RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Mentally ill woman gave birth alone in isolated jail cell, Broward pub - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mentally ill woman gave birth alone in isolated jail cell, Broward pub Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

Mentally ill woman gave birth alone in isolated jail cell, Broward public defender says

May 03, 2019 05:05 PM, Updated May 04, 2019 10:36 AM

A jailed and pregnant mentally ill woman was forced to deliver her child alone in an “isolation cell” last month as corrections officers ignored her cries for help, Broward County’s public defender charged on Friday.

In a letter to Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony, Public Defender Howard Finkelstein wrote that North Broward Bureau jail inmate Tammy Jackson began complaining to staffers of contractions at 3:16 a.m. on April 10. By 10 a.m., he said she was lying in her cell by herself holding her newborn daughter.

“She was forced to deliver her baby alone,” Finkelstein wrote in a two-page letter that also demanded a review of detention policies.

The Broward Sheriff’s Office says it learned of the incident two days later and immediately launched an internal affairs investigation.

In an email, BSO spokeswoman Gina Carter said “a Well Path medical team, including a physician and two nurses, attended to the mother and child. Child Protective Investigations Section was notified, and the baby was placed with an appropriate caregiver.”

According to Finkelstein, jail and medical personnel knew Jackson was at full-term and near giving birth when she was booked on March 27. The staffers at the jail, described by BSO’s website as “a minimum to medium security, special needs detention facility,” were also aware of her mental illness.

Finkelstein said two weeks later, just after 3 a.m., she began complaining of contractions and asked for help. Yet, according to Finkelstein, instead of transporting her to a hospital, staff tried reaching an on-call physician. At 7:22 a.m. that morning, Finkelstein said, the doctor said he was on his way. Then at 9 a.m., about an hour before she gave birth, the woman said she was bleeding and still alone in her cell.

Jackson remains in the custody of the Broward Sheriff’s Office, but is currently in the hospital recovering, said Chief Assistant Public Defender Gordon Weekes, who also signed the letter to Sheriff Tony. Weekes could not provide details on the baby’s condition.

“Just imagine going through the trauma of delivering a baby, screaming for help, people are within earshot, and no one comes to your aid from 4 a.m., when the contractions start, until 10 a.m.,” said Weekes. “All the while knowing people are in earshot.”

Jackson, 34, was arrested by BSO in late March. According to records from the Broward County Clerk of Court, she’d been arrested in January on cocaine possession charges and released, but failed to report for pretrial services so a warrant was issued for her arrest. She was also charged with trespassing, sleeping on a public street and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Since the day she was arrested, Finkelstein said, the Broward Sheriff’s Office was aware of her pregnancy. She was placed in an infirmary so her medical issues could be monitored, according to the public defender. “Not only was Ms. Jackson’s health callously ignored, the life of her child was also put at grave risk,” Finkelstein wrote.

Jackson underwent a competency evaluation late last month, according to the court docket in her case. Weekes declined to detail Jackson’s mental illness, but described it as “significant.”

Link

I don't see why a woman with a "significant" mental illness was not in a hospital in the first place.

<snip>

#2 User is online   Kilmerfan 

• Ah hell I still like Mel.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

Them again, Broward County would be better off with the cops from Police Academy movies.

#3 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

Broward again. Just sayin.

#4 User is online   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

Coward county needs a new Sheriff and a new paradigm, they suck.

#5 User is offline   USNJIMRET 

• Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

"Not only was Ms. Jackson's health callously ignored, the life of her child was also put at grave risk," Finkelstein wrote.

Not to take the failure of authorities to properly care for the woman lightly, but didn't her cocaine habit also endanger her unborn child?

This post has been edited by USNJIMRET: 05 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

#6 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

View PostUSNJIMRET, on 05 May 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

[/left][/size][/font][/color]
Not to take the failure of authorities to properly care for the woman lightly, but didn't her cocaine habit also endanger her unborn child?

And who determined she was mentally ill?

Sounds like a low life druggie.

#7 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

No. Just like “orange man bad”, all “boys in blue bad”. (Sarcasm off). Sounds like she created her own issues to an extent, but that does NOT relieve authorities from their responsibilities while she is in custody. Broward County makes law enforcement look bad. Period.

#8 User is offline   USNJIMRET 

• Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

Never mind.
I suspect your (sarcasm off) is seen as sufficient.

This post has been edited by USNJIMRET: 05 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

#9 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

The county took her into custody and therefore agreed to take responsibility for her and her unborn child. But she took drugs, so <censored> her and the baby. They don't deserve sanitation or medical help. Basic human compassion should only be reserved for "good people".

If this is true, then everyone from the officers to the Sheriff should be fired and sued. If they can't take their jobs seriously and have such a callous attitude toward their charges, they have no business being near any corrections system.

Seems odd seeing so-called "prolife conservatives" with that attitude as well.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: 05 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

View Posterp, on 05 May 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

And who determined she was mentally ill?

Sounds like a low life druggie.

She had a "competency evaluation" the article said.

#11 User is online   searcher 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

I really hope she uses some of the money I think she should get to clean herself up and make a better life for that baby. All the officials who ignored her should be in the street penniless.

#12 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

I'd like to hear the BSO's side of it and/or see any surveillance video. Maybe she was just screaming/ "crying wolf"/jibber-jabbering enough that they just eventually tuned her out.

As mentioned before, back in my barfighting days in the '80s, I've been a guest of the county more than a few times.

I've seen them bring in a few genuine nutjobs. I remember THREE in particular. ONE was a black guy, kept talking to himself and imaginary people and 'Herschel Walker' all weekend long 24/7. Imagine trying to get some sleep with a black guy in a deep baritone voice plaintively calling "Herschel?.... Herschel Walker?" periodically ALL fricken' night long. Now HIM I genuinely felt sorry for (In retrospect. At the time, he's lucky he was in a cell of his own).

Layout of the jail at the time was, MOST of us were in one big cell. Maybe 20 or 30 bunk beds not much different than a military Baracks in boot camp. But along the hallway to get to that one big cell was a number of "isolation" cells for the hard cases.

Second was a white guy they picked up - I dunno the charge - must've EITHER been high on PCP or something OR needed a good exorcist. Kept throwing himself at the bars. Hard enough that it shook the floor when he hit. And yet, somehow never injured himself. I'll never understand that one. But I've seen it with my own eyes.

Third was a Canadian serial killer they were holding for extradition. Can't remember the name but it was "news" in the mid '80s. Made friends with acquaintances on Greyhound then murdered them. That dude was downright scary. Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lector had NOTHING on this guy.

#13 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostConfessor, on 05 May 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

No. Just like “orange man bad”, all “boys in blue bad”. (Sarcasm off). Sounds like she created her own issues to an extent, but that does NOT relieve authorities from their responsibilities while she is in custody. Broward County makes law enforcement look bad. Period.

I'll stop JUST short of that. Maybe they're just "overwhelmed"??? I've live one county south of Broward in Dade Co (Miami, Miami Beach, etc) and one county north in Palm Beach Co (West Palm Beach, Lake worth, Lantana, etc)

And for a while was an assistant to a county commissioner in Orange Co FL (Orlando, etc). I've seen the budget numbers and even our SO (Sheriff's Office) was considered "understaffed" at the time (but got the job done). Just recently in Cobb Co GA I've sat in on a county commission meeting. Holy crap, now THAT'S "understaffed" - if I understood it correctly, Cobb Co SO is less than half it's MINIMUM authorized strength.

#14 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

Make the newborn "comfortable". Let it expire on the table then sell the tissues to Planned Parenthood. Mom makes bail and a couple-few more months of coke. All that ends swell.

#15 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

'twas better when there were institutions for such folks.

But the dems closed those.

#16 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:14 AM

You aren't supposed to focus on the details beyond her having a case for a lawsuit against the cops.

#17 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:23 AM

There is no valid excuse for this outright negligence and depravity. All responsible should be fired and sued.

I have witnessed such negligence to many normal patients (especially to my family) while they were already there in the hospital awaiting treatment. So if she were taken to a hospital doesn't mean that she would have received adequate timely treatment. Hospitals most everywhere are quite often just as bad as this county jail when it comes to apathy, negligence and indifference towards people in need.

To them people are nothing more important than a number and as a result are treated like cheap fast food.

Many have become desensitized and hardened in doing their jobs often because of the flawed system that they are forced to work under that is driven by greed from upper management.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 06 May 2019 - 04:32 AM

#18 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

View PostRock N, on 06 May 2019 - 04:23 AM, said:

There is no valid excuse for this outright negligence and depravity. All responsible should be fired and sued.

I have witnessed such negligence to many normal patients (especially to my family) while they were already there in the hospital awaiting treatment. So if she were taken to a hospital doesn't mean that she would have received adequate timely treatment. Hospitals most everywhere are quite often just as bad as this county jail when it comes to apathy, negligence and indifference towards people in need.

To them people are nothing more important than a number and as a result are treated like cheap fast food.

Many have become desensitized and hardened in doing their jobs often because of the flawed system that they are forced to work under that is driven by greed from upper management.

Agreed.

Dangerous jail births, miscarriages, and stillborn babies blamed on the same billion dollar company
Updated 7:14 PM ET, Tue May 7, 2019

Excerpt:

<snip>

While the media attention surrounding this incident has been on the jail itself, the medical provider hired by the sheriff's office was the one directly responsible for Jackson's care.
The private contractor, Wellpath, is the largest correctional health care provider in the country -- the result of a recent merger between a company called Correct Care Solutions, or CCS, and a smaller competitor, Correctional Medical Group Companies (CGMC). The Supreme Court has ruled that providing health care to inmates is mandated by the US Constitution. For Wellpath, this job is projected to bring in annual revenues of $1.5 billion.

A CNN analysis of federal court records over the past five years shows that the company has been at the center of lawsuits involving at least six different facilities. The lawsuits allege that pregnant women have been subjected to inhumane and dangerous conditions and treatment that in some cases have allegedly led to miscarriages and infant deaths.
Public records also reveal how at least one county that hired the company found medical staff had given Librium, a powerful benzodiazepine, or tranquilizer, to multiple pregnant inmates. Librium's label recommends against the use of the drug during pregnancy because of potential risk to the fetus.

<snip>

Link

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 07 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users