RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Waiter returns half-million $ cashier’s check to no-tip SJW - RightNation.US

Waiter returns half-million $ cashier’s check to no-tip SJW Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:32 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 10 May 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

The waiter didn't "do the right thing".

agreed.

#22 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

View PostUSNJIMRET, on 10 May 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

From the linked story: "As it turns out, Vinacour, 79, is anything but financially flush.
The retired social worker stopped by Patsy's on Saturday for lunch with her daughter after looking at a condo she hoped to buy, and the cashier's check – mostly proceeds from the apartment she recently sold – was her down payment for the new home."

So she has nearly a half a million to put as a down payment on a condo, but isn't financially flush?
Wow

I dug up some info on her that is easily obtainable on the web.

Usual suspect, usual behavior. Zero surprises.

#23 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:44 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 May 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

Yup, same here. I was never a waiter, but I was a bartender, at more than one place. Both beer & wine places and cocktail places. Women are terrible tippers.

Worked in restaurants as first, second and third jobs at various points of my life, for 17 years total. Yes, many women are terrible tippers, and will take out calculators to figure out who pays the extra penny this week. <---not a joke. I've seen it many times.

Worst tippers: lawyers, politicians, bankers, people who imbibe frozen drinks (e.g., dacquiris), and certain specific religious and racial minorities whom I shan't name
Best tippers (besides those who work in the restaurant industry): middle class families, military officers, blue-collar workers

Other bad tippers: college kids, single women (on the whole; except those who work in the restaurant industry), military enlisted

#24 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

Bright and early Monday, she showed up at Citibank’s flagship branch in Union Square.

“They said they couldn’t immediately cancel it because it was a cashier’s check. I would have to wait at least three months before they could even start the process, and only if someone didn’t cash it in the meantime,” she said.

What?

#25 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 11 May 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

Worked in restaurants as first, second and third jobs at various points of my life, for 17 years total. Yes, many women are terrible tippers, and will take out calculators to figure out who pays the extra penny this week. <---not a joke. I've seen it many times.

Worst tippers: lawyers, politicians, bankers, people who imbibe frozen drinks (e.g., dacquiris), and certain specific religious and racial minorities whom I shan't name
Best tippers (besides those who work in the restaurant industry): middle class families, military officers, blue-collar workers

Other bad tippers: college kids, single women (on the whole; except those who work in the restaurant industry), military enlisted

I delivered pizzas back in the day and I can confirm everything you said. I'll take it one step further. I am not politically correct. The racial minorities you chose not to mention are blacks. Blacks are far and away the worst tippers. It's not even close. Not only are they bad tippers, they're dicks about it. If their check is $39.98 they'll give you $40 and say "keep the change". It's not a racist thing on their part. They'll stiff other blacks just as often. In addition to bad tipping, they try to pay with bad checks, stolen credit card numbers, and they'll even say they'll be right back, close the door, and never come back. It gets even better. Every pizza delivery guy gets robbed eventually. Of all the delivery driver robberies I heard about, every single one was robbed by blacks. Blacks make up 30% of the population in Chicago and are responsible for about 80% of the non-white collar crime. These people have a serious <censored>ing problem and it's not because they're "victims" of racism.

#26 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 11 May 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

Yup, I can confirm every single one of those assertions.

You all know how broke I am, so some people might think I don't tip well. Fact is, if I can't afford a decent tip, I figure I can't afford to order the drink or meal in the first place. (That's why I mostly eat & drink at home.) Having been a bartender myself I will never stiff any waiter/waitress/bartender unless I get truly lousy service. I know from first-hand experience how hard these people work and how little they get paid.

B)

#27 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 10 May 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

ZZZZZZ... Nobody could negotiate the check anyway. It was made out to herself. She would never have been without the money. It was nice of the waiter to save her the inconvenience but ultimately, the dingbat wouldn't have lost anything.

If he had tried to cash it or keep it, that might have made for a hell of a fraud or theft charge. However, that doesn’t mean the waiter knew any of that. He could have retaliated by destroying the check; no one would have been the wiser. He did the moral and honest thing, even though she treated him poorly. It is “ do unto others as you would have them do unto you” not “do unto others AS they have done to you”. It is refreshing to see someone do the right thing, even though it wasn’t as big of a deal as he thought.

This post has been edited by Confessor: 11 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

#28 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 10 May 2019 - 10:12 PM, said:

Fair enough. Yes, I was speaking generally - It's not fair to proclaim all women are bad tippers.

B)

Agreed-both my wife and daughter are good tippers.

#29 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 11 May 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

So is my girlfriend. Unfortunately she's not very good at math, LOL, so I usually have to figure out the 15% for her.

B)

#30 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 11 May 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Drink a lot do they? Oh, you said tippers, not tipplers...sorry, my bad. :teehee:

#31 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostSeverian, on 11 May 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

Drink a lot do they? Oh, you said tippers, not tipplers...sorry, my bad. :teehee:

Well, my daughter WAS in the Navy so...

#32 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:56 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 May 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

So is my girlfriend. Unfortunately she's not very good at math, LOL, so I usually have to figure out the 15% for her.

B)

I'm good with math, but I'm not quick with math, especially when I have to do it in my head. (Give me a whiteboard, AND enough time, and I can explain the difference between the Ricci Curvature of spacetime and the Einstein-Hilbert curvature. I can also do a reasonable approximation of Feynmann's Lecture on the Motion of Planets around the Sun. LOL)

My "cheat" for this when tipping is to tip $3 for every $20 on the bill, rounded up. (20 x 0.15 = 3). I don't bother multiplying the bill by 0.15, I count the number of 20s and multiply by 3.

1/3 of 20 is just under $7. Anything in that range (cup of coffee, a hot dog or two at a stand, a drink in a bar, etc) gets $1. Never less than $1. Likewise, up to $14 get $2. Beyond that, the nearest multiple of $20=$3, rounded up.

Who else gets $1 besides the barista at Caribou Coffee? Strippers, every time they come around. Taxi Drivers - $1 per bag loaded/unloaded, above and beyond the taxi bill. Luggage receivers at the airport - $1/bag, just to make sure my luggage doesn't get diverted to Bumfuque Eqypt. Hotel maids - $1 per night that I've stayed there. Mailman Lady in my zip, $50/yr at Christmas, which works out to $1/wk allowing for the 2 weeks of a year we have our mail held.

Average mail carrier delivers to between 1,300 and 1,700 households per day. If everyone tipped properly, It would be a nice tidy "Christmas Bonus". And, oh lord, they could use it. S-I-L is not a "carrier" but Postmaster (Postmistress???)for a town in Indiana. NO WAY I would take that job for what she's being paid.

Go back even before. Rocky Ridge OH in the mid '60s, just east of Toledo (We're talking REAL Andy-Griffith-like territory)

Circa '65 -'67-ish, "Rocky Ridge OH 43458" was a number of pigeonholes behind the counter of "Ray's Tavern". My Uncle Ray was the proprietor. My Aunt Lois was the postmaster.

Oh, THOSE were the days.

#33 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Question. Do you calculate tip based on total with or without tax? Excluding variables such as dining experience or being a social justice sow.

#34 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:28 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 11 May 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

I'm good with math, but I'm not quick with math, especially when I have to do it in my head. (Give me a whiteboard, AND enough time, and I can explain the difference between the Ricci Curvature of spacetime and the Einstein-Hilbert curvature. I can also do a reasonable approximation of Feynmann's Lecture on the Motion of Planets around the Sun. LOL)

My "cheat" for this when tipping is to tip $3 for every $20 on the bill, rounded up. (20 x 0.15 = 3). I don't bother multiplying the bill by 0.15, I count the number of 20s and multiply by 3.

1/3 of 20 is just under $7. Anything in that range (cup of coffee, a hot dog or two at a stand, a drink in a bar, etc) gets $1. Never less than $1. Likewise, up to $14 get $2. Beyond that, the nearest multiple of $20=$3, rounded up.

Who else gets $1 besides the barista at Caribou Coffee? Strippers, every time they come around. Taxi Drivers - $1 per bag loaded/unloaded, above and beyond the taxi bill. Luggage receivers at the airport - $1/bag, just to make sure my luggage doesn't get diverted to Bumfuque Eqypt. Hotel maids - $1 per night that I've stayed there. Mailman Lady in my zip, $50/yr at Christmas, which works out to $1/wk allowing for the 2 weeks of a year we have our mail held.

Average mail carrier delivers to between 1,300 and 1,700 households per day. If everyone tipped properly, It would be a nice tidy "Christmas Bonus". And, oh lord, they could use it. S-I-L is not a "carrier" but Postmaster (Postmistress???)for a town in Indiana. NO WAY I would take that job for what she's being paid.

Go back even before. Rocky Ridge OH in the mid '60s, just east of Toledo (We're talking REAL Andy-Griffith-like territory)

Circa '65 -'67-ish, "Rocky Ridge OH 43458" was a number of pigeonholes behind the counter of "Ray's Tavern". My Uncle Ray was the proprietor. My Aunt Lois was the postmaster.

Oh, THOSE were the days.

Meh, I just figure 15% in my head. Simple. In my head it's a two-step calculation: First, 10% then half that again.

Example: The bill is 23 bucks. 10% is 2.30. Half that is 1.15. So 2.30 + 1.15 = 3.45. (I'd round that up to 3.50.)

$23 tab? $3.50 tip. Total paid, $26.50.

Simple.

B)

#35 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 May 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

Meh, I just figure 15% in my head. Simple. In my head it's a two-step calculation: First, 10% then half that again.

Example: The bill is 23 bucks. 10% is 2.30. Half that is 1.15. So 2.30 + 1.15 = 3.45. (I'd round that up to 3.50.)

Simple.

B)

That's exactly how I do it.

Though I usually start at 20%, and the service whittles me down sometimes to 15%

#36 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 May 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

Simple.

B)

I usually start at 20% because in many restaurants the waitstaff gives 3% of the check to the busboys. In other words, if you give 15% they actually only get 12%.

#37 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

View PostHowsithangin, on 11 May 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

That's exactly how I do it.

Though I usually start at 20%, and the service whittles me down sometimes to 15%

View PostNatural Selection, on 11 May 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

I usually start at 20% because in many restaurants the waitstaff gives 3% of the check to the busboys. In other words, if you give 15% they actually only get 12%.

Well I wish I could routinely give 20% tips. But I'm just too poor. Hell, I can't even really afford 15%, but I realize that's pretty much the minimum.

:shrug:

#38 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:02 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 11 May 2019 - 08:55 PM, said:

Well I wish I could routinely give 20% tips. But I'm just too poor. Hell, I can't even really afford 15%, but I realize that's pretty much the minimum.

:shrug:

I usually avoid restaurants with waitstaff. I get more bang for the buck at all-you-can-eat buffets and places like Chipotle, Subway, Wendy's, etc.

One way to avoid the 15% tip at restaurants with waitstaff is to place a carry out order. Give the cashier a couple bucks and you're usually OK. Carry out cashiers are used to zero tips. A couple bucks makes them smile.

#39 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:25 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 11 May 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

I usually avoid restaurants with waitstaff. I get more bang for the buck at all-you-can-eat buffets and places like Chipotle, Subway, Wendy's, etc.

One way to avoid the 15% tip at restaurants with waitstaff is to place a carry out order. Give the cashier a couple bucks and you're usually OK. Carry out cashiers are used to zero tips. A couple bucks makes them smile.

Yeah, I know all the cheapest places to eat, LOL. Nobody at the local Cost Cutter's deli section expects a tip. Same with Burger King, Subway, etc. It's extremely rare we can ever scrape together enough cash to eat at a "sit-down" restaurant.

:blush:

#40 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:18 AM

20% for restaurant servers.
25% for my hair dresser.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic