father of 11(five of whom died at birth), grandfather of 17, tough as nails Irish firefighter, it would be aprreciated.

#8 User is offline   Attila 

• I'd like to order a cat?
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:37 PM

Great Grandfather (Mothers side) & Uncles Both sides of the family (Civil War - Union)
Grand Father (Mothers father) WWI - France (passed) Medals unknown
Uncle (Mothers Brother) WWII - European Theater - (Passed - KIA 1945) Medals unknown (Mother didn't like talking about it)
Bro-in-Law (Sis 1) - WWII - Navy, Pearl Harbor (USS Oklahoma), Pacific Theater (passed) DSM (1), Bronze Star (3), Purple Heart (1)
Bro-in-Law (Sis 2) - WWII - Marine, Pacific Theater (passed) Bronze Star (5 - 2 V), Purple Heart (4)
Bro-in-Law (Sis 3) - WWII - Army Air Corp. Pilot, B-24, European Theater (passed) DFC (2), Bronze Star (5 - 4 V), Purple Heart, Air Medal (4)
Ex-Father-in-Law Navy CPO - Pearl Harbor (USS Oklahoma), Pacific Theater (Passed - Accident 1977) Bronze (2), DSM (1), Purple Heart (2)

Bro Navy (56-61) USS Collet, Los Angeles - Pacific, H-Bomb tests in the Pac during 50's, Ran Formosa (Taiwan) (living, loves listenin' to Jazz)
Son US Air Force (1991- ) - The Middle East, Afghanistan (Currently in Theater working with Army - Iraq) Various Medals, and Ribbons (21+?)
Nephew #1 Navy (65-69) Nam tours (2) - See-bee for 1st (DaNang Construction), S'boat driver on 2nd, Bronze (3 - 3 V), Purple Heart (1), DSM (1)
Nephew #2 Army (66-70) Europe (Nephew #1 volunteered for Second tour so his bro wouldn't be sent (Sullivan rule).
Nephew #3 Army (69-76) Vietnam 69-70, Then Europe Germany for remainder of Enlistment Bronze (1)
Nephew #4 Marine (71-77) Vietnam 72-73, Hawaii, and finished enlistment as Embassy guard in Europe.

There are others (Nephews, and grand Nephews currently serving), but listing them all would take until after Memorial Day is past. Other than on my Father's side, there is a long history of military service in the extended family, and they all deserve our thanks, and prayers. Someday, I'll make a list of all the past, and current Military in the family. The numbers would easily amount to a few squads, but not quite a company.

The link below is for my Sisters who are still living, and are still missing their Husbands. All three men were more surrogate Fathers to me, and did more to shape me as a person than anyone. For their guidance through puberty, teaching me how to drive, drink, and all around have fun, and as I spoke with my sisters just recently about these fine men, their lifelong lovers, and friends.

For My Sisters rose2.gif

Another summer day
Has come and gone away
In Paris and Rome
But I wanna go home
Mmmmmmmm

Maybe surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel all alone
I just wanna go home
Oh, I miss you, you know

And I've been keeping all the letters that I wrote to you
Each one a line or two
I'm fine baby, how are you?
Well I would send them but I know that it's just not enough
My words were cold and flat
And you deserve more than that

Another aeroplane
Another sunny place
I'm lucky I know
But I wanna go home
Mmmm, I've got to go home

Let me go home
I'm just too far from where you are
I wanna come home

And I feel just like I'm living someone else's life
It's like I just stepped outside
When everything was going right
And I know just why you could not
Come along with me
'Cause this was not your dream
But you always believed in me

Another winter day has come
And gone away
In even Paris and Rome
And I wanna go home
Let me go home

And I'm surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel all alone
Oh, let me go home
Oh, I miss you, you know

Let me go home
I've had my run
Baby, I'm done
I gotta go home
Let me go home
It will all be all right
I'll be home tonight
I'm coming back home

This post has been edited by Attila: 26 May 2008 - 12:30 AM

#9 User is offline   mazing_lilman 

• <no title>
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:18 AM

I would like to add
Dan Christopher(Vietnam)
James Wright( Korea)
Bill Wallace (WW2)
Scott Converse (Kosovo)
Trin(OIF 7)
JAF(OIF 7)

All my fellow RN Veterans past and present.

God bless all, and if youre still in country i have this old poem

"may god walk between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk"
sadly i dont remember the author

#10 User is offline   BlondInfidel 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:00 AM

great uncle WWII -Pacific, paratrooper
My grandpa WWII - Army, helped opened Aushwitz, was a minesweeper.
My husband during Vietnam - didn't actually fight there but stationed in Germany
Father -in Law WWII - Philipines
Father- Marine (only boot camp)

Thank you for your service, all of the military people. salute.gif

#11 User is offline   Duty Honor Country 

• <no title>

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(Thomas Paine (The American Crisis @ No. 1, 19 December 1776
)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
love and thanks of man and woman."

Pfc Robert L Salesman, USMC - KIA Okinawa 15 May 1945
He was my moms brother and the only causality our family has ever had in combat.

My Step grandfather who enlisted late in life was 37 when he entered the Army in 1941, he was in the 2nd Armored division. Before there was an NBA he played professional basketball on Corporate sponsored teams back in the 20's and early 30's.

My uncle (My Dads brother) served in the Army 1941-1945, I don't know what unit or where he served, he never would talk about it much only that he was in Europe.

My dad a Korean War Vet, 40th Division MP Company, and 224th Inf Regiment, He is now a 5 year cancer survior.

MY Son who has an account on RN but I never see here, served in the 4th Division for his whole 4 years. Interesting tale...his Platoon Sergeant was a good friend of mine in the 101st, we we both the Company Commanders RTO's.

#12 User is offline   bwana50 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

I'd like to add:

My dad, Alex "the Greek" Soulis Pearl Harbor Survivor, he died in 1997 and I miss him to this day.
My grandfather, Arthur Cole, drafted into the Navy towards the end of WWII and never left the midwest, but did his duty well.
My step-dad, Paul Holguin, who was in the engineer corps (Army) during the Battle of Okinawa, repairing the landing fields at Kadena under fire.
My uncle, Jim Cole, Army infantry, wounded severely in VietNam, when he should have been home but wasn't because he wouldn't let his comand report a couple of injuries, I guess he was saving his purple hearts for John Kerry...
My husband, Tim Graham, USMC 1986-2006
My BIL, Chris Johnson, USMC 1993-2001

each and every soldier, airman, marine and veteran and family member here on RN who have served honorably and heroically! You are all my heroes and in my prayers daily! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

#13 User is offline   The-Stig 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Lincoln C. Losey who went ashore at Normandy and was wounded. He was shipped back to England and after some hosptal time went back to Normandy during the hedgerow battles.

#14 User is offline   littlestonem 

• Group: Registered Guest

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

This is my first post. I am not from a military family but have grown to greatly appreciate the work our Armed Forces do and the benefit they are to our country. I am a banker in Florida and one of our customers has an organization called Adopt-a-Troop, which puts together care packages for those serving in active military. She has received commendations from President Bush and others.

Please visit her site.

www.adoptatroop.net

Michael Littlestone / Reagan Republican

#15 User is offline   RRCons 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

I looked all over the forum for the best place to put this and I think this is it.

This venerable and much honored WW II vet is well known in Hawaii for his seventy-plus years of service to patriotic organizations and causes all over the country. A humble man without a political bone in his body, he has never spoken out before about a government official, until now. He dictated this letter to a friend, signed it and mailed it to the president.

Dear President Obama,

My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.

I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a "rest home" located on the western end of Pearl Harbor , allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.

One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.

So here goes.

I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.

I can't figure out what country you are the president of.
You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:
" We're no longer a Christian nation"
" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even
announced to the world," America is mean-
spirited. " Please tell her to try preaching
that nonsense to 23 generations of our
war dead buried all over the globe who
died for no other reason than to free a
whole lot of strangers from tyranny and
hopelessness.)
I'd say shame on the both of you, but I don't think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said," America hasn't lived up to her ideals."

Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? I hope you didn't mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.

I don't think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man.

Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue . You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts , who was putting up a fight? You don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you're thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president.
You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now.
And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle...

Sincerely,
Harold B. Estes

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users