RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Trolls hijacked a scientist’s image to attack Katie Bouman. They picke - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trolls hijacked a scientist’s image to attack Katie Bouman. They picke Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

Trolls hijacked a scientist’s image to attack Katie Bouman. They picked the wrong astrophysicist.

By Tim Elfrink, The Washington Post 10:34 AM
Excerpt:

As the world stared in wonder this week at the first image of a black hole, a new star was born here on Earth: Katherine Bouman, 29, a postdoctoral researcher who developed an algorithm that was key to capturing the stunning visual.

On the ugliest corners of the Internet, however, this sudden fame for a young woman in a male-dominated field couldn’t stand. A corrective was quickly found in Andrew Chael, another member of the Event Horizon Telescope team, who, not coincidentally, is white and male.

On Reddit and Twitter, memes quickly went viral contrasting Bouman with Chael, who — per the viral images — was actually responsible for “850,000 of the 900,000 lines of code that were written in the historic black-hole image algorithm!”

The implication was clear: Bouman, pushed by an agenda-driven media, was getting all the attention. But Chael had done all the real work.

That’s completely wrong, Chael said in a viral Thursday night Twitter thread of his own. Not only are the claims in the meme flat-out incorrect, but Chael — as an openly gay man — is also part of an underrepresented demographic in his field.

“While I appreciate the congratulations on a result that I worked hard on for years, if you are congratulating me because you have a sexist vendetta against Katie, please go away and reconsider your priorities in life,” he tweeted.

It’s not clear exactly when or where the backlash against Bouman started, but Chael first caught wind of it from friends who alerted him to a Reddit post. One post on the r/pics subreddit attracted hundreds of comments and thousands of “upvotes” before it was taken down, with many criticizing Bouman at his expense, said Chael, 28, a graduate student in Harvard’s physics department. As one typical commenter complained, “Katie has been plastered everywhere as being responsible for the code but if this dude did pretty much all the work, seems kind of crappy he doesn’t get recognized.”

“It was clearly started by people who were upset that a woman had become the face of this story and decided, ‘I’m going to find someone who reflects my narrative instead,’ ” Chael said in an interview with The Washington Post.

Identical memes quickly spread across Twitter, where one typical response was: “Andrew Chael did 90% of the work. Where’s his credit?”

<snip>

More triggered Incels here

#2 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

View PostLadybird, on 12 April 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

Trolls hijacked a scientist’s image to attack Katie Bouman. They picked the wrong astrophysicist.

Excerpt:

As the world stared in wonder this week at the first image of a black hole, a new star was born here on Earth: Katherine Bouman, 29, a postdoctoral researcher who developed an algorithm that was key to capturing the stunning visual.

On the ugliest corners of the Internet, however, this sudden fame for a young woman in a male-dominated field couldn’t stand. A corrective was quickly found in Andrew Chael, another member of the Event Horizon Telescope team, who, not coincidentally, is white and male.

On Reddit and Twitter, memes quickly went viral contrasting Bouman with Chael, who — per the viral images — was actually responsible for “850,000 of the 900,000 lines of code that were written in the historic black-hole image algorithm!”

The implication was clear: Bouman, pushed by an agenda-driven media, was getting all the attention. But Chael had done all the real work.

That’s completely wrong, Chael said in a viral Thursday night Twitter thread of his own. Not only are the claims in the meme flat-out incorrect, but Chael — as an openly gay man — is also part of an underrepresented demographic in his field.

“While I appreciate the congratulations on a result that I worked hard on for years, if you are congratulating me because you have a sexist vendetta against Katie, please go away and reconsider your priorities in life,” he tweeted.

It’s not clear exactly when or where the backlash against Bouman started, but Chael first caught wind of it from friends who alerted him to a Reddit post. One post on the r/pics subreddit attracted hundreds of comments and thousands of “upvotes” before it was taken down, with many criticizing Bouman at his expense, said Chael, 28, a graduate student in Harvard’s physics department. As one typical commenter complained, “Katie has been plastered everywhere as being responsible for the code but if this dude did pretty much all the work, seems kind of crappy he doesn’t get recognized.”

“It was clearly started by people who were upset that a woman had become the face of this story and decided, ‘I’m going to find someone who reflects my narrative instead,’ ” Chael said in an interview with The Washington Post.

Identical memes quickly spread across Twitter, where one typical response was: “Andrew Chael did 90% of the work. Where’s his credit?”

<snip>

Somehow this is all Trump's fault, amiright?

#3 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

So; how many gays are actively seeking a doctorate in astrophysics, or dream of doing so? Why is it that every field has to have a certain amount of every demographic there is? Maybe most gay people don't want to be astrophysicists? Maybe there aren't a lot of black women wanting to be in astrophysics? Maybe the next story could be about how underrepresented straight white males are in the fashion industry?

#4 User is offline   bigpapa 

• Zygotista
  • Group: Gold

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

I don't get it. Was it gay men trolling the article?

#5 User is online   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

I don’t get the point at all. Ok several people worked on one thing, a woman was given all the credit, some one lied on line,,, what’s the point. I’m sure there’s a point to the post? Is it men hate and can’t give women full credit? Is it gay man not given credit? Or is it just people on the internet close minded and mean? I’m sure there’s a purpose and an opinion to posting it.

#6 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

interesting if said claims are true

Mr Chael’s twitter feed:

“So apparently some (I hope very few) people online are using the fact that I am the primary developer of the eht-imaging software library ((link: https://github.com/achael/eht-imaging) github.com/achael/eht-ima…) to launch awful and sexist attacks on my colleague and friend Katie Bouman. Stop.”

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 12 April 2019 - 07:08 PM

#7 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:03 PM

View PostTea Party Hooligan, on 12 April 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

So; how many gays are actively seeking a doctorate in astrophysics, or dream of doing so? Why is it that every field has to have a certain amount of every demographic there is? Maybe most gay people don't want to be astrophysicists? Maybe there aren't a lot of black women wanting to be in astrophysics? Maybe the next story could be about how underrepresented straight white males are in the fashion industry?

That precise argument (though the topic was women in politics) got me unfriended 3x in the space of 5 mins

#8 User is offline   LeansToTheRight 

• Dr. Elson Floyd. RIP
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:57 AM

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be outraged by here? Maybe it’s the fact that some people have way too much time on their hands?

#9 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostLadybird, on 12 April 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

Excerpt:

<snip>

Two questions for you.
1. What point are you trying to make by posting this?
2. What do you think societal reaction would be if a man achieved something great, was given credit for it, and the media made sure to point out gender?

#10 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:50 AM

View PostItalian Biker, on 13 April 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

Two questions for you.
1. What point are you trying to make by posting this?
2. What do you think societal reaction would be if a man achieved something great, was given credit for it, and the media made sure to point out gender?

Or his sexist shirt...

ShirtGate: How To Turn a Comet Landing Into a ShirtStorm

:coffeenpc:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users