RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Federally Funded Study: Common Core Sunk U.S. Kids’ Test Scores - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Federally Funded Study: Common Core Sunk U.S. Kids’ Test Scores In several cases student achievement reversed under Common Core Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:54 AM

Federally Funded Study: Common Core Sunk U.S. Kids’ Test Scores
By Joy Pullmann
MAY 30, 2019

Researchers the Obama administration funded to assist Common Core’s rollout recently found, to their surprise, that under Common Core U.S. student achievement has sunk (h/t Lance Izumi).

“Contrary to our expectation, we found that [Common Core] had significant negative effects on 4th graders’ reading achievement during the 7 years after the adoption of the new standards, and had a significant negative effect on 8th graders’ math achievement 7 years after adoption based on analyses of NAEP composite scores,” the Center on Standards, Alignment, Instruction and Learning (C-SAIL) preliminary study said. “The size of these negative effects, however, was generally small.”

The study found not only lower student achievement since Common Core, but also performed data analysis suggesting students would have done better if Common Core had never existed. The achievement declines also grew worse over time, study coauthor Mengli Song told Chalkbeat, an education news website: “That’s a little troubling.”

Common Core is 640 pages of K-12 curriculum and testing mandates that nearly every state switched to between 2010 and 2013 under heavy federal pressure. President Obama, his education secretary Arne Duncan, and private financier Bill Gates promised the nation that overhauling what students learn and how it is measured would lead to student achievement gains.

It’s not that teachers didn’t work really hard to make Common Core succeed, either. C-SAIL’s report says “More than three quarters (76%) of teachers surveyed, for example, reported having changed at least half of their classroom instruction as a result of the CCSS, and about four out of five mathematics teachers (82%) and three out of four English teachers (72%) reported having changed more than half of their instructional materials in response to the CCSS.” Between two-thirds and three-quarters of teachers also said in surveys that they thought Common Core benefited their students, so while their perception may not match reality it doesn’t appear negative teacher attitudes obstructed Common Core either.

Teachers and schools made massive, good-faith efforts to comply with Common Core. The problem is that those changes didn’t help kids.

<snip>

LINK

#2 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

“Contrary to our expectation, we found that [Common Core] had significant negative effects on 4th graders’ reading achievement during the 7 years after the adoption of the new standards, and had a significant negative effect on 8th graders’ math achievement 7 years after adoption based on analyses of NAEP composite scores,” the Center on Standards, Alignment, Instruction and Learning (C-SAIL) preliminary study said. “The size of these negative effects, however, was generally small.”

Operating AS INTENDED.

Put idiots in charge of schools and teaching students, train them in idiotic dogma about transgender, global warming and other marxist crap and guess what? These kids are losing their ability to reason. Math is reason, reading and writing is communication. These skills are falling down because it's more important to teach these kids that there are men and womyn and others that identify as potted plants.

No one should be allowed in a classroom unless they are over 40, all teachers should be on their second + career and have a minimum understanding of the world outside of the school. No administrator should be below the age of 50 for much the same reason. Career children that never leave academia, have zero skills other than being indoctrinated by ever increasing moron's with even more debt!

Burn down public schools, at this point kids would be smarter if they played japanese video games and watched anime all day. At least their political indoctrination would be non-existent and they could learn from experience.

#3 User is offline   LollyMpl 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:41 AM

Imagine that. No one would've ever expected THAT!

Sigh.

#4 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

"That's a little troubling." WTF? That's VERY troubling! This is a prime example of what goes wrong when the Feds do a top down approach for anything as opposed to more local control.

Back in my college days there was a class we called "pussy physics" but was officially Physics For Education Majors. Everyone wanted to be the lab assistant in the class, out of say 40 people, one was a guy, three or four were homely women, and the rest were gorgeous women. But, we used to say they had only one functioning brain if you added them all together, we thought it was funny at the time. I should have realized how terrifying it was, these not bright, overly emotional, incapable of logical thought types were going to be teaching the next generation, and were all overly emotional and easily indoctrinated. We see the results of this now. :hairpull:

#5 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

How could anybody be "surprised" by this? LOTS of us have spent many years pointing out why this result was inevitable.

Oh yeah, I forgot: We're "Trumptards", LOL, so they're the geniuses and we're the dummies. Why just look at these great Common Core results to prove how wrong we were.....

:whistling: :whistle: :whistling:

#6 User is offline   LollyMpl 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, I'm just an uneducated, religious bigot. I cannot possibly understand the education of children because I'm not woke, nor do I have a degree. (Nevermind that we just finished year 9 of me educating our children....me choosing their curriculum every year; studying about teaching styles, learning styles, and homeschooling philosophies. Nevermind that my oldest is dyslexic, and reads voraciously, and I never had spec ed learning. Nor that our youngest is gifted, and we've never been trained on the how to's of that, either. But I have PLENTY of learning in how my kids are motivated and how they learn and what they each need. And I can guarantee that neither will learn the common core way...because I choose to have EDUCATED children.)

#7 User is online   Howsithangin 

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 04 June 2019 - 07:40 AM, said:

Operating AS INTENDED.

Bingo!

#8 User is online   Howsithangin 

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

View PostSeverian, on 04 June 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Back in my college days there was a class we called "pussy physics" but was officially Physics For Education Majors. Everyone wanted to be the lab assistant in the class, out of say 40 people, one was a guy, three or four were homely women, and the rest were gorgeous women. But, we used to say they had only one functioning brain if you added them all together, we thought it was funny at the time. I should have realized how terrifying it was, these not bright, overly emotional, incapable of logical thought types were going to be teaching the next generation, and were all overly emotional and easily indoctrinated. We see the results of this now. :hairpull:

The physics equivalent of "Rocks for Jocks"

I took a World Geography class to satisfy my sociology requirement (the thought of sitting through a sociology or psychology course made me shudder even then). Only 3 of the ~25 students were not Primary Education majors. My experience was the same as yours. As the semester progressed, it came to me in vivid technicolor what the problem was in our 'education' system.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users