RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Your Stories of 9-11-2001 - RightNation.US

• 2 Pages +

Your Stories of 9-11-2001

#21 User is offline   oda-bea 

• Blieb!
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

My parents were visiting friends in Europe at the time...the news that was reported from the USA was not being translated correctly. My parents, who speak more than one language were angered by the European slant and dishonesty. The European media were simply not reporting the truth, much like the liberal media does. My parents had to defend the USA and speak up for their country to many ignorant and arrogant Europeans, they could hardly wait to come home. People would say to them, 'but you were born here, you were not born in America',
to which my parents would reply that, 'The United States of America is not the country of our birth, something no one can control, but it is the country that we love and chose to call home.'

Someone posted, either here or somewhere else, the new name for Europe...Eurabia. As silly as this might sound to some...it might not be too far from the truth, if one can believe the many
foriegn stories written about the cultural and religious improvements they believe they are making. On our worst day, the US is still better than Europe, etc., on their best.

God Bless America.

#22 User is offline   pict 

• If you expect a PC response, forget it!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

I was driving to work very early in the morning listening to music on the radio. I changed channels and heard the news broadcast about the towers being hit.

I honestly thought it was an advertisment for an upcoming movie since it was so astonishing. It was a couple of minutes before I realized it was real, when I got to one of the bridges crossing the San Francisco Bay, security was already in play and the traffic was backed up. Many people were heading back home.

I plodded on and once accross the bay, one of my colleagues at work called me on my cell and she asked if I'd heard the news? We discussed it over the phone until I arrived on the job.

When I arrived no work was being done, obviously. The contractors staff and subcontractors were all listening to their radios or on the internet.

In the field conference room myself and my workmates set up a TV and spent the morning watching the scene, the towers were still burning.

A couple of us had a fair idea the towers were going to come down but we didn't say anything, the atmosphere was too tense so we whispered between ourselves.

We watched the towers collapse and it was a sobering experience and everyone was astonished, even amongst those of us who were waiting for it to happen. I went home early.

This post has been edited by pict: 10 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

#23 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

I packed my clothes and went to NY to help the FDNY anyway I could

#24 User is offline   katnapper 

• Obama: America's first TIC
  • View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

I got up and went to take my car in to the shop to get some work don on it. I no longer remember what I was going to have done. There was another car already there and one of the mechanics had not shown up so I had to wait. After a while I got up and walked to a K-Mart which was a short distance down the street. They were remodeling it so the television section was down. I wandered into the radio department and turned on a radio and heard something about a hijacking but was not interested thinking it was a non-story (meaning it had happened somewhere else) and turned it off. I wandered into bedding and finally I got into the check out with a few items. There was a woman in front of me and she asked me if I had heard what had happened. I said no and she told me that someone had hijacked jetliners and had flown them into both towers and the Pentagon. I looked at her in disbelief and I called her a liar basically. I said no way would anyone be that stupid to attack our country that way and incur our rage. Didn't they know that they would pay? She insisted it was true. So I walked back to the shop as fast as I could shaken as hell and picked up my car and went home. I spent the rest of the day watching the carnage crying and praying. I do not think I have ever prayed so hard in my life. When the towers came down I just stood in my living room and screamed. The weeks after 9/11 were really hard on me even though I did not know anyone who had died. I could not understand why anyone would hate us so much that they would want to kill three thousand plus innocent people and I could not understand where that hate came from. Having watched the people in other countries celebrating our demise I was angry and I wanted to nuke them, immediately. I felt helpless and I hate that feeling. I wanted President Bush to declare war immediately and blow the people who had done this to us to kingdom come.

This post has been edited by katnapper: 10 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

#25 User is offline   TXRfan 

• <no title>

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

I woke up that morning before my wife. I was surfing the web reading the morning news. I had turned the TV on and they were talking about a fire at the WTC. Needless to say, a little while later the second plane went in and it was abundantly clear what was going on and the world had changed.

I was supposed to wake her up that morning but decided not to. I wanted her to have a few more moments of the world as it was. She woke up just before the first tower fell.

I did go into work, but didn't get much done (neither did my coworkers). I remember people in our break room crying while watching the TV. I also remember waiting and donating at the Red Cross blood donation center with hundreds of other people that night. The rest of the day is kind of a blur to me now.

Several of my coworkers were in Dallas. They kept their rental cars and carpooled back to Houston. Some were in the air when it happened and were turned around in the air.

I do remember being about as angry as I had ever been, and had I had the chance, I could have turned the ME into glass that day. I don't think I was alone in feeling this way.

-Mike

#26 User is offline   RightIsRight 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

I had just arrived at work in the Chelsea section in Manhattan. As I sipped my coffee and fired up my computer for the start of another day one of my co-workers came into the office and said that a plane had just hit the twin towers. He had left his apartment in Battery Park shortly before and had heard the news on the radio in the taxi. As he looked out of the rear window of the taxi he could see the smoke rising. Shocked we both ran into the conference room and turned on the TV. All the stations were reporting the news and speculating: was it an accident, terrorism, etc. In my mind I immediately felt that it was terrorism. The next hit confirmed this. People continued to file into work and into the conference room to watch the TV. People were crying and trying to call home and friends.

After awhile I walked outside with another co-worker. From the front of our building we could see the towers and see them burning and the smoke rising. We just stood there in disbelief taking it all in. Then it happened. You could see the South tower start to shake and vibrate and right before our eyes it went down shooting huge plumes of smoke into the air. What the hell just happened? It collapsed? It couldn’t have collapsed. My co-worker and I just stared at each other in complete shock. We didn’t really say anything. We both just shook our heads. I thought to myself thousands of people just died.

We went back into the building. The next few hours we stayed glued to the TV. I wanted to go home but the city was shut down. Nothing moving in our out. Finally in the afternoon the train service to New Jersey started. I made my way up to Penn Station. The station was packed and eerily quiet. Thousands of people all in shock. I will never forget how quiet it was. Eventually I got on a train headed home. The train was packed and again very quiet. As the train came out of the tunnel under the Hudson River, in almost perfect unison everyone’s head turned to the left to look at the smoke rising from where the trade centers used to stand. It was a very surreal experience. Nodoby said anything. I will never forget that day.

This post has been edited by RightIsRight: 11 September 2008 - 07:57 AM

#27 User is offline   Timothy 

• <no title>

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

I was in 8th grade English class when I first got the news when my teacher said what had happened. It was close to the end of class and I got on a computer to email my mom asking if my older sister, who lived in Manhattan at the time (though not in that part of Manhattan), was ok. I tried to get news all day on the internet, but unlike some teachers, mine didn't have the news on. When I got home my mom immediately told me my sister was alright, my mom had just gotten home from substitute teaching and heard my sister on the answering machine saying she was alright. It was because of this that my got a cell phone, as she had been very worried not being able to get in contact with my sister all day. She kept the recording of my sister's message on the answering machine for months. We were all glued to the television that evening, and I remember that being the only news item on for days.

We went to New York City that winter to see my sister, partially to comfort ourselves by really seeing her in person.

#28 User is offline   Jax 

• Big Cat
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:59 PM

Link to Ilja's Thread

Link to Tilly's Story

#29 User is offline   shoelifters 

• <no title>

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:04 AM

I don't have a great story. I was a bit shocked I guess like most Americans.
Strange out where I live to see no skyliners in the night sky for awhile after the attacks.
Seems like the smoldering smoke from the twin towers lasted for months...
I was inspired in the aftermath by the heroes that are ordinary Americans. usflag.gif Thank you!!
I'll never forget, Americans have mettle!! 911.gif

#30 User is offline   FS3 

• <no title>

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

Dublin, thank you for creating this thread.

I have always loved New York City; always will. It's my favorite City to visit and I've visited many times.

I was in NYC in May of 2001 on business. Stayed at the Newark Hilton for 3 days and took the train the WTC stop, each morning. I was completely fascinated not only by the Towers (ever since seeing them as a kid and laying on my back on the sidewalk to get this photo)

..........but I was fascinated at the world of activity underground - beneath the Towers. After 9.11.01 I was so disappointed that with all the post 9/11 coverage, that there was very little said about the world beneath the Towers. It was a like a small city under there with a maze of winding walkways and escalators and hurried activities of people and vendors and retail and food. The Towers were a great excitement to me - from the very top at 'Windows on the World' to the far reaches of the small city beneath the Towers. My thoughts and prayers will never diminish for the people in the Towers that morning, but also of those beneath the Towers (very few, hopefully). I bought a slice of pizza each day there in that city beneath the Towers, and a big white T-shirt with huge letters "NEW YORK CITY" printed on the front. I've never yet worn that shirt and it hangs in my closet as some kind of sadly quiet memorial piece to the world beneath the Towers.

Back in California, the Howard Stern Show on my clock radio woke me at about 6:10 am on Sept 11, 2001. Robin said "Howard, there's a report that a plane has hit the World Trade Center Tower"..........from that point on, Stern gave the most compelling coverage of 9/11 compared to any news broadcast - live - from right up the street. Then the World changed forever.........

I'll never forget my subsequent visit in November of that year; talking with so many people who were there that day - from Cabbies to Bartenders to Wall Street folk. Then the drama of ground zero; the quiet; the tears, the photos, banners, Fire Dept tshirts hanging on the makeshift walls; the tiny Church; the dust still lingering in the air and on the awnings; the power of people getting on with their lives. I'll never forget the solace and disbelief; the pain, the prayer and yet.......the optimism around the Ground Zero site in November 2001.

I'll Never Ever forget what happened that day. Hopefully none of us ever will.

#31 User is offline   barefoot_goddess 

• The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

I was only 13.

I was in my first period Advanced Theatre Arts class learning about Greek theatre. We didn't have TV in the classroom, so we were all oblivious to what was going on. When I went into my next class, Algebra, I saw my teacher standing in front of the TV with no color in her face. The second tower of the WTC had just been struck. The images on the screen were so strange and frightening to me, but I couldn't grasp what had really happened. As my class sat in shock, another teacher came in and told us that the Pentagon had been hit as well. Then panic ensued. Parents started picking kids up from school, and each class I went to had the TV on. No one did any work that day or the next. I was so filled with fear and questions that even my parents couldn't answer.

7 years and lots of growing up later, the tragedy and confusion of that day still ring true inside of me. Like everyone else, I will never forget.

#32 User is offline   helton 

• Blueberries good, liberals bad!
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (FS3 @ Sep 11 2008, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..........but I was fascinated at the world of activity underground - beneath the Towers. After 9.11.01 I was so disappointed that with all the post 9/11 coverage, that there was very little said about the world beneath the Towers. It was a like a small city under there with a maze of winding walkways and escalators and hurried activities of people and vendors and retail and food.
I had gone to a jewelry store in that city you describe and bought my wife a necklace. I will never throw away the receipt. It's dated 9/10/01.

#33 User is offline   Buster 

• 100% American and Proud
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

I was working in a County building. I had only been at work for less than an hour. We were evacuated without being told any reason why, just that all Government facilities needed to be empty. I turned on the radio and heard the Pentagon was hit.

I got in my car and headed towards my fiance's home (now wife) and heard that NY was also hit. I got to her house and her parents had Fox News on. We watched the towers come down live.

It was a horrible day. Later we found out that my wife's sister and husband had one of their best friends (he was my bro-in-law's best man) died in the towers. We also had another relative who worked there but got stuck in traffic that morning. My Aunt also works just outside D.C. for the Fed Government and I was thinking about her too.

We already had tickets to a 3 Doors Down concert with some unknown band named Nickelback opening for them, so we went. There was another band to be there but they got stuck at an airport. The entire show we watched overhead nervously. Chad Kroeger came out on the stage and said "Well. It's been a g##d### f###ing bad day for America. I don't use language like that but I had to agree.

It's a day that should never be forgotten by anyone. We saw both tragedy and a lot of heroism that day.

Strangely, my father-in-law who authored some political books had once worked on a book predicting the events of the day but never finished it. Before we even heard reports of who was behind it, he said it was probably Osama bin Laden. He was well researched on the enemies of our nation.

It had been a plan in the works for a decade. It should've been stopped years before it was even accomplished, but that's a discussion for another day.

#34 User is offline   Vezner 

• <no title>

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

I was working as a phone agent in a call center during my sophomore year of college at the time of the attack. This was in Provo Utah, by the way. I remember realizing that something strange was happening when our normally high queue of order calls suddenly dropped to a minimum. As we all sat around waiting for another call, I realized that every news site was timing out and not loading. That's when I started to realize that something major must have happened but we still didn't know what was going on until some employees started to come in to work and told us all about the plane crash (as it was being referred to at the time). I didn't think of terrorists at the time but rather thought someone with a small plane had an accident of some kind.

Before long we finally got a TV hooked up in our department and started to follow the news. That's when the second plane hit and we all realized that this was no accident. Eventually the managers started asking for volunteers to go home early since it was obvious that no work was going to be done that day with no one calling in. I went home and watched the news for the rest of the day.

My overall feelings during the day was slight fear since I didn't know how extensive these terorrists planned their attacks. I also felt, and still do in many ways, anger towards the barbarians that would do this. Forgiving those murderers has been a struggle for me. In addition, I felt my patriotism rise and a desire to see my great country kick the piss out of whoever staged this attack.

I also felt grateful to have a president who could stand up and be a leader during this time of terror. President Bush was amazing at that time and I still consider him to be one of the greatest presidents in our history, despite his flaws.

By the way, that call center I spoke about...I'm now the manager of it. smile.gif I work for a great company.

#35 User is offline   mattdad 

• <no title>

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

I was a full time graduate student at Ottawa University at the time, and oddly awoke to stone silence. I turned on the radio to NPR - something I almost never did - and heard the somber music and words about the tragedy unfolding in New York.

I rushed out to the living room to see the first tower ablaze. At the time the newscasters were speculating whether it was a terrorist attack or an accident. I knew...

My son lived in Hartford with his mom, and was to take a field trip to New York - I called her, praying that it wasn't that Tuesday. I got a hold of her and ensured that Matt was still at school. Telling her about the attacks, we both watched the second plane hit. Seeing the flames, debris and paper rain down on the city, for a brief moment our own little war was set aside, and we prayed for the victims.

Unable to study, I drove from school to the mall and to my old workplace, needing to connect with others. At my school - fortunately a conservative one - we shared and cursed and prayed. At a friend's business a moronic liberal woman blamed Bush for the attacks, claiming that he knew the attacks were coming. I never wanted to punch a woman so much in my life!!!

Over the next few days I volunteered at the Red Cross, was glued to the TV, and felt the righteous anger well up in my heart. As the attacks in Afghanistan commenced I cheered, revelling in our country's success. That December I flew out to my son and we went to Ground Zero. The stench of death and destruction hung between the battered buildings and on the faces of other mourners.

At the one year anniversary I attended a service at a local Unity church with a classmate. Up on stage stood representatives from every major religion, and they shared the basic tenets of their faith. I asked myself (and everyone around me) "What in the HELL does this have to do with murdered Americans?" As the Muslim man shared his tripe I saw evil in his eyes, and as everyone in the building lowered their eyes to sing some Kumbayaesque hymn I gazed at the Muslim. HIS eyes were scanning the crowd, as if to say "you fools are making it sooo easy for us - we will win!". I decided RIGHT then and there that this battle WAS for real, AND for keeps, and I rededicated my life to Christ.

On a huge placard where the liberal Kumbaya crowd had written their ecumenical prayers and stuff I wrote in huge letters "I AM the way the truth, and the life. NO man comes to the Father except through me - Jesus Christ"

For the past few years I have had my students go on the 9-11 Victims Tribute site, and write about a few of the victims - not just as numbers, but rather as Americans that had the rest of their lives ahead of them, and to learn that this was not the first attack nor would it be the last.

I pray the Lord continues to comfort those directly affected by evil that day, and to help us remain diligent in the face of the hate represented by radical Islam.

This post has been edited by mattdad: 11 September 2008 - 04:20 PM

#36 User is offline   Siren 

• I See You!

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

I have sketchy memories from 9/11/01. It was a gorgeous NY fall day. Perfect weather. I got to work early to finish prep work on a presentation I was giving that afternoon. When the first plane hit, my boss and I were in the Krispy Kreme in the South Tower getting coffee. We had no idea what was going on until we got outside. We were in the plaza area when the second plane hit and there was just chaos. I managed to get on a boat heading over to Jersey shortly before the South Tower collapsed. We weren't that far from the shoreline when it happened. I remember the noise and the smell and being covered in dust/ash. I don't remember much about my trip home. I lost a shoe somewhere along the way. My roommate had gotten on a ferry when the first plane hit so she was already home when I got there. We stood in the middle of the kitchen holding onto each other and saying over and over "It fell. I can't believe it fell." I went and showered to get all that dust off me. I assume she did too because I got her all dusty. Then we spent the rest of the day sitting in front of the tv watching the news coverage. But neither one of us remembers what we saw. Most of my memories from that day and the following days have big holes in them.

#37 User is offline   mattl1 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

My wife used to work for AON and they had a couple of floors of employees above 101. Most got out but not all. 2 of them called on their cell phones when they made it down to first floor. That was the last anybody heard from them.

After the movie United 93 came out my sister in law called us up and said that we might know somebody who was on the plane. Her name was Nicole Miller. A daughter of one of my wifes friends. I get all teared up looking at all the websites of surviving family members and reading comments from their family members. It really sucks.

I'm thankful for our military and that Bush was our President during this time. Who knows if we'd have other attacks since then if he wasn't our President.

Peace,

Matt

#38 User is offline   Loch Gates 

• Learn to Suffer

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:27 PM

I saw the second plane hit. After realizing this was a terrorist attack, Bin Laden was the first name that popped into my head. The rest of the day seemed like the country had been given a huge dose of novacaine.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users