RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The Boomers Ruined Everything - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Boomers Ruined Everything The mistakes of the past are fast creating a crisis for younger Americ Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

The Boomers Ruined Everything
The mistakes of the past are fast creating a crisis for younger Americans.
JUN 24, 2019
Lyman Stone, Research fellow at the Institute for Family Studies
The Atlantic

<More Laughs And "It's Not My Fault" Here>

The Baby Boomers ruined America. That sounds like a hyperbolic claim, but it's one way to state what I found as I tried to solve a riddle. American society is going through a strange set of shifts: Even as cultural values are in rapid flux, political institutions seem frozen in time. The average U.S. state constitution is more than 100 years old. We are in the third-longest period without a constitutional amendment in American history: The longest such period ended in the Civil War. So what's to blame for this institutional aging?

One possibility is simply that Americans got older. The average American was 32 years old in 2000, and 37 in 2018. The retiree share of the population is booming, while birth rates are plummeting. When a society gets older, its politics change. Older voters have different interests than younger voters: Cuts to retiree-focused benefits are scarier, while long-term problems such as excessive student debt, climate change, and low birth rates are more easily ignored.

But it's not just aging. In a variety of different areas, the Baby Boom generation created, advanced, or preserved policies that made American institutions less dynamic. In a recent report for the American Enterprise Institute, I looked at issues including housing, work rules, higher education, law enforcement, and public budgeting, and found a consistent pattern: The political ascendancy of the Boomers brought with it tightening control and stricter regulation, making it harder to succeed in America. This lack of dynamism largely hasn't hurt Boomers, but the mistakes of the past are fast becoming a crisis for younger Americans.

Zoning codes in America have their roots in the early 1900s. Some land-use rules arose out of efforts to manage growing density in cities due to industrialization and new construction technologies that allowed taller buildings. But most zoning was intended to protect property values for homeowners, or to exclude certain racial groups. For many decades, though, zoning codes were relatively limited in scope.

Stricter zoning rules began to be implemented in many places in the 1940s and 1950s as suburbanization began. But then things got worse in the 1960s to 1980s. This shift is reflected in the increasing frequency with which various land-use associated words were used in Google's database of American English-language publications. These decades, when the political power of the Baby Boomer generation was rapidly rising, saw a sharp escalation in land-use rules.

There's debate about why this is: Some researchers say the end of formal segregation may have pushed some voters to look for informal methods of enforcing segregation. Others suggest that a change in financial returns to different classes of investment caused homeowners to become more protective of their asset values.

Today, strict land-use rulesówhether framed as rules about parking, green space, height limits, neighborhood aesthetics, or historic preservationómake new construction difficult. Even as the American population has doubled since the 1940s, it has gotten more and more legally challenging to build houses. The result is that younger Americans are locked out of suitable housing. And as I've argued previously, when young people have to rent or live in more crowded housing, they tend to postpone the major personal events marking transformation into settled adulthood, such as marriage and childbearing.

But, of course, Boomers didn't only make rules that nudge young people out of homeownership. They also made new rules restricting young people's employment. Laws and rules requiring workers to have special licenses, degrees, or certificates to work have proliferated over the past few decades. And while much of this rise came before Boomers were politically active, instead of reversing the trend, they extended it.

Just as tight land-use rules make existing homeowners richer by reducing how many new houses are listed on the market, strict licensing rules make existing workers richer by reducing competition in their fields. And while some industries clearly need licensing rules for health and safety reasons, most of the growth in licensure has been in fields where health and safety justifications are less salient: Do you really need hours of course work and special exams to be a florist, an interior designer, or an auctioneer?

(snip)

<More Laughs And "It's Not My Fault" Here>

#2 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

Low birth rates? Why is that a problem if the planet is so overpopulated?

#3 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

This article is so full of <censored> and then blames everything on racism. What an idiot.

#4 User is offline   Kilmerfan 

• Ah hell I still like Mel.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

I blame battle of the network stars....

#5 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

I'd be angry too if my parents named me Lyman

#6 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

He should have saved us from this pointless drivel and simply said three words:

"ORANGE MAN BAD!!!!!"

View PostTikk, on 25 June 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

I'd be angry too if my parents named me Lyman

:yes:

#7 User is online   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

Let me try to understand this. It is the fault of the GI bill that jobs require a college degree, and not the fact that public education has been dumbed down so much that high school diploma is not worth the paper it is printed on.

#8 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:29 PM

View PostJoe the Pagan, on 25 June 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

Let me try to understand this. It is the fault of the GI bill that jobs require a college degree, and not the fact that public education has been dumbed down so much that high school diploma is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Trumpís fault.

#9 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 25 June 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

Low birth rates? Why is that a problem if the planet is so overpopulated?

I would think boomers, women anyway, are past childbearing age so how is low birth rates their fault? Maybe younger women, who the boomers gave birth to, should quit killing the next generation in the wombs.

This post has been edited by USNRETWIFE: 25 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

#10 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

View Postzurg, on 25 June 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

This article is so full of <censored> and then blames everything on racism. What an idiot.

Your comment saves me from bothering to read it. Thank you. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 25 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

#11 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

View PostJoe the Pagan, on 25 June 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

Oh did I catch hell from the everyoneshouldgotocollege crowd when I brought this up on social media....

#12 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:29 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 25 June 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

Your comment saves me from bothering to read it. Thank you. :thumbsup:

I'm not one to blurt out "stopped right there!" when I recognize an article from a liberal/leftist source because I realize even they can be useful and educational under the right circumstances.

In this case, seeing that this piece originates from The Atlantic should save everyone the tiome and trouble of reading it.

#13 User is online   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

I've heard it said that every generation of old people complains about every generation that comes after it ("These kids today..."). The article (or at least the excerpt) unwittingly hints that every young generation complains about its parents' generation, too. In fact, Boomers were particularly famous for that, and weren't they supposedly responsible for the civil rights movement and loosening of societal mores beginning in the 60s? Now they're reimagined as the ones with the pressure hoses and police dogs?

#14 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 26 June 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

I've heard it said that every generation of old people complains about every generation that comes after it ("These kids today..."). The article (or at least the excerpt) unwittingly hints that every young generation complains about its parents' generation, too. In fact, Boomers were particularly famous for that, and weren't they supposedly responsible for the civil rights movement and loosening of societal mores beginning in the 60s? Now they're reimagined as the ones with the pressure hoses and police dogs?

I do believe that's called irony :D

View PostLiz, on 26 June 2019 - 02:29 AM, said:

I'm not one to blurt out "stopped right there!" when I recognize an article from a liberal/leftist source because I realize even they can be useful and educational under the right circumstances.

In this case, seeing that this piece originates from The Atlantic should save everyone the tiome and trouble of reading it.

:yeahthat:

#15 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 26 June 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

View PostHowsithangin, on 26 June 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

I do believe that's called irony :D

And karma...

#16 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:23 AM

The Boomers Ruined Everything

We did it on purpose...

;)

#17 User is offline   Physics Hunter 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:59 AM

This Boomer helped bring you the F15E and Drones.

Thank me very much.

#18 User is online   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:29 AM

View PostPhysics Hunter, on 29 June 2019 - 12:59 AM, said:

Thank me very much.

...and donít forget about

http://www.quickmeme...d5b8c1f5755.jpg

#19 User is online   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:31 AM

View PostPhysics Hunter, on 29 June 2019 - 12:59 AM, said:

Thank me very much.

Live in St. Louis?

#20 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostBuckwheat Jones, on 29 June 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

...and donít forget about

http://www.quickmeme...d5b8c1f5755.jpg

Yeah, Reagan destroyed the Worker's Paradise of the USSR, damn him!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users