RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Are You Sapiosexual? - RightNation.US

Are You Sapiosexual? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:13 AM

Are You Sapiosexual?

Discover Magazine
By Nathaniel Scharping
January 4, 2018 4:27 pm

Excerpt:

When (sic) turns you on? When responding to the question, most people turn to physical attributes, and we can probably all guess what the answers might be.

But for some, sexual attraction stems not from the assemblage of flesh and bone that carries us through life, but from what resides within. No, itís not the soul ó itís the mind.

Or so they say. So-called sapiosexuals claim to be attracted to intellect, and many say that it overrules the physical characteristics that underpin sexuality for most people. The term has caught on recently ó OkCupid now allows users to identfiy as sapiosexual, and an entire dating app, Sapio, is devoted to helping sapiosexuals meet.

A crucial point to make here is that for sapiosexuals, intellect isnít just nice to have, itís a legitimate turn on. Itís not a stretch to say that most people value intelligence in a long-term partner; indeed, a host of studies backs that up and it usually ranks second just behind ďkindness and understandingĒ as a desirable trait. But sapiosexuals claim that their preferences go beyond that. They react to intelligence the same way others might to, say, chiseled abs.

As is perhaps inevitable with a sexual identity that prizes intelligence above all, the concept has met with both ridicule and criticism from those see the concept as pretentious, or who worry that it disadvantages those with disabilities. Some doubt that sapiosexuality is even a legitimate phenomenon. It could simply be a manifestation of an attraction to other characteristics, or perhaps simply an identity adopted by those who wish to see themselves a certain way.

Smart and Sexy

To get to the bottom of the question, Gilles Gignac, a psychology researcher at the University of Western Australia conducted a survey of both undergraduate students in Australia and participants on Amazonís Mechanical Turk. He and his co-authors had them complete a questionnaire that asked whether they found high levels of intelligence attractive, in addition to more general questions about intelligence. Examples included ďListening to someone speak very intelligently arouses me sexually,Ē and ďA very high level of intelligence alone is enough for me to be attracted to someone sexually.Ē

Gignac also asked them directly whether they would find people with varying levels of intelligence attractive, ranging from well below the 50th percentile to the very top end of the intelligence spectrum. His study was published in the journal Intelligence, natch.

*snip*

Full Story

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:09 AM

Yes, to me intellect is every bit as important as physical attractiveness. But there's a third quality which I consider more important than both intellect and physical beauty:

Personality.

Let's face it, a person can be both gorgeous and brilliant, and still be boring as hell. Gimme a woman with a pleasant personality; a sense of humor; somebody who's fun to be around. That's the most desirable feature as far as I'm concerned.

B)

#3 User is offline   ThePatriot 

• Warpaint
  • Group: Gold

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

When it comes to being attracted to someone, there has to be an initial physical component, for me at least.

I don't care how nice her personality is, I just wouldn't be attracted to someone like this:

http://www.conservapedia.com/images/thumb/a/a9/Helen_Thomas.jpg/200px-Helen_Thomas.jpg

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:46 AM

Thinking of the old Julie Brown song "I like 'em big and stupid..".

Intellect and a sense of humor are more important than beauty, but the latter sure doesn't hurt.

#5 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Gives new meaning to the phrase "She/He gives great mind".

I'm just sayin' :shrug:

#6 User is online   LongKnife 

• Don't start none, won't be none.
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

#7 User is offline   baldeagle 

• <no title>

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

View PostThePatriot, on 05 January 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

When it comes to being attracted to someone, there has to be an initial physical component, for me at least.

I don't care how nice her personality is, I just wouldn't be attracted to someone like this:

http://www.conservapedia.com/images/thumb/a/a9/Helen_Thomas.jpg/200px-Helen_Thomas.jpg

Uhhh, NOPE!

#8 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

I'm old, and I have never heard a guy declare, "wow! Just look at the brains on that one!"

Just sayin'

#9 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

As I read this story, I would think that most people are sapiosexuals anyways. I do agree that character is most important.

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 05 January 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

I'm old, and I have never heard a guy declare, "wow! Just look at the brains on that one!"

Just sayin'

Right?! :lol:

#11 User is online   LongKnife 

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

Just sayin'

Well, you never met this guy:

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4e31ab4feab8ea7351000069/heres-whats-inside-a-24000-zombie-apocalypse-survival-kit.jpg

#12 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

Brains are sexy, I'll bet you 500 quatloos it's true!

#13 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

I can look at a physically HOT woman, but if she opens her mouth and reveals that she is a dumb airhead, then the hotness disappears instantly IMO.

I don't go for dingbats, no matter how physically hot/attractive that they are.

Looks are great, but to me ladies have to be at least reasonably smart and have plenty of common sense and not allow raw emotion to over rule it!

#14 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Just sayin'

Many guys out there that are dumb (usually jocks) see smart women as a threat because they aren't as easily persuaded/manipulated by their :bs: pick up lines and cannot stand them making more money than they do.

#15 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:28 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 05 January 2018 - 03:09 AM, said:

Yes, to me intellect is every bit as important as physical attractiveness. But there's a third quality which I consider more important than both intellect and physical beauty:

Personality.

Let's face it, a person can be both gorgeous and brilliant, and still be boring as hell. Gimme a woman with a pleasant personality; a sense of humor; somebody who's fun to be around. That's the most desirable feature as far as I'm concerned.

B)

I agree that 'Personality' rounds out the Trifecta of desirable traits, but I would put in in probably the opposite order.

"Perfect" for me would be someone with Intellect to spare and 'just enough' of the other two traits. But, Beauty and Personality and short on intellect? No thanks, that describes way too many 'Hollywood' and 'Media' types.

Intellect - Give me someone who can discuss any number of topics, From the differences between M1 and M2 in the money supply, to obscure foreign films (But yet not so snooty that they can't appreciate a good Benny Hill or Monty Python sketch)(Perfect 10 is someone who can both laugh with Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) AND cry during the appropriate moments of Cinema Paradiso (Italian, 1988), Wings of Desire (German, 1987), Pasqualino Settebellezze (Italian, 1975) (In my dating days, any female not at least passingly familiar with at least 2 of the latter 3 was off the list)(Have I mentioned that I'm a card-carrying AFI member** which kinda goes with the original "Hollywood Halfwits" theme of this site?), someone who understands Feynman's Lost Lecture, and who can coherently explain why, in statistical analysis, Linear least squares regression is sometimes better than Least absolute deviations, and at least reasonably calculate an approximate fourier transform.

Beauty - A person needs to take care of what the Almighty gave them. And I appreciate that, I really do, and I can ESPECIALLY appreciate the artistry of the female form the Almighty has put before us. (Look but don't touch).

Personality. Maybe I'm WAY too soured on this. ANY NUMBER of TV "Personalities". They're all at least a 'C cup' (Hey, I'm a former strip club manager, I know a thing or two

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3c/Pasqualino_Settebellezze_1975_film_poster.jpg/220px-Pasqualino_Settebellezze_1975_film_poster.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/CinemaParadiso.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/Wingsofdesireposter.jpg/220px-Wingsofdesireposter.jpg

#16 User is offline   MADGestic 

• Trey Dae dílea
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

Do you think it's possible to note that someone is attractive without acually being attracted to them?

#17 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostMADGestic, on 05 January 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

Do you think it's possible to note that someone is attractive without acually being attracted to them?

That's a good question. Objective critiques of someone's attractiveness without actually being attracted to them????????? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

#18 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

I vote yes.
I find all sorts of people attractive without lusting after them. (That's what you meant, right?)

#19 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

In the immortal words of Rik Mayall, its the jugs that count.

#20 User is online   LongKnife 

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

I don't see how you could find someone attractive unless they attracted you. Or maybe I don't understand the question.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users