RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Florida sixth-grader charged with misdemeanor - RightNation.US

Florida sixth-grader charged with misdemeanor after refusing to recite Pledge of Allegiance Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   That_Guy 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:55 PM

Florida sixth-grader charged with misdemeanor after refusing to recite Pledge of Allegiance
by Kristine Phillips
FEBRUARY 17, 2019

A student from a Tampa suburb is facing misdemeanor charges after an apparent confrontation with his teacher who wanted him to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

The 11-year-old refused to recite the pledge, telling his teacher that he believes the flag is racist and America’s national anthem is offensive to black people, according to a Bay News 9 report that cited a statement that the teacher gave to district officials. The teacher, who was substituting at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in Lakeland, Fla., then had what appeared to be a contentious exchange with the sixth-grader.

If living in the United States “was so bad,” why not go to another place to live? the teacher asked the student, according to the statement cited by Bay News 9.

“They brought me here,” the boy replied.

The teacher responded by saying, “Well you can always go back, because I came here from Cuba, and the day I feel I’m not welcome here anymore, I would find another place to live.”

<snip>

The student was later charged with disruption of a school facility and resisting an officer without violence, Gary Gross, a spokesman for the Lakeland Police Department, told The Washington Post. Gross said the agency can’t release further information because the student is a minor.

The Pledge of Allegiance and the national anthem have been an increased source of tension after critics, including President Trump, denounced former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick for taking a knee during the anthem, an act to protest racial injustice and police brutality. But many also followed Kaepernick’s lead and defended his right to free speech and to protest.

<snip>

District spokesman Kyle Kennedy told the Ledger that the Florida student was arrested for being “disruptive and refusing to follow repeated instructions” from an officer and school officials — and not for refusing to recite the pledge. Doing so is voluntary, Kennedy said. In fact, the Supreme Court ruled in 1943 in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that schools cannot require students to salute the flag or recite the pledge, citing First Amendment rights.

<snip>

The student’s mother, Dhakira Talbot, was not immediately available for comment Sunday, but she told Bay News 9 that the teacher was wrong and the school overstepped its authority by taking her son to a juvenile detention center. The child was suspended for three days following the Feb. 4 incident.

“I’m upset. I’m angry. I’m hurt. More so for my son. My son has never been through anything like this. I feel like this should’ve been handled differently,” Talbot told the TV station. “I want the charges dropped, and I want the school to be held accountable for what happened because it shouldn’t have been handled the way it was handled.”

An arrest affidavit cited by Bay News 9 says that the student repeatedly called school officials racist and threatened to beat the teacher. Talbot denied those accusations.

Kennedy declined to discuss the student’s discipline with local media outlets.

LINK

This post has been edited by That_Guy: 18 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

#2 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

Student deserves a "Swift Application of the Board of Education to the Seat of Knowledge".

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IMlyr5DDsLY/TLPGvCceIfI/AAAAAAAAEbw/ooy3nETlkR0/s1600/Paddle.jpg

(And check out the garb the paddler is wearing. I got 25c that says its one of my former Quaker teachers.)

#3 User is online   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

Soooo.... which minority is going to the victim here? The Cuban teacher or the black kid? Also, know where does an 11 year learn that the flag and pledge are racist? Gee I wonder.... Plus, I'd say that teacher knows something about REAL OPPRESSION. Not the type you imagine because you gotta' blame someone for your laziness and cranial rectal insertion syndrome.

Oki

#4 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:43 PM

When the headline states “....charged....after refusing to....”, the clear implication and intention of the headline is to imply causality. I know it says “after” and not “because of”, but almost all will initially read it to mean causality.

Later on in the article the truth comes out: the arrest and charge came, not after refusing to do or not do something relating to the pledge or the flag, but after being disruptive and not following instructions - not of the teacher - but of law enforcement.

Arrrgghh I hate these leftist scumbags. They have two life positions: dead and aLIEve.

#5 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like a little <censored> with <censored> parents.

I’d be embarrassed to post this if I were black.

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

View Postzurg, on 18 February 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

When the headline states “....charged....after refusing to....”, the clear implication and intention of the headline is to imply causality. I know it says “after” and not “because of”, but almost all will initially read it to mean causality.

Later on in the article the truth comes out: the arrest and charge came, not after refusing to do or not do something relating to the pledge or the flag, but after being disruptive and not following instructions - not of the teacher - but of law enforcement.

Arrrgghh I hate these leftist scumbags. They have two life positions: dead and aLIEve.

ROFL!

I wonder if the opening poster even bothered to read it first.

:rolleyes:

#7 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

I think TG’s point is that here we have an incident involving law enforcement and a black individual - and no shots were fired, and no one was injured.

Feel good story of the day, eh TG? :yes:

#8 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

The headline is definitely misleading (a lie) and it's on purpose.

But to call the police and arrest/charge the kid for a crime for this is pure :bs:. This is not a crime and I doubt that he was being "disruptive" for merely having a difference in opinion even if I don't agree with his stupid ignorant opinion.

He's got the right to refuse to say the pledge and also is fair game for any ridicule that he receives from the other students because of his opinion.

If he was really being disruptive then why not the usual disciplinary actions such as suspension, staying after school, extra homework, etc.? Because simply being disruptive in school is not a criminal offense nor does it warrant any action from the police.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 18 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

#9 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

View PostRock N, on 18 February 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

But to call the police and arrest/charge the kid for a crime for this is pure :bs:. This is not a crime and I doubt that he was being "disruptive" for merely having a difference in opinion even if I don't agree with his stupid ignorant opinion.

He's got the right to refuse to say the pledge and also is fair game for any ridicule that he receives from the other students because of his opinion.

If he was really being disruptive then why not the usual disciplinary actions such as suspension, staying after school, extra homework, etc.? Because simply being disruptive in school is not a criminal offense nor does it warrant any action from the police.

It USED TO BE that way, back in our day... and then the principal would have called my parents and then I'd gotten it 2X when I got home.

These days? Not so much. If the misbehaving student is a 'minority' and you're not? Take a deep breath, step back, and call the cops. OR have your career ruined. (And by 'minority' I don't mean Koreans or Eskimos, who don't seem to have a quarrel with 'discipline'. But others do.)

Sucks that it has to be this way - and i'm sure LEOs have better things to do - but certain communities have brought this down on their own heads.

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

Good lord. I agree with RRRW completely.

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:16 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 18 February 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

It USED TO BE that way, back in our day... and then the principal would have called my parents and then I'd gotten it 2X when I got home.

These days? Not so much. If the misbehaving student is a 'minority' and you're not? Take a deep breath, step back, and call the cops. OR have your career ruined. (And by 'minority' I don't mean Koreans or Eskimos, who don't seem to have a quarrel with 'discipline'. But others do.)

Sucks that it has to be this way - and i'm sure LEOs have better things to do - but certain communities have brought this down on their own heads.

Misbehaving? He refused to stand for the pledge. The teacher was perturbed by this, but if she had let him keep his seat, there wouldn't have been a disturbance. Why should the boy have been disciplined in the first place?

#12 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:58 PM

good little apparatchik

View PostLadybird, on 18 February 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

It happens :D

I'm with you both as well.

#13 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like someone's folks need a little extra scratch and decided to get diddums all fired up to create a situation that would grab attention.

#14 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:53 AM

Sounds like the little <censored> is a future troublemaker, a future Antifa/BLM member.

#15 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:56 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 18 February 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

Student deserves a "Swift Application of the Board of Education to the Seat of Knowledge".

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IMlyr5DDsLY/TLPGvCceIfI/AAAAAAAAEbw/ooy3nETlkR0/s1600/Paddle.jpg

(And check out the garb the paddler is wearing. I got 25c that says its one of my former Quaker teachers.)

:exactly:

If corporal punishment was still in schools, believe me the kid's wouldn't be smarting off like they are today.

Nothing new of the O_P.

View Posterp, on 18 February 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

Sounds like a little <censored> with <censored> parents.

I’d be embarrassed to post this if I were black.

Yep, just a smart mouthed little <censored> with a future in Black Lies Matter.

#16 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:44 AM

Time for another beer summit.

#17 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:51 AM

View PostLadybird, on 18 February 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Might have to check the weather in Hades because I agree with RnRRW AND you!!

;)

#18 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:26 AM

View Postzurg, on 18 February 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

Yup. You have to get to almost the end of the article before you get to the REAL reason(s) for the arrest:

District spokesman Kyle Kennedy told the Ledger that the Florida student was arrested for being “disruptive and refusing to follow repeated instructions” from an officer and school officials

The student was later charged with disruption of a school facility and resisting an officer without violence, Gary Gross, a spokesman for the Lakeland Police Department, told The Washington Post.

An arrest affidavit cited by Bay News 9 says that the student repeatedly called school officials racist and threatened to beat the teacher.

#19 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:29 AM

A swift kick in the butt for arrogance and childlike stupidity, sure, but a crime? I remember as a kid that if another kid had a different set of opinions or even a different religious belief, they had the option of leaving the class or anything else. The other kids may say something, so what? The kid may have come from a JW or Buddhist family and their beliefs were respected, even though others may talk, no one should force another person to change their beliefs. Was I reading this article right?

#20 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

Sixth graders can easily get to be 5'8+, 200lbs., and even a 100lb. girl can cause damage. Combine threats of violence and disorderly conduct with no-tolerance policies and this is what you get.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users