RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Record-breaking snowfall blankets Erie, PA, with over 60 inches of sno - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Record-breaking snowfall blankets Erie, PA, with over 60 inches of sno Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

Photos: Record-breaking snowfall blankets Erie, Pennsylvania, with over 60 inches of snow
By Ashley Williams, AccuWeather staff writer
December 27, 2017
accuweather.com

<More Here Including Many Photos>

Snowfall totals broke records in Erie, Pennsylvania, as snow covered much of the northeastern United States on Christmas. From 7 p.m. on Dec. 24 to 7 p.m. Dec. 26, Erie had received 60.5 inches of snow, which shattered numerous records for the city. Nearly all of this snow fell on Monday and Tuesday. “This is now the biggest two-day snow total on record for Pennsylvania, besting the old record of 44 inches, which was set in Morgantown from March 20-21, 1958,” AccuWeather Meteorologist Bill Deger said.

Many Erie residents woke up on Tuesday to piles of snow in front of their homes or vehicles blanketed in thick coatings of snow. The record-breaking snowfall impacted visibility for some drivers and caused Erie International Airport to cancel arriving and departing flights by Christmas evening. Remarkably, snow hasn’t finished falling over Erie just yet, said Deger. “A chilly flow over Lake Erie will produce more snow for the city at varying intensities through Wednesday, and they could get another 1 to 2 feet of snow through midweek,” he said.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/7P-3nlvoQ6inYDuyGFP9Eg.png

https://image.prntscr.com/image/BxMtgnTvR6iFyCaKY9XClA.png

(snip)

<More Here Including Many Photos>

#2 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

Lake effects.

#3 User is offline   Oathtaker 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

View PostLadybird, on 27 December 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

Lake effects.

Effect.

That is the predominant weather pattern for Erie and the surrounding area.

It’s still a record regardless of how it happens.

#4 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

https://image.prntscr.com/image/MPFxXWE8T6qCNRPtm8CKag.png

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostOathtaker, on 27 December 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Effect.

That is the predominant weather pattern for Erie and the surrounding area.

It’s still a record regardless of how it happens.

The weatherman says lake effects...

There are areas up here where this weather is indeed predominant. It can be a few flurries in the city of Buffalo, but drive a few miles and suddenly it’s full on whiteout conditions with almost a foot of unplowed snow on the ground.

#6 User is offline   Oathtaker 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostLadybird, on 27 December 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

The weatherman says lake effects...

There are areas up here where this weather is indeed predominant. It can be a few flurries in the city of Buffalo, but drive a few miles and suddenly it’s full on whiteout conditions with almost a foot of unplowed snow on the ground.

NOAA and NWS say “effect”:

Short Range Forecast Discussion
NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD
253 AM EST Wed Dec 27 2017

Valid 12Z Wed Dec 27 2017 - 12Z Fri Dec 29 2017

...Freezing rain possible over parts of the Pacific Northwest with snow in
the Cascades and northern Rockies...

...Great Lakes to experience lake effect snow...

...Chance for mixed precipitation across parts of the Southeast...

So there you have it.

I understand the whole dynamic of lake effect snow and other weather phenomenon, part of my job requires me to be able to interpret and understand weather patterns.

Though I am not a meteorologist and neither is your weather person more than likely.

This post has been edited by Oathtaker: 27 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

#7 User is offline   ThePatriot 

• Warpaint
  • Group: Gold

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

Damn global warming, er, climate change!!! :rant:

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Depending on the wind, it may be headed my way.. We mostly get it from Lake Ontario, but Lake Erie is just an hour and half away.

#9 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostLadybird, on 27 December 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Depending on the wind, it may be headed my way.. We mostly get it from Lake Ontario, but Lake Erie is just an hour and half away.

My sisters live 30 miles east of Lake Michigan. They don't see anything like this, but unless the lake freezes over completely, they see snow every day.

The biggest snow dump I saw when I lived in Michigan was 18 inches, but I was a kid and we got a snow day from school, so it was the best thing ever.

#10 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

Look at all that global warming. Don't you fools know that is nothing but frozen carbon falling from the sky in the form of condensation nuclei?!?!?!

#11 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

We are looking at a high of -6 and a low of -27 for New Years Eve Sunday. Where's my global warming? Needless to say, we are staying home on that night, maybe watch to see if Don Lemmon gets drunk and makes a fool of himself again this year. I'm ready for spring!

#12 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 28 December 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

We are looking at a high of -6 and a low of -27 for New Years Eve Sunday. Where's my global warming? Needless to say, we are staying home on that night, maybe watch to see if Don Lemmon gets drunk and makes a fool of himself again this year. I'm ready for spring!

The global warming crowd is saying that the cooling you experience is proof of warming....

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 27 December 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

My sisters live 30 miles east of Lake Michigan. They don't see anything like this, but unless the lake freezes over completely, they see snow every day.

The biggest snow dump I saw when I lived in Michigan was 18 inches, but I was a kid and we got a snow day from school, so it was the best thing ever.

I live about 2 miles from Lk Ontario and it’s the same thing....never ending snow between mid November into sometimes the end of April. Even when we have sun and blue skies, the flakes are flying.
Right now it’s colder than a witch’s <blank>. Nothing unusual about that though.

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

It's hardly worth mentioning in the light of Erie PA, but what the heck, a few of my "personal bests":

Worst Winter growing up: "Blizzard of '77" (or was it '78?) aka the "White Hurricane" in Central/Southern Indiana. IIRC, the only time in the states history when the governor closed ALL roads in the state except for Emergency Vehicles.

Most Snow I've ever seen: Toss-up between Baldwinsville NY (Just N of Syracuse) in ('02?) and Edmonton AB in ('06?). There's just something weird about driving around when the streets have been cleared but the snow on either side is higher than the roof of your vehicle.

COLDEST I've ever been. Green River Wyoming, January of '92. [Swear to god, I ever meet the guy who named it "Green" River, I will shoot him stone dead on the spot.] -30F normal, -50F-ish with wind chill as I recall. TRUE STORY: I need to make an adjust to a piece of equipment. I'm dressed like Nanook of the North, I can do this. I dash outside, pick up a wrench that had been laying there, put it on the bolt and put some weight on it. Wrench snaps off in my hands. Gimme a break, I'm from Florida, How'm *I* supposed to know that steel becomes brittle at (depending on grade) -20F onwards?

(Yeah I can take a joke. But I can give as well as I receive. Come down to Florida. The wrench you need is right there underneath that Banana Spider.)

HOTTEST I've ever been:
130F-ish, Dubai UAE. Worse by being the 'engineer' who certified the Hot Asphalt being laid down on a major roadway. Bear in mind that Hot Asphalt needs to be laid down between 270F and 330F. My counterpart was from the UK. There's something to be said about "Mad Dogs, Englishmen, and the noonday sun".

#15 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

[

This post has been edited by SARGE: 28 December 2017 - 09:59 PM

#16 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 28 December 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

It's hardly worth mentioning in the light of Erie PA, but what the heck, a few of my "personal bests":

Worst Winter growing up: "Blizzard of '77" (or was it '78?) aka the "White Hurricane" in Central/Southern Indiana. IIRC, the only time in the states history when the governor closed ALL roads in the state except for Emergency Vehicles.

Most Snow I've ever seen: Toss-up between Baldwinsville NY (Just N of Syracuse) in ('02?) and Edmonton AB in ('06?). There's just something weird about driving around when the streets have been cleared but the snow on either side is higher than the roof of your vehicle.

COLDEST I've ever been. Green River Wyoming, January of '92. [Swear to god, I ever meet the guy who named it "Green" River, I will shoot him stone dead on the spot.] -30F normal, -50F-ish with wind chill as I recall. TRUE STORY: I need to make an adjust to a piece of equipment. I'm dressed like Nanook of the North, I can do this. I dash outside, pick up a wrench that had been laying there, put it on the bolt and put some weight on it. Wrench snaps off in my hands. Gimme a break, I'm from Florida, How'm *I* supposed to know that steel becomes brittle at (depending on grade) -20F onwards?

(Yeah I can take a joke. But I can give as well as I receive. Come down to Florida. The wrench you need is right there underneath that Banana Spider.)

HOTTEST I've ever been:
130F-ish, Dubai UAE. Worse by being the 'engineer' who certified the Hot Asphalt being laid down on a major roadway. Bear in mind that Hot Asphalt needs to be laid down between 270F and 330F. My counterpart was from the UK. There's something to be said about "Mad Dogs, Englishmen, and the noonday sun".

I still have a t-shirt that says “I survived the blizzard of ‘78”. It happened the winter after we moved from New Jersey to New York. Never saw so much snow in my life (at that time). My mom was an RN. The state police brought her to work because the hospital needed all hands on deck, but our car was buried.

#17 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

View PostLadybird, on 29 December 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

I still have a t-shirt that says “I survived the blizzard of ‘78”. It happened the winter after we moved from New Jersey to New York. Never saw so much snow in my life (at that time). My mom was an RN. The state police brought her to work because the hospital needed all hands on deck, but our car was buried.

From what I've read, Blizzard of '78 was the only time in Indiana's history the entire state was closed; The governor closed all roads except for emergency vehicles. Our volunteer Fire Dept was using an army-surplus halftrack as an ambulance, and local farmers were using their tractors (with heated cabs) to drive police and first responders etc. around.

Don't laugh about "tractors". They can get "fancy" in the midwest.

TRUE STORY: So one year we're up in Indiana visiting relatives and in-laws. Me, I'm all full of myself and showing off a $70K Mercedes that cost more than the first house I ever bought and probably the houses of most-in-laws. I mean, it's got 4-matic and can go "anywhere". (Dirty little secret: I also once had an Audi GT Quattro that could do exactly the same for a fraction of the price. But let's not mention that because, y'know, "Mercedes".)

Brother-in-law was not impressed. He opens the barn to show to show me a $250K tractor and challenges me to follow him "anywhere". Damn!. If that's not a real weenie-shrinker, then I don't know what is.

Damn. If I'd have still had the ($5k, used) Audi GT, I might have challenged him.

EtA: And what the HELL ever happened to Audi as a "marque". They've lost their "mojo". They've become "pussified". Give me a properly tuned (F### that, I'll tune it myself) Audi Quatro '80-91 and I will have most Porsche 911 owners pissing their pants. INCLUDING my former boss, Nort Northam.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 03 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users