RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: CNN Anchor Thinks Star-Spangled Banner Is French National Anthem - RightNation.US

Jump to content

CNN Anchor Thinks Star-Spangled Banner Is French National Anthem Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   firecoco 

  • Yes! We! Can!
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 14,305
  • Joined: 21-October 03

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 14 July 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

I can't recall which films have done this, but one of my favorite comedy elements is when a film shows a capitol or well-known landmark whilst playing the WRONG national anthem.

Like, showing #10 Downing Street to "La Marseilleise"... or the Eiffel Tower to "Das Deutschlandlied", etc., etc.

THAT SAID, on a more serious and poignant note, My absolute FAVORITE concert moment not involving anyone named "Pink Floyd" is Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops doing the 1812 overture as part of the July 4 1976 Bicentennial celebration. Bear in mind that 1812 contains bits of both the French and Russian national anthems plus a Russian orthodox hymn "O Lord, Save Thy People".

Nevermind the nationalities, I "got" it; it's all about a formative nation overcoming the odds. Which we Americans know a thing or two about.

Skip a bit, brother, to about 12:30 or so in the below...



:salute:

Why would you want to skip over any part of a masterpiece of music?
0

#42 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 46,286
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 14 July 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

Well, Harrison allegedly preferred "customs" and "one-offs".

But - just based on 'ear' - I'd say a Gibson "Les Paul" just based on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Second choice would be Fender Stratocaster. There really aren't any #3 or #4 choices.


Eric Clapton played the lead guitar part on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

It's true it was played on a Les Paul, but not by George. George did once own a Les Paul, but he also owned other Gibson models. Mostly hollow-bodies like the ES335 and ES345, and included at least one SG.

The only Stratocaster I know about was the '61 model he got in '65, and painted with "Day-Glo" paint. You can see him playing it in the movie "Magical Mystery Tour".

I have no idea where you got the notion he preferred customs & one-offs.

Just curious - Did you read the dissertation on his guitars I linked in post #36?

B)
0

#43 User is offline   oki 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 21,125
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 14 July 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Hey Oki - If you're still interested (and have plenty of time, LOL), I've found a pretty indepth account of Harrison's guitars over the years:

http://www.thecantee.../harrison1.html

You have to keep clicking the "Onward to Part ______" at the bottom of each page. So far I'm up to part 9.

Enjoy!

(Edited to add): I didn't realize how close to the end I was. It goes to part 10.

:D


Will have to do that sometime. Maybe I am wrong, but just seems that for most guitarists they seem to only have a couple guitars or even one throughout their careers. Kinda' like early on they have one or two, switch up, maybe as time goes by they make enough money to afford a variety, try different ones and settle on something? But yeah, Harrison played a big variety. Maybe he was just such a consummate professional that it had to have specific sound and would play what gave that exact sound? Not someone who believed in close enough or the studio can edit it and make it sound this way.

Either way, any opportunity I can get to stump a Beatles or Music affectionato such as yourself I am sure as hell going to take. :tongue2:

Oki
0

#44 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 46,286
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

View Postoki, on 17 July 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

Will have to do that sometime. Maybe I am wrong, but just seems that for most guitarists they seem to only have a couple guitars or even one throughout their careers. Kinda' like early on they have one or two, switch up, maybe as time goes by they make enough money to afford a variety, try different ones and settle on something? But yeah, Harrison played a big variety. Maybe he was just such a consummate professional that it had to have specific sound and would play what gave that exact sound? Not someone who believed in close enough or the studio can edit it and make it sound this way.

Either way, any opportunity I can get to stump a Beatles or Music affectionato such as yourself I am sure as hell going to take. :tongue2:

Oki


I once started a thread here at RN, several years ago, challenging everybody to try to stump me on Beatles trivia.

Nobody could.

(Mind you, I mean specifically Beatles as a group, not individual careers after the breakup of the band. I don't pretend to know everything about post-Beatle careers. But from late-50's through 1969-70? Ya can't stump me.)

:D
0

#45 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 17,036
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 15 July 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

Eric Clapton played the lead guitar part on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

It's true it was played on a Les Paul, but not by George. George did once own a Les Paul, but he also owned other Gibson models. Mostly hollow-bodies like the ES335 and ES345, and included at least one SG.

The only Stratocaster I know about was the '61 model he got in '65, and painted with "Day-Glo" paint. You can see him playing it in the movie "Magical Mystery Tour".

I have no idea where you got the notion he preferred customs & one-offs.

Just curious - Did you read the dissertation on his guitars I linked in post #36?

B)


I will concede: I can't cite that. In the '70's and '80s I was a avid reader of magazines about, not "music" or "musicians" per se but about the equipment. Particularly Audio (Audio Engineering society) and High Fidelity.

I'm POSITIVE I read this somewhere along the way, but I just can't place it.

I will concede.
0

#46 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 46,286
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 17 July 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

I will concede: I can't cite that. In the '70's and '80s I was a avid reader of magazines about, not "music" or "musicians" per se but about the equipment. Particularly Audio (Audio Engineering society) and High Fidelity.

I'm POSITIVE I read this somewhere along the way, but I just can't place it.

I will concede.


Well, to get specific: It was your use of the word "preferred" that hooked my attention. It's true that over the years he owned a few customs and one-offs, but only because they were given to him, mostly by guitar manufacturers wanting the prestige and advertising of a Beatle playing one of their guitars.

One example would be this Vox Mando-Guitar V257, given to him by the Vox guitar company:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/ct/guitar/mando.gif

And here's a picture of Brian Jones (Rolling Stones) playing one:

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/abstract/images/Vox%20Mando%20Guitar%20Brian%20Jones.jpg

But to the best of my knowledge George never used it, neither for recording nor onstage.

B)
0

#47 User is offline   homerland1205 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 11-July 17

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostLadybird, on 14 July 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

I was thinking exactly that!
Love, love, love..


That really does fit their country.
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users