RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Sessions' Successor, Now Overseeing Mueller Probe, Argued For - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sessions' Successor, Now Overseeing Mueller Probe, Argued For Limiting It Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

Sessions' Successor, Now Overseeing Mueller Probe, Argued For Limiting It

The Washington Times
By Jeff Mordock
Updated: 6:08 p.m. on Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Excerpt:

Acting Attorney General Matthew G. Whitaker, who will now oversee special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian collusion with the Trump campaign, has publicly advocated for limiting the scope of that investigation.

In August 2017, two months before Mr. Whitaker joined the Justice Department, he penned an op-ed for CNN arguing that the special counsel could cross a line if he began investigating the finances of President Trump and his family.

“It does not take a lawyer or even a former federal prosecutor like myself to conclude that investigating Donald Trump’s finances or his family’s finances falls completely outside the realm of his 2016 campaign and allegations that the campaign coordinated with the Russian government or anyone else,” Mr. Whitaker wrote. “That goes beyond the scope of the special counsel.”

But it is not the only time Mr. Whitaker has expressed skepticism of the Mueller probe.

In a July 2017 appearance on CNN, Mr. Whitaker offered a scenario in which the president could fire Mr. Sessions and replaces him a temporary attorney general, who than slashes the special counsel budget rather than outright firing Mr. Mueller.

“So I could see a scenario where Jeff Sessions is replaced with a recess appointment,” Mr. Whitaker told the news network. “And that attorney general doesn’t fire Bob Mueller, but he just reduces his budget so low that his investigation grinds to almost a halt.”

And in August 2017, Mr. Whitaker used his personal Twitter account to promote an op-ed by another lawyer that calls the Mueller probe “a lynch mob.”

Those arguments appeared to curry favor with Mr. Trump who considered Mr. Whitaker as potential replacements for both Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, according to media reports.

George J. Terwilliger III, a former deputy attorney general now a private practice attorney, has worked with Mr. Whitaker. He said he is not concerned about Mr. Whitaker’s criticism of the investigation he now runs.

“I think anyone in a supervisory position at the Justice Department out (sic) to be making sure that any subordinate, including a special counsel, is doing his or her job the way its supposed to be done,” Mr. Terwilliger said. “In his position as acting attorney general, he may bear the ultimate responsibility for what happens so he ought to know what is going on.”

“If he has problems with the investigation, and I don’t know that he does or doesn’t, I’m sure he’d take that up with the special counsel,” he said.

Mr. Whitaker was also reportedly considered a possible successor for Donald F. McGhan II, former White House counsel.

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:45 PM

I hope Mr. Whitaker doesn't turn out to be the disappointment Jeff Sessions or Mr. Wray at the FBI, Comey's replacement, are, in my opinion.

Anyway, his audition starts whenever he takes over.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users