RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Utah teacher could face disciplinary action after forcing boy to remov - RightNation.US

Utah teacher could face disciplinary action after forcing boy to remov Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

Utah teacher could face disciplinary action after forcing boy to remove Ash Wednesday cross from his forehead
The Daily Mail - link

<excerpted>

A Utah elementary school teacher may face disciplinary action after she made a fourth-grade boy wipe off the Ash Wednesday cross on his forehead.

William McLeod arrived for class at Valley View Elementary School in Bountiful on Wednesday with the traditional Ash cross to commemorate the Christian holy day.

But William said he was the only student in his class with the cross on his forehead and that his teacher quickly came up and asked him what it was.

'I was like, "It's Ash Wednesday and I'm Catholic. It's the first day of Lent,'" William told KSTU. 'She was like, "No, it's inappropriate, go take it off."'
*snip*

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:17 PM

I truly wish I could say something like "incredible" or "unbelievable", but unfortunately I find it very believable indeed.

<_<

#3 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:32 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 March 2019 - 11:17 PM, said:

I truly wish I could say something like "incredible" or "unbelievable", but unfortunately I find it very believable indeed.

<_<

Truth.

Now for the obligatory: would she had required removal of a yarmulke or hajab?

#4 User is offline   AnnieGotHerGun 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:03 AM

As a teacher, I hope she is smart enough to know what the ash means. She can claim ignorance, I suppose. But I doubt it gets her very far.

#5 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:41 AM

I was wondering WTF was wrong with Martha MacCallum's forehead. I have never seen or heard of this practice before. :shrug:

#6 User is offline   USNJIMRET 

• Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:28 AM

View Postgrimreefer, on 08 March 2019 - 01:41 AM, said:

I was wondering WTF was wrong with Martha MacCallum's forehead. I have never seen or heard of this practice before. :shrug:

I will admit I had never seen it until I was in my early 30's in Iceland.
Guess I just wasn't around Catholics much.

#7 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:34 AM

Back in the day when I went to school, several Catholic kids wore the ashes on their forehead to class. No biggie.

But now, the public schools here in some counties don't allow it, but there has been no public outcry about it.

And remember people this happened in Utah, home of the Mormons. That probably had something to do with influencing this teacher's attitude towards this student?

#8 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:38 AM

View Postgrimreefer, on 08 March 2019 - 01:41 AM, said:

Really? On Ash Wednesday public schools excuse kids in the morning if they want to go to church first. They do in NY & NJ anyway.

Episcopalians and other protestants observe Ash Wednesday too.

#9 User is offline   Big Dave 

• ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:49 AM

View PostLadybird, on 08 March 2019 - 06:38 AM, said:

Really? On Ash Wednesday public schools excuse kids in the morning if they want to go to church first. They do in NY & NJ anyway.

We Methodists do, mostly.

#10 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:57 AM

View PostLadybird, on 08 March 2019 - 06:38 AM, said:

I vaguely knew what Ash Wednesday is, I've just never seen or heard of anyone smearing ash on their forehead for it before.

As an aside... it's kinda cool to know that I can still learn new things even at this age. :whistling:

#11 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:04 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 07 March 2019 - 11:32 PM, said:

Truth.

Now for the obligatory: would she had required removal of a yarmulke or hajab?

Nope.

#12 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

My family was Lutheran for a while when I was a kid, My dad left the Evangelical United Brethren church when they merged with Methodists to become United Methodists. This was sometime in the mid or late '60s.

I've HEARD of Ash Wednesday, don't recall the precise meaning or why the ashes.

Although, given that Ash Wednesday is the day after Mardi Gras ("Fat Tuesday"), maybe the ashes are symbolic of the sackcloth and ashes that one SHOULD be wearing in repentance of the things done the day before?

:cheer: :party: :chili: :banana:

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 08 March 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

My family was Lutheran for a while when I was a kid, My dad left the Evangelical United Brethren church when they merged with Methodists to become United Methodists. This was sometime in the mid or late '60s.

I've HEARD of Ash Wednesday, don't recall the precise meaning or why the ashes.

Although, given that Ash Wednesday is the day after Mardi Gras ("Fat Tuesday"), maybe the ashes are symbolic of the sackcloth and ashes that one SHOULD be wearing in repentance of the things done the day before?

:cheer: :party: :chili: :banana:

I was told (I grew up Episcopalian) that the ashes were made from the palms left over from Palm Sunday the year before. Thatís why they should never hit the floor or be used to swat each other in Sunday school. Donít know how accurate that is though.

#14 User is offline   Tea Party Hooligan 

• I kick puppies

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

View PostUSNJIMRET, on 08 March 2019 - 02:28 AM, said:

I will admit I had never seen it until I was in my early 30's in Iceland.
Guess I just wasn't around Catholics much.

Lutherans do it also. I know, since I are one :coolshades:

#15 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

I was an adult before I ever heard of the practice and I think I saw it on a TV show or in a movie. I have never seen anyone in real life participate in this. (And I have always lived in California and have known many Catholics and Lutherans.) So I'm willing to accept that this Utah teacher just thought the child had smudged a cross on his face.

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 08 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

#16 User is offline   spt 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:19 AM

I presently go to the Baptist church and we observe Ash Wednesday. When we receive the ashes we can choose hand or forehead. It is to remind up to be humble and to humble ourselves before God and remind us of the sacrifice that Christ gave on the cross. This starts the season of Lent. Ashes for humbleness, Cross for Christ's sacrifice. When they are placed on us we are told "from dust you came and to dust you shall return." It a very poignant and moving service to attend.

#17 User is offline   DJGoody 

• <no title>

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

View PostLadybird, on 08 March 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

I was told (I grew up Episcopalian) that the ashes were made from the palms left over from Palm Sunday the year before. Thatís why they should never hit the floor or be used to swat each other in Sunday school. Donít know how accurate that is though.

I remember a few nuns smacking us upside the head at school/church for using palm leaves as weapons. HAHAHA!

#18 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

Maybe because I grew up in a small town and the Catholic school was right across the street from the public school, but it was very common to see half the kids in town running around with the ash cross. Everyone knew why and no one gave the kids a second thought. I don't know if it's less common than it used to be that so many don't know about it or that, like I said, small town and school proximity. http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/erst060.gif

#19 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 08 March 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

I was an adult before I ever heard of the practice and I think I saw it on a TV show or in a movie. I have never seen anyone in real life participate in this. (And I have always lived in California and have known many Catholics and Lutherans.) So I'm willing to accept that this Utah teacher just thought the child had smudged a cross on his face.

I agree it's possible she just didn't know. HOWEVER, that said, after the kid explained it to her, she had no excuse to call it "inappropriate" and make him wash it off.

B)

#20 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 08 March 2019 - 09:44 AM, said:

I agree it's possible she just didn't know. HOWEVER, that said, after the kid explained it to her, she had no excuse to call it "inappropriate" and make him wash it off.

B)

I'm willing to wait a little. I've taught school. If this kid was a trouble maker, or if his tone was mocking when he said it--then it is different. I agree with you if her "history" with this child indicated he was telling the truth. But, I've known some kids that I wouldn't trust if they told me the sky were blue. Just sayin'.

(But I've also known some pretty ignorant Utahans. So you could be complete on target.)

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 08 March 2019 - 10:21 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users