RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Cauliflower Pizza Crust - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cauliflower Pizza Crust Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:59 PM

That's right, you read that right: Pizza crust made from cauliflower. I've just read that our local pizza place ("The Pizza Factory") is offering pizza on cauliflower crust.

Sounds just strange enough that my GF & I are going to get one, probably tomorrow. Can't afford it, LOL, but just can't get over the burning curiosity.

So I have a question for the congregation: Has anybody here ever had a cauliflower-crust pizza? Was it good?

:scratch:

#2 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:15 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 14 September 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

That's right, you read that right: Pizza crust made from cauliflower. I've just read that our local pizza place ("The Pizza Factory") is offering pizza on cauliflower crust.

Sounds just strange enough that my GF & I are going to get one, probably tomorrow. Can't afford it, LOL, but just can't get over the burning curiosity.

So I have a question for the congregation: Has anybody here ever had a cauliflower-crust pizza? Was it good?

Belling ham or Blaine? I could understand the demand in a college town but not really the little border town.

#3 User is offline   Engineer Bill 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

I have tried it due to the fact that I am a type II diabetic, it was supposed to be lower in carbs! It was ok but nothing spectacular in taste, some benefit in keeping the blood sugar lower. Still rather just go with the thin crust and a low carb beer!

#4 User is offline   LeansToTheRight 

• Dr. Elson Floyd. RIP

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

Iíve never had in a restaurant, but Iíve had a few different brands of frozen bought from local supermarket. At a friends house was the first time. Crust was delicious, couldnít tell it was cauliflower. Could tell it was ďdifferentĒ, but it was good. Canít remember the brand. (Spoiler alert: canít remember the brand of the others either! Ha!). 2 others (definitely different brands, and different from the first I had at my friends house) were terrible. Crust didnít hold very well on one, both tasted weird.

I know not being able to remember the brand names doesnít help much here. :)

#5 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:54 PM

Careful with that...According to AOC, Cauliflower is a symbol of colonialism.

#6 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:01 PM

We've made it before. Its not breadlike at all, but it is a low carb alternative, and if you're diabetic, gluten intolerant, or trying to manage weight through carb management, it works. I actually prefer chicken crust, something we've made and a local pizza place now uses. You take ground chicken, squeeze out as much juice as you can with a cheese cloth or paper towel, add grated Parmesan and an egg. Holds up pretty well to sauce and toppings

ETA: I think cauliflower does better in other things to reduce calories/carbs/sugars. Whipped cauliflower works well as a mashed potato substitute, and we make a shepherd's pie with it. Riced cauliflower done right works amazingly in things. We do two different fried "rices," one with chicken and Asian veggies, and one with chorizo and Mexican veggies and a really good cilantro lime cauli "rice."

#7 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

I have tried it a couple of times, as a frozen and also in one of these places that prep the pizza and you tell them in an assembly line format what you want, all good and fresh.

I liked it, taste wise itís pretty comparable to regular crust, but it left me feeling a bit bloated, which is the opposite of what it was supposed to do... LOL

ETA: if you can find the ďcauliflower fried riceĒ in the grocery store frozen food section, thatís pretty good (and no bloating for me).

This post has been edited by zurg: 14 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

#8 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:17 PM

My brother made a cauliflower pizza crust pizza a few months ago from a pre-packaged kit from the store to try to avoid gluten.

I tried it, didn't care for it as it was very dry, brittle and extra crunchy, very "airy" and loose density, sorta like a deep fried pork rind texture? The actual taste was not great but was not bad either. :shrug:

I'm sure that a professional pizzeria made cauliflower crust pizza would be much better?

For those with health problems that could benefit some enjoyment with this alternative, I guess that this is better than having no pizza at all?

Other than that, I will stick to Pizza Hut or a couple of local based pizzerias here that are even better with the traditional crust.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 14 September 2019 - 10:32 PM

#9 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:26 PM

Iíve had it. Itís not bad.

#10 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:44 AM

Had cauliflower gnocci this evening to soothe my vegan cousin while she visits me here in Idaho...

There is nothing that can take the place of the ORIGINAL product in terms of taste and texture...

#11 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:14 AM

Thanks everybody for all the responses. We're definitely going to try it.

Magic R - It's right here in Blaine, though I imagine it could be found somewhere in Bellingham too.

Natural S - That AOC comment is mind-boggling. Or at least would be if I wasn't already aware of the depth of her stupidity.

As for any of the "health" angles (carbs, diabetes, calories, sugars, gluten, etc), I'm not concerned with any of that stuff. Probably should be, but I'm not.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

:wave:

#12 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:21 AM

I eat Gluten Free Pizza crusts, they are made with all kinds of things, just not sure if that disgusting vegetable is in them.

#13 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:25 AM

View PostNatural Selection, on 14 September 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

Careful with that...According to AOC, Cauliflower is a symbol of colonialism.

Is it because they look like little crowns? This woman is beyond stupid.

#14 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:38 AM

I've generally found that things that are supposed to be replacements for other things, say carbs, like pasta or pizza crust, are so abominable that you're better off just avoiding said item completely except for the occasional splurge.

#15 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

We just got back from the Pizza Factory. My report:

Meh. It was good, but not worth the extra cost. Couldn't really tell much difference from a regular bread crust.

:shrug:

#16 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:56 PM

View PostSeverian, on 15 September 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

I've generally found that things that are supposed to be replacements for other things, say carbs, like pasta or pizza crust, are so abominable that you're better off just avoiding said item completely except for the occasional splurge.

That's how it goes. You know what you like and are used to. For any reason it is phased out or more common that you're taste buds change.

Smell and taste are strongest memories. I can still smell the lilac bush that was in the corner of our backyard when I was 8, the oil that spilled on the garage floor when my dad and brother worked on the crankshaft of an AMC Gremlin when I was 15, and the taste of a Quizno's meatball sandwich when I signed the lease on my first apartment the day that I was hired by Lori at Union Pacific.

Full confession: Kind of goes downhill from there.

#17 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, smell is a very strong memory stimulant. Certain smells take me right back to events in the past. Music is probably second, I can be sitting out in a restaurant when an old song comes over the speakers, low, and I just suddenly remember an event associated with that song, more often than not involving a member of the opposite sex.

I think the only thing I've found that does work as a replacement for some things is shirataki noodles. They're made from I think konju, a root vegetable that apparently when made into noodles or faux rice has essentially no nutritional value at all, it's a fiber/starch that is not digested or such. In soups, either the fake rice or noodles work well, and in certain Asian stir fries, as they resemble clear rice noodles very much in texture and taste.

Other than that I've not found anything useful. We tried CarbQuick, a Bisquick substitute, but lord. Whatever fiber they use to replace flour tears me up, and it doesn't even taste good, the texture and taste are awful. But man, bloating and gas and cramps. Ugh.

#18 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

View PostSeverian, on 15 September 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

Yes. ĎRicedí cauliflower is a thing now too. It tastes like cauliflower to me, which I donít care for. If itís smothered in gravy it can be convincing as a form of rice, I suppose..
No thanks on the pizza.

#19 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

I hope my ancestors come back from the afterlife to haunt who ever invented this. And if they are Italian, they must have descended from the far northern Italians, like an area close the border with France.

#20 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

View PostItalian Biker, on 17 September 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

I hope my ancestors come back from the afterlife to haunt who ever invented this. And if they are Italian, they must have descended from the far northern Italians, like an area close the border with France.

It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't "better" than regular crust. Cost more, and we couldn't justify the extra expense, since we couldn't taste any difference.

Well lemme clarify: I took one bite of crust alone and tasted a very slight difference. Scraped off all the meat, veggies, cheese and even sauce and took one bite of the crust. It still tasted like regular bread crust at first, but after a couple chews I finally tasted just the slightest hint of cauliflower. But with all the regular toppings in place there was no discernible taste difference.

:shrug:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users