RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: A 69-Year-Old Great-Grandmother Was Arrested at Disney World for Carry - RightNation.US

A 69-Year-Old Great-Grandmother Was Arrested at Disney World for Carry Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

A 69-Year-Old Great-Grandmother Was Arrested at Disney World for Carrying CBD Oil

BILLY BINION | 5.21.2019 12:21 PM

Excerpt:
Disney World—where kiddie coasters, cartoon royalty, and overpriced food options abound—is colloquially known as "The Happiest Place on Earth."

Hester Burkhalter would likely disagree. The 69-year-old great-grandmother was arrested outside of Magic Kingdom and spent 12 hours in jail last month after security officials found CBD—short for cannabidiol—oil in her purse. The compound is derived from cannabis but does not contain the psychoactive component, THC, found in marijuana.

In other words, it can't get you high. But it supposedly can alleviate a plethora of medical conditions, including joint pain and anxiety.

"I have really bad arthritis in my legs, in my arms and in my shoulder," Burkhalter tells Orlando's local Fox affiliate. "I use [CBD oil] for the pain because it helps." She reportedly had a doctor's note in her purse when security officials flagged her, but law enforcement detained her regardless.

While the charges have been dropped, Burkhalter's attorney, Ben Crump, says he plans to sue Disney and the Orange County Sheriff's Office on her behalf, alleging "illegal detention, false arrest and a violation of her civil rights," WESH 2 reports.

Her misfortune sheds light on the murky legal territory surrounding CBD use, as regulations often conflict and as people increasingly flout local restrictions on the harmless substance. The Farm Bill—signed by President Trump in 2018—legalized hemp and CBD at the federal level. In Florida, it remains illegal without a prescription, although CBD-infused cocktails and shops selling the compound continue to pop up across the Sunshine State.

<snip>

Link

#2 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

I'm sure that the world is a much safer place now that Meemaw has been busted for her pain meds? <_<

#3 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

Rock N said:

1558563150[/url]' post='685587602']
I'm sure that the world is a much safer place now that Meemaw has been busted for her pain meds? http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

That sounds a lot like, the cops acted stupidly.

#4 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:05 AM

View PostDutch13, on 22 May 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Maybe to someone with TDS?

Sounds like you are in agreement with Meemaw getting arrested for having pain meds in an amusement park? Baaad Meemaw! Baaad!

Trump is such a big ole meanie on twitter! :crybaby:

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 23 May 2019 - 03:32 AM

#5 User is offline   DJGoody 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

View PostRock N, on 22 May 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

I'm sure that the world is a much safer place now that Meemaw has been busted for her pain meds? <_<

I think before all is said and done, Meemaw is going to have a very nice Sheshed!

#6 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:33 AM

View PostRock N, on 23 May 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

Maybe to someone with TDS?

Sounds like you are in agreement with Meemaw getting arrested for having pain meds in an amusement park? Baaad Meemaw! Baaad!

Trump is such a big ole meanie on twitter! :crybaby:

I am not sure where Donald Trump fits into story. This has more to do with Obama. You are the guy that thinks the cops acted stupidly.

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

View PostDJGoody, on 23 May 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

I think before all is said and done, Meemaw is going to have a very nice Sheshed!

Indeed.
This confusion of what’s legal and for whom will only get worse until some national rules and standards are established.

I got a CBD roll on the other day. It works great for my tennis elbow.

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

View PostDutch13, on 22 May 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Well this time they really did. I realize most of the time that "police acted stupidly" accusation is pure BS, but this time they were WAY out of line.

B)

#9 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 23 May 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

Well this time they really did. I realize most of the time that "police acted stupidly" accusation is pure BS, but this time they were WAY out of line.

B)

Agreed. Sadly, fewer and fewer Officers are either allowed to or can think for themselves. This hurts both Police Officers as well as law abiding citizens.

Oki

#10 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 23 May 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

B)

https://www.wesh.com...gality/27455943

The LEO did his job. It was unfortunate for all involved, but he acted appropriately with the policies and tools he is required to work under. Do we want our LEO providing equal treatment to all citizens or do we want them selectively applying it whenever they see fit?

I am allowed to carry concealed in WV, but I know that I better do my homework about where I can carry it while I am traveling. What happens to me if I try to carry it into Disney World?

I support the use of medical marijuana, but we have a jumbled mess of laws in this country regarding them. Disney has a zero-tolerance policy on prohibited items and they have LEO on site to take care of issues.

View Postoki, on 23 May 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

Agreed. Sadly, fewer and fewer Officers are either allowed to or can think for themselves. This hurts both Police Officers as well as law abiding citizens.

Oki

We don't have enough people that have demonstrated an ability to handle that authority.......thus, they have to stick to strict protocols.

This post has been edited by Dutch13: 23 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

#11 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

View PostDutch13, on 23 May 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

The LEO did his job. It was unfortunate for all involved, but he acted appropriately with the policies and tools he is required to work under. Do we want our LEO providing equal treatment to all citizens or do we want them selectively applying it whenever they see fit?

I am allowed to carry concealed in WV, but I know that I better do my homework about where I can carry it while I am traveling. What happens to me if I try to carry it into Disney World?

I support the use of medical marijuana, but we have a jumbled mess of laws in this country regarding them. Disney has a zero-tolerance policy on prohibited items and they have LEO on site to take care of issues.

We don't have enough people that have demonstrated an ability to handle that authority.......thus, they have to stick to strict protocols.

And it keeps getting worse, not just for Police Officers but pretty much everything else. Education, I.T., across the board. In part because of a dumbing down of people, failing education, leftistm, and political corretness.

Oki

#12 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

View Postoki, on 23 May 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

And it keeps getting worse, not just for Police Officers but pretty much everything else. Education, I.T., across the board. In part because of a dumbing down of people, failing education, leftistm, and political corretness.

Oki

You are absolutely correct. We can't just assign that label to LEO's........it is true for most every job family you come across. People having video cameras in their pockets doesn't allow for it either. Every single action that a police officer makes is subject to being judged by millions of Americans......and often totally out of context.

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

View PostDutch13, on 23 May 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

Seriously? Oh come on, Dutch - Every police officer is allowed to use discretion. Remember:

1 - She bought the stuff in a local store where it was openly offered for sale (i.e. not "under-the-counter" wink-wink-nudge-nudge), which establishes that she didn't "smuggle" any "contraband" from out of the area, and that she was given no reason to suspect it might be illegal.

2 - She had a doctor's prescription for it, right there in her purse, which she showed to the officer(s) on the scene.

3 - We're talking about a substance that can't "get you high" or be "abused" anyway, no matter how much of it a person consumes.

Keeping all those facts firmly in mind, you really wanna argue that the police had no choice, no ability to use their discretion and realize this was an incredibly stupid and indefensible arrest of an obviously harmless 69-yr-old woman?

:scratch:

#14 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:16 AM

View PostDutch13, on 23 May 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

You are absolutely correct. We can't just assign that label to LEO's........it is true for most every job family you come across. People having video cameras in their pockets doesn't allow for it either. Every single action that a police officer makes is subject to being judged by millions of Americans......and often totally out of context.

Leave out a few key details, throw in a little creative editing an a narrative add in an agenda and you gotz' yourself a nice story.
I learned long ago be very careful before believing a narrative. Been burned a few times to just believe every thing.

Oki

#15 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 23 May 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

Seriously? Oh come on, Dutch - Every police officer is allowed to use discretion. Remember:

1 - She bought the stuff in a local store where it was openly offered for sale (i.e. not "under-the-counter" wink-wink-nudge-nudge), which establishes that she didn't "smuggle" any "contraband" from out of the area, and that she was given no reason to suspect it might be illegal.

2 - She had a doctor's prescription for it, right there in her purse, which she showed to the officer(s) on the scene.

3 - We're talking about a substance that can't "get you high" or be "abused" anyway, no matter how much of it a person consumes.

Keeping all those facts firmly in mind, you really wanna argue that the police had no choice, no ability to use their discretion and realize this was an incredibly stupid and indefensible arrest of an obviously harmless 69-yr-old woman?

I have learned never ever expect an Officer to be knowledgeable, much less ever listen to your explanation of anything.
To their credit some are and will, but most won't.
IE a Cop who was absolutely positive she new the law and even active duty Military Members had to register their vehicles in Oklahoma.

Oki

#16 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:07 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 23 May 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

When the officer followed protocol and used his test kit, it showed it had marijuana in it.

I am not trying to argue that it was correct or incorrect to arrest her. I wasn't there and I don't know all the facts surrounding the situation. It sounds silly to arrest her, but I am not going to sit on the internet and say the police acted stupidly as some commentators have done in the past.

This post has been edited by Dutch13: 23 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

#17 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

View Postoki, on 23 May 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

I have learned never ever expect an Officer to be knowledgeable, much less ever listen to your explanation of anything.
To their credit some are and will, but most won't.
IE a Cop who was absolutely positive she new the law and even active duty Military Members had to register their vehicles in Oklahoma.

Oki

Oh believe me, I know there are dumb, unreasonable cops out there. I've had to deal with a few myself. But I flat-out disagree with your assertion that "most" cops aren't knowledgeable and/or won't listen to explanations.

The fact is that those dumb unreasonable cops are the rare exception. Most cops are good, sensible, reasonable people whose job (i.e. to help people, do what's right, protect the innocent from those who don't do what's right, etc) isn't just a "job" to them; it's their personal goal and philosophy too. It's the way they really try to live both on and off the job. As I said, there are rare exceptions; Cops who are racist or dishonest or self-aggrandizing or just plain mean or stupid or whatever. But they are rare exceptions.

View PostDutch13, on 23 May 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

When the officer followed protocol and used his test kit, it showed it had marijuana in it.

I am not trying to argue that it was correct or incorrect to arrest her. I wasn't there and I don't know all the facts surrounding the situation. It sounds silly to arrest her, but I am not going to sit on the internet and say the police acted stupidly as some commentators have done in the past.

Well I wouldn't say it either, except that this time it's so conspicuously true.

I don't know if this will come across as a "shameful confession" or a "shameless boast", LOL, but I'd bet my last nickel I've had far more dealings with police on the street than most people, including many "touchy" situations/confrontations/stressful encounters/etc. I've found that the vast majority of cops are good, sensible people who will use their discretion and common sense in cases as obviously unwarranted as this arrest, and will let them go instead, perhaps with a warning for future behavior. This arrest definitely fits the description "police acted stupidly", and I'm not too bashful or timid to say so.

B)

#18 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 23 May 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

Oh believe me, I know there are dumb, unreasonable cops out there. I've had to deal with a few myself. But I flat-out disagree with your assertion that "most" cops aren't knowledgeable and/or won't listen to explanations.

The fact is that those dumb unreasonable cops are the rare exception. Most cops are good, sensible, reasonable people whose job (i.e. to help people, do what's right, protect the innocent from those who don't do what's right, etc) isn't just a "job" to them; it's their personal goal and philosophy too. It's the way they really try to live both on and off the job. As I said, there are rare exceptions; Cops who are racist or dishonest or self-aggrandizing or just plain mean or stupid or whatever. But they are rare exceptions.

Well I wouldn't say it either, except that this time it's so conspicuously true.

I don't know if this will come across as a "shameful confession" or a "shameless boast", LOL, but I'd bet my last nickel I've had far more dealings with police on the street than most people, including many "touchy" situations/confrontations/stressful encounters/etc. I've found that the vast majority of cops are good, sensible people who will use their discretion and common sense in cases as obviously unwarranted as this arrest, and will let them go instead, perhaps with a warning for future behavior. This arrest definitely fits the description "police acted stupidly", and I'm not too bashful or timid to say so.

B)

By knowledgeable I am speaking in general terms. Sadly the ones who are decent, do they know there job and rules are more and more being strangled by PC and departmental rules that only ends up making things worse for them as well as the very people they are trying to serve. I respect an officer who is sure they are right but at least willing to check and willing to listen, sadly there seems to be less and less of them.

Oki

#19 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

View PostDutch13, on 23 May 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

View PostMontyPython, on 23 May 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

B)

Sorry Dutch. I'm as anti-cannabis as ANYONE on the board, and I'm probably as pro-LEO as anyone, but I gotta side with Monty. The cops DID act stupidly.

Problem is, the reliability of the field tests. There are TWO that have been deemed acceptable by NIJ (National Institute of Justice, the research and certification arm of the DOJ) but both only as 'presumptive' test meaning they need to be corroborated/confirmed.

One is the so-called "KN Reagent" test. It's unreliable with, by some studies, about a 70% false-positive rate. It also requires the tester to make a "judgement call" on color, distinguishing between "tomatoe red", brown, and various possible shades od reddish-brown or brownish red depending on level of THC. This should NEVER be the basis for an arrest, without other corroborating factors being present.

Other is the so-called "Duquenois-Levine Reagant". Theoretically more accurate in general than KN test, but the manufacturers themselves warn that CBD oil will set it off. Mfr's website sez:

NARK II Duquenois-Levine Reagent (Marijuana/Hashish Hash-Oil/THC)

For Sale to Law Enforcement Only!

This presumptive test is designed to identify THC in Marijuana. Court acceptance of the Duquenois-Levine Reagent has been established through Frye Hearings and is the singularly most reliable field test manufactured. To eliminate potential false positives, always agitate the 1st ampoule sixty (60) seconds before continuing with the 2nd and 3rd ampoules. Like all our NARK II narcotic field tests, the Duquenois-Levine Reagent is meant for presumptive field drug testing. 10 tests/box.

NOTE: ALL TEST RESULTS MUST BE CONFIRMED BY AN APPROVED ANALYTICAL LABORATORY! The results of this test are merely presumptive. NARK® only tests for the possible presence of certain chemical compounds. Reactions may occur with, and such compounds can be found in, both legal and illegal products. This test must be administered following its specific instructions and may be used in conjunction with other reagents in the NARK® II Sequential Testing System.

NOTICE: NOT FOR USE WITH CBD OILS. In states where the sale of CBD (cannabinoid) oil and hemp is legal, this test should NOT BE USED as everything tested will be positive. NARK II Duquenois-Levine Reagent is a qualitative test, not quantitative. It does not distinguish between 3% or 20% THC. It only establishes that, presumptively, THC is present.

------------------------

Worth noting that's there's also several lawsuits against CBD mfrs for claiming "0% THC". Strictly speaking, that's true only if rounded down. Legal standard is less than 0.3%... which is still enough to set of the DL test.

------------------------

THAT SAID, I'm willing to consider the LEOs perspective.

Kit tests "positive". Yeah okay. Maybe it's a "false positive" per the above, OR maybe she had Hash oil and trying to claim it was "only" CBD oil. It wouldn't be the first time in history that someone tried to schnooker an LEO into believing that that an illegal substance was actually innocuous. "Yeah, you saw me do a couple of lines. But it was goody's headache powder, I have these terrible migraines." Yada, yada, yada.

------------------------

I'd like to see the totality of it all, in full context.

------------------------

Sucks that, as a small biz owner, I RARELY get that context.

#20 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

C’mon Adam and Dutch. You’re getting caught looking at the leaves and branches and can’t even see the tree let alone the forest. Why is what Monty is saying unreasonable? It’s a very simple situation. She had 1) prescription, 2) bought it locally and legally, 3) was open about and didn’t try to hide it, 4) it’s an innocuous substance.

And *I’m* one who’s been urging a slow approach to marijuana/cannibis legalization more broadly, but THIS is medicinal use, which is totally okay.

Maybe we don’t know the whole story, but if that’s the case, I think it’s more likely that we don’t know what the REAL constraints on the police were. It’s been stated that he was just following the law to the letter blah blah blah. Geez, how many times do the police let people even with small amounts of drugs walk off without more than a “be careful”? Or let underage kids with a beer can drop it and run away? All the time. Maybe the real constraint is from DISNEY. Maybe this cop KNOWS that he’d be in hell of a trouble if he’s found to not follow DISNEY protocol, forget the law.

This post has been edited by zurg: 24 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users