RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: How Do You Feel About Death - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do You Feel About Death Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   ilja 

• Go ahead, read my mind!!!
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

I was just talking about Death in the Alex Trebek Thread & it hit me that I am no longer scared about Death & I thought that was rather strange. I thought that was probably not true all the time.

I thought if I thought there are probably moments when I would be scared such as last night when I was taking a bath and my phone went off with a warning sound but I couldn't get to it to find out what the sound meant but being here in TN suspected that it could be a Tornado warning, I was a wee bit scared, it could be my final moments here on Earth. Then, yes I was scared I was going to die.

Then there was the moment in the car today when my warning sounds came on to brake because I was coming up to a lot of slow traffic and I have this new fangled system on my new car that I'm not used to so I hurried up and switched lanes to keep from running into the cars in front of me, so I quit breathing so heavily & I didn't die, once again I was relieved but I wasn't really scared that time, still I was glad I didn't die.

But see what I mean. I don't want to die.

So how do you feel about death. Are you ready? What do you think about it? Do you think about it? Do you know where you are going when you die? How confident are you?

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:29 PM

Me, I'm ready. Naturally I'd rather not die. I love my sweetie, I love my grandson, and I'd like to keep on living for a while in order to keep enjoying their company. But I'm satisfied that I've lived a good, honest, worthwhile life. I'm going to Heaven. No fear here.

And as for fulfillment/excitement/whatever, I've lived a life like very few have been lucky enough to live. I've been a lead singer in a popular rock-n-roll band, I've been an officer in a notorious outlaw motorcycle club, I've had more parties, good times, sex, drunks, etc than any other ten guys I've ever met. I wouldn't be one of those guys lying in their death-bed thinking "Damn, I wish I would've..." Nope, not me. Everything I ever wanted to do, I've done.

:yes:

#3 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:05 AM

View Postilja, on 10 March 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

I was just talking about Death in the Alex Trebek Thread & it hit me that I am no longer scared about Death & I thought that was rather strange. I thought that was probably not true all the time.

I thought if I thought there are probably moments when I would be scared such as last night when I was taking a bath and my phone went off with a warning sound but I couldn't get to it to find out what the sound meant but being here in TN suspected that it could be a Tornado warning, I was a wee bit scared, it could be my final moments here on Earth. Then, yes I was scared I was going to die.

Then there was the moment in the car today when my warning sounds came on to brake because I was coming up to a lot of slow traffic and I have this new fangled system on my new car that I'm not used to so I hurried up and switched lanes to keep from running into the cars in front of me, so I quit breathing so heavily & I didn't die, once again I was relieved but I wasn't really scared that time, still I was glad I didn't die.

So how do you feel about death. Are you ready? What do you think about it? Do you think about it? Do you know where you are going when you die? How confident are you?

I think of it sometimes and I'm not nearly as ready in practical terms (will, other paperwork, etc) as I should be. As for where I'll end up, I do my best, the rest isn't up to me.

As an aside, is that your user name or a subreddit you follow there in your signature?

#4 User is offline   rogerg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

[Heb 9:27 KJV] 27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

#5 User is offline   rogerg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

[Heb 9:27 KJV] 27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

#6 User is online   ilja 

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:50 AM

View PostModerator T, on 11 March 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

I think of it sometimes and I'm not nearly as ready in practical terms (will, other paperwork, etc) as I should be. As for where I'll end up, I do my best, the rest isn't up to me.

As an aside, is that your user name or a subreddit you follow there in your signature?

Nah, that's just a post I saw that I liked.

Yeah, I need to get more ready to be honest. I was feeling all ready when I wrote that post but as I wrote this one, I started realizing I'm not nearly as ready as I thought I was.

I had surgery about 3 years ago and wrote this spreadsheet on my computer for my son in case he needed something to figure out my finances & haven't updated it since then. I've sold a house & made a lot of financial changes since then. I need to get busy. Life does change fast doesn't it. :)

This post has been edited by ilja: 14 March 2019 - 05:52 AM

#7 User is offline   NumeroInsight 

• Group: Registered Guest

Posted Today, 02:08 PM

My mother, who was deeply religious, died a few years ago. I was her great failure in life, as unlike my siblings I'm not conventionally religious. Based on the evidence available in the structure of the universe, I'm pretty sure god is inescapable, and equally sure that scripture--everyone's scripture--is a human creation that has nothing to do with god. Sorry, Mom.

We had a number of conversations in the weeks and months before her death that touched on these issues, neither wanting to open old arguments, both wanting to be understood.

The way I summed it up, which I think she understood, was: "You have faith. I have curiosity. To me, death is the last great experiment, and we only find out what the result is, if any, after it happens."

She replied that she knew what would happen. And we left it at that: god's architecture is subtle enough that it took me most of a lifetime studying metaphysics and the quantum universe to see it, and to understand how clearly it spoke against scripture. My mother was quite intellectually formidable, but I wasn't going to change her opinion so late in the day, and it wouldn't have been to anyone's particular benefit if I had.

This remains my take on death: neither I nor anyone else, least of all the people who wrote currently popular scriptures, can know what happens after. We can know that there is something beyond space and time, singular, utterly incomprehensible to beings like us, and underpinning or sustaining all of what we are wont to call "reality".

We can also know that that "something" is so perfectly incomprehensible that it is impossible--for us, by our nature and the physics our lives depend on--to have ever received any communication of any form from it. If we did, this universe would cease to be because its existence depends on the absolute unknowability of certain things.

It's like if you take your car to a mechanically competent engineer, they have what amounts to absolute power and perfect knowledge of the engine: they could design it, build it, repair it, dismantle it, rebuild it, and so on. But they can't take it apart and have it run at the same time. This is not a limitation of the engineer, but fact about the nature of engines.

In the same way, the operation of reality as we know it requires god stay hands-off, and we can infer this from careful observation of the universe. And I'm the sort of person who takes the universe--whose foundations were laid without the touch of human hands--over words in books that were written, transcribed, translated, printed, and published by humans. Humans sometimes make mistakes. I know I do. But I'm pretty sure that the universe, unlike scripture, is not a human artifact.

I sometimes call this view "quantum deism", although it isn't really much like the beliefs of the original deists, whose views of god were heavily influenced by the scriptures they claimed to reject.

So I expect to face death with a good deal of curiosity, as I'll finally find out what comes next. Or not, if there is nothing.

Either way, only then will the experiment have a result.

#8 User is online   ilja 

• View blog

Posted Today, 07:55 PM

Thanks NumeroInsight for just happening to bring this thread back alive at this very instance. This is what I would call a Godincidence. :whistling:

I have recently been sick, so sick that I ended up in the hospital facing a possible illness that would have changed my life so completely that I told my son I would rather die than live like that. While it didn't seem like I was getting better at first, after much prayer from my family and loved ones and my son pushing me to do my part to get better even if it made me sick such as eat, I did finally start to turn around.

It was only towards the end of my stay when I learned just how sick I really had been when the doctor was informing me of the numbers of some of my tests during admittance. When I finally got to leave, and did you know they let you walk out these days if you can, you don't have to ride in a wheelchair, I was on cloud 9 and have been ever since.

I am so grateful to be alive and to not have to live a life like I was afraid I would be. This is part of the reason, I so admire Jay and others of you. I am such a wuss and do not know how those of you who face long term illnesses, do it with such courage and dignity. I have even greater respect for you than previously after what I went through.

It is only because of God why I was thinking when it was happening that even though I didn't want to live like that, I also would do nothing to end my life sooner than God did. I was mainly thinking at the time that I would rather God end my life than to suffer and not be able to take care of myself completely.

And yet, today I am so looking forward to what I consider my It's a Wonderful Life Christmas because right now I am just so grateful to be alive and able to take care of myself, that I have barely stepped off of this cloud.

So even though I was thinking it would be better to go to Heaven, I am so glad that God has not called me home yet. The day I walked out of that hospital, I felt like it was my Plus 1 day. My life plus 1 more day. Now I feel like each day of my life is a gift that I was afraid I would not have and am so blessed by how much things have changed, mostly within me.

Thank you for letting me get to know you guys after all these years. I love this board.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users