RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Waiter returns half-million $ cashier’s check to no-tip SJW - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Waiter returns half-million $ cashier’s check to no-tip SJW Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 6,906
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

NYC pizzeria waiter returns half-million dollar cashier’s check to retired social worker who failed to tip him
By Denis Slattery and Ginger Adams Otis
May 10, 2019 | 11:28 AM
www.nydailynews.com


When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie – that’s karma.

A Manhattan woman who almost bankrupted herself when she left a $424,000 cashier’s check at Patsy’s Pizzeria over the weekend was saved from ruin by an unlikely source — the waiter she’d stiffed at lunch.

Instead of 20% of the bill, a folded up envelope was the only thing left on a table at the East Harlem institution on Saturday when waiter Armando Markaj went to clean it off.

Yet the tipless waiter, a medical student working his way through school, had nothing but kind words and smiles for a flustered and grateful Karen Vinacour when the Daily News reunited the two at the famous pizzeria on 117th St. so she could pick up her check.

“I’m happy for her, really. Saturdays are pretty busy and I was very close to taking everything left on the table and throwing it out when I saw an envelope,” Markaj, 27, told The News. “I just pulled up the flap and I saw ‘Citibank’ and thought it was important, so I ran out to the street to look for her, but she was gone.”

More

---------------------------------------------

I recommend reading the whole story; the reason she gives for why she had stiffed him on the tip is priceless.

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 10 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

0

#2 User is online   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,087
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

What a B!tch.
0

#3 User is online   Tikk 

  • Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 8,731
  • Joined: 16-December 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 10 May 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

NYC pizzeria waiter returns half-million dollar cashier’s check to retired social worker who failed to tip him
By Denis Slattery and Ginger Adams Otis
May 10, 2019 | 11:28 AM
www.nydailynews.com

<snip>

More

---------------------------------------------

I recommend reading the whole story; the reason she gives for why she had stiffed him on the tip is priceless.


No kidding.

Tells a lot of what type of person she and her daughter are.

And also tells you what type of person the waiter is.

I like how he declined the offered make-up tip as a final, "F U Lady".
0

#4 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

  • Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,423
  • Joined: 02-April 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

Even if there were no pictures of women, why would one blame a waiter? They have no say over the decor of where they work. Sometimes some women, and lately a lot of women, make me ashamed of my gender. I know, I know, there are plenty of good people, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and for every person like this waiter we hear about, we hear about way more bitter people like these women.
0

#5 User is offline   Bookdoc 

  • Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 5,135
  • Joined: 07-September 05

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

I waited table in NYC and other places when I was younger. I was told by other waiters that women didn't tip very well. I was determined to give women great service to show it wasn't true. Actually, I learned it definitely was true. I saw the same thing as a bartender as well. The worst was a table of women with separate checks where much of the time no one tipped. Women may wonder why they get the rookie servers-well, that's why. It may have changed in the last 45 years but it was true back then. :2cents:
0

#6 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 6,906
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 10 May 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

Even if there were no pictures of women, why would one blame a waiter? They have no say over the decor of where they work.


Because by the waiter's reaction...

“Maybe women don’t eat a lot of pizza?” Vinacour recalled the waiter saying with a shrug.

...he betrayed that he was not sufficiently woke and engaged by the virtue signaling of the SJW and her daughter. Not only should he not have been tipped, but the SJW and her daughter should have taken to social media to encourage others to avoid an establishment staffed and owned by such deplorables.

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 10 May 2019 - 04:30 PM

0

#7 User is online   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,087
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 10 May 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

Because by the waiter's reaction...

“Maybe women don’t eat a lot of pizza?” Vinacour recalled the waiter saying with a shrug.

...he betrayed that he was not sufficiently woke and engaged by the virtue signaling of the SJW and her daughter. Not only should he not have been tipped, but the SJW and her daughter should have taken to social media to encourage others to avoid an establishment staffed and owned by such deplorables.


The waiter didn't "do the right thing".
0

#8 User is offline   Liz 

  • ***-----------***
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 51,182
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:54 PM

Not tipping the waiter is the least of her problems. She also raised an idiot.
0

#9 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 6,581
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

ZZZZZZ... Nobody could negotiate the check anyway. It was made out to herself. She would never have been without the money. It was nice of the waiter to save her the inconvenience but ultimately, the dingbat wouldn't have lost anything.
0

#10 User is online   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,087
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 10 May 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

ZZZZZZ... Nobody could negotiate the check anyway. It was made out to herself. She would never have been without the money. It was nice of the waiter to save her the inconvenience but ultimately, the dingbat wouldn't have lost anything.


Definitely not her sense of entitlement.
0

#11 User is offline   USNJIMRET 

  • Rule 1:The Chief is right Rule 2:If in doubt, check Rule 1
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,265
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

From the linked story: "As it turns out, Vinacour, 79, is anything but financially flush.
The retired social worker stopped by Patsy's on Saturday for lunch with her daughter after looking at a condo she hoped to buy, and the cashier's check – mostly proceeds from the apartment she recently sold – was her down payment for the new home."

So she has nearly a half a million to put as a down payment on a condo, but isn't financially flush?
Wow
0

#12 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 26,923
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:40 PM

Standard idiot leftists, she unfriended him for his response. That's not how it's done moron. He should have cashed that check and donated the proceeds to a charity.
0

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 57,209
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 10 May 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

I waited table in NYC and other places when I was younger. I was told by other waiters that women didn't tip very well. I was determined to give women great service to show it wasn't true. Actually, I learned it definitely was true. I saw the same thing as a bartender as well. The worst was a table of women with separate checks where much of the time no one tipped. Women may wonder why they get the rookie servers-well, that's why. It may have changed in the last 45 years but it was true back then. :2cents:


Yup, same here. I was never a waiter, but I was a bartender, at more than one place. Both beer & wine places and cocktail places. Women are terrible tippers.


View PostUSNJIMRET, on 10 May 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

From the linked story: "As it turns out, Vinacour, 79, is anything but financially flush.
The retired social worker stopped by Patsy's on Saturday for lunch with her daughter after looking at a condo she hoped to buy, and the cashier's check – mostly proceeds from the apartment she recently sold – was her down payment for the new home."

So she has nearly a half a million to put as a down payment on a condo, but isn't financially flush?
Wow


Yeah, LOL. When you're as broke as I am, anybody who can scrape together more than $400,000 for any reason is certainly financially flush.

:coolshades:
0

#14 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,790
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:48 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 10 May 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

ZZZZZZ... Nobody could negotiate the check anyway. It was made out to herself. She would never have been without the money. It was nice of the waiter to save her the inconvenience but ultimately, the dingbat wouldn't have lost anything.


You'd be surprised.

I have legitimately/legally "cashed" checks for friends/employees. Give them the cash, then deposit the check via ATM to my own account. No bank has ever said "Boo" about it.

Our system is SOOOO loose. In the industrial/infrastructure security world, I want FOUR factors before I authenticate and/or genuinely trust a person:

The Person, IN person
Their Documents, as to person
Their Credentials, as to qualifications
Their "story".


All four have to match and seem right. I've turned down more than one job applicant that looked good on paper but something just felt "off". I know it when I see it, even if I can't define it.

Banks, not so much. They care about the "document" - the check - more than anything else. The banking world is lucky that I'm on the good side of the line. As far as you know.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 10 May 2019 - 06:54 PM

0

#15 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 6,581
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 10 May 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

You'd be surprised.

I have legitimately/legally "cashed" checks for friends/employees. Give them the cash, then deposit the check via ATM to my own account. No bank has ever said "Boo" about it.

Our system is SOOOO loose. In the industrial/infrastructure security world, I want FOUR factors before I authenticate and/or genuinely trust a person:

The Person, IN person
Their Documents, as to person
Their Credentials, as to qualifications
Their "story".


All four have to match and seem right. I've turned down more than one job applicant that looked good on paper but something just felt "off". I know it when I see it, even if I can't define it.

Banks, not so much. They care about the "document" - the check - more than anything else. The banking world is lucky that I'm on the good side of the line. As far as you know.


I would be very surprised because it wouldn't happen. Nobody but she would be able to negotiate this check. This isn't a 7-11 money order for 30 bucks, it is a cashier's check for almost 500k. You can't just go into your local branch and deposit into your account. Even as a cashier's check, the amount would force a hold until it cleared. Even if she was dumb enough to endorse the back, it wouldn't be paid until she is contacted. You certainly wouldn't be able to negotiate it for cash because cash transaction over 10k require you to submit reports to the state revenue office and the IRS.

I've been in this business for almost thirty years. I know what the <censored> I'm talking about.

If this waiter had attempted this fraud, he'd do time. Attempting to negotiate a check is illegal no matter how much of a bitch the true owner of the money is.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: 10 May 2019 - 07:28 PM

0

#16 User is online   Tikk 

  • Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 8,731
  • Joined: 16-December 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostUSNJIMRET, on 10 May 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

From the linked story: "As it turns out, Vinacour, 79, is anything but financially flush.
The retired social worker stopped by Patsy's on Saturday for lunch with her daughter after looking at a condo she hoped to buy, and the cashier's check – mostly proceeds from the apartment she recently sold – was her down payment for the new home."

So she has nearly a half a million to put as a down payment on a condo, but isn't financially flush?
Wow



That amount of 'down payment' could purchase a house and property outright in Texas. So I'm relieved this ______ is staying in New York.
0

#17 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

  • Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,423
  • Joined: 02-April 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:21 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 10 May 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

I waited table in NYC and other places when I was younger. I was told by other waiters that women didn't tip very well. I was determined to give women great service to show it wasn't true. Actually, I learned it definitely was true. I saw the same thing as a bartender as well. The worst was a table of women with separate checks where much of the time no one tipped. Women may wonder why they get the rookie servers-well, that's why. It may have changed in the last 45 years but it was true back then. :2cents:



View PostMontyPython, on 10 May 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

Yup, same here. I was never a waiter, but I was a bartender, at more than one place. Both beer & wine places and cocktail places. Women are terrible tippers.




Yeah, LOL. When you're as broke as I am, anybody who can scrape together more than $400,000 for any reason is certainly financially flush.

:coolshades:

Hey guys, please don't put all of us women in the no tip catagory. Some of us do tip, and tip fairly well. Do motel work for a while, making 15 to 25 beds a day, cleaning up after people and some pigs, and being shocked when someone leaves a tip in the room, and one learns to appreciate hard workers in the service industry. Some of us also can tell when waited on by new employee and cut them some slack. And yes, tip the rookies too.
0

#18 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 57,209
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:12 PM

View PostUSNRETWIFE, on 10 May 2019 - 09:21 PM, said:

Hey guys, please don't put all of us women in the no tip catagory. Some of us do tip, and tip fairly well. Do motel work for a while, making 15 to 25 beds a day, cleaning up after people and some pigs, and being shocked when someone leaves a tip in the room, and one learns to appreciate hard workers in the service industry. Some of us also can tell when waited on by new employee and cut them some slack. And yes, tip the rookies too.


Fair enough. Yes, I was speaking generally - It's not fair to proclaim all women are bad tippers.

B)
0

#19 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

  • Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,423
  • Joined: 02-April 03

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 May 2019 - 10:12 PM, said:

Fair enough. Yes, I was speaking generally - It's not fair to proclaim all women are bad tippers.

B)

Thank you!
0

#20 User is offline   moocow 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 1,105
  • Joined: 18-December 04

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:07 AM

View PostMagic Rat, on 10 May 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

ZZZZZZ... Nobody could negotiate the check anyway. It was made out to herself. She would never have been without the money. It was nice of the waiter to save her the inconvenience but ultimately, the dingbat wouldn't have lost anything.

Even if nobody else could have cashed the check, based on the article, there's still time lost. It sounded like the money would have been held up for 3 months, possibly more. And in real estate, 3 months is a life time. Not to mention, the time value of that money that would have been lost.
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users